anything under wetsuit??

J

Joel Markovitz

Hi Group,

I'm training for my first triathlon here in Chicago. Lake Michigan never really warms up to a
comfortable level (IMO, I'm sure others will disagree) and have decided that I will most likely need
to get a wetsuit. I'm going to be doing my first open water training at the end of the month and the
water temp is currently in the 50's. Any place I can find used/cheap trisuits?? Also, and this is
going to sound really dumb....what does one wear underneath the wetsuit...a speedo??? a jammer??
i've heard that shaving my legs will help getting in and out much easier. IS this really neccessary
or will ample amounts of Body Glide work just as well.

Thanks!!

Joel

You can wear anything from speedos to cycling shorts and a sleevless jersey. No need to shave
either. ky jelly, spam, baby oil and body glide (more $$$) will work. If the suit fits well, it'll
come out no problem. I am short, fat and with big thighs and calves, dont' shave and the wet suit
goes on and comes out just fine.

Andres

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (AndresMuro) wrote:

> You can wear anything from speedos to cycling shorts and a sleevless jersey. No need to shave
> either. ky jelly, spam, baby oil and body glide (more $$$) will work. If the suit fits well, it'll
> come out no problem. I am short, fat and with big thighs and calves, dont' shave and the wet suit
> goes on and comes out just fine.

I think trying to lube yourself into a wetsuit using SPAM would be one of the most disgusting things
imaginable! Yuck!

Pam, OTOH, might work, but it supposedly breaks down the wetsuit material over time.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson

[email protected] (Joel Markovitz) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi Group,
>
> I'm training for my first triathlon here in Chicago. Lake Michigan never really warms up to a
> comfortable level (IMO, I'm sure others will disagree) and have decided that I will most likely
> need to get a wetsuit. I'm going to be doing my first open water training at the end of the month
> and the water temp is currently in the 50's. Any place I can find used/cheap trisuits?? Also, and
> this is going to sound really dumb....what does one wear underneath the wetsuit...a speedo??? a
> jammer?? i've heard that shaving my legs will help getting in and out much easier. IS this really
> neccessary or will ample amounts of Body Glide work just as well.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Joel

Anything from a tux (007) to a thong would probably work--just remember you'll probably want to do
the rest of the race in the outfit. A racing wetsuit peels off; most people have little difficulty
getting out of the suit fast (practice it a few times). Body Glide or the old standby PAM work
equally well. Good luck and have fun.

I recommend BodyGlide. Pam can break down the rubber and foam in the wetsuit, over time.

Steve

[email protected] (Roger Wrolstad) wrote in message
> [email protected] (Joel Markovitz) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I'm training for my first triathlon here in Chicago. Lake Michigan never really warms up to a
> > comfortable level (IMO, I'm sure others will disagree) and have decided that I will most likely
> > need to get a wetsuit. I'm going to be doing my first open water training at the end of the
> > month and the water temp is currently in the 50's. Any place I can find used/cheap trisuits??
> > Also, and this is going to sound really dumb....what does one wear underneath the wetsuit...a
> > speedo??? a jammer?? i've heard that shaving my legs will help getting in and out much easier.
> > IS this really neccessary or will ample amounts of Body Glide work just as well.
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Joel
>
> Anything from a tux (007) to a thong would probably work--just remember you'll probably want to do
> the rest of the race in the outfit. A racing wetsuit peels off; most people have little difficulty
> getting out of the suit fast (practice it a few times). Body Glide or the old standby PAM work
> equally well. Good luck and have fun.

Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (AndresMuro) wrote:
>> You can wear anything from speedos to cycling shorts and a sleevless jersey. No need to shave
>> either. ky jelly, spam, baby oil and body glide (more $$$) will work. If the suit fits well,
>> it'll come out no problem. I

> I think trying to lube yourself into a wetsuit using SPAM would be one of the most disgusting
> things imaginable! Yuck!
>

Damn! Thought I'd found a use for all of that junk mail!

......reminds me of my volunteer stint body-marking triathletes before IMFla a few years ago: one
guy showed up wearing his wetsuit and only wanted me to mark his arms. When i explained that i
needed to mark his legs as well, he confessed that he had nothing on under his
wetsuit......apparently, he thought he'd save time in T1.......i warned him to avoid the wetsuit
'strippers' after the swim.......

"Roger Wrolstad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > I'm training for my first triathlon here in Chicago. Lake Michigan never really warms up to a
> > comfortable level (IMO, I'm sure others will disagree) and have decided that I will most likely
> > need to get a wetsuit. I'm going to be doing my first open water training at the end of the
> > month and the water temp is currently in the 50's. Any place I can find used/cheap trisuits??
> > Also, and this is going to sound really dumb....what does one wear underneath the wetsuit...a
> > speedo??? a jammer?? i've heard that shaving my legs will help getting in and out much easier.
> > IS this really neccessary or will ample amounts of Body Glide work just as well.
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Joel
>
> Anything from a tux (007) to a thong would probably work--just remember you'll probably want to do
> the rest of the race in the outfit. A racing wetsuit peels off; most people have little difficulty
> getting out of the suit fast (practice it a few times). Body Glide or the old standby PAM work

......reminds me of the time I volunteered as a body marker at IMFla: One guy showed up all zipped
into his wetsuit and requested that I only mark his arms. When I explained that I also needed to
mark his legs, he confessed that he didn't have anything on under his wetsuit.....apparently, he
thought he'd save time in T1 that way......I warned him to avoid the wetsuit 'strippers' when he got
out of the water.....

"Roger Wrolstad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Hi Group,
> >
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Joel
>

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Roger Wrolstad) wrote:

> > Hi Group,
> >
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Joel
>

Ha! great reference to James Bond there. actually, it would be great fun to do that for a lark in a
race... wear a tux under the wetsuit - finish the swim then watch the looks on people's faces as
you unzip.

of course the tux should be tear-away (velcro in the back?) with your tri suit underneath, then
you're ready to go.

Cam

[email protected] (Joel Markovitz) wrote in message
> Hi Group,
>
> I'm training for my first triathlon here in Chicago. Lake Michigan never really warms up to a
> comfortable level (IMO, I'm sure others will disagree) and have decided that I will most likely
> need to get a wetsuit. I'm going to be doing my first open water training at the end of the month
> and the water temp is currently in the 50's. Any place I can find used/cheap trisuits?? Also, and
> this is going to sound really dumb....what does one wear underneath the wetsuit...a speedo??? a
> jammer?? i've heard that shaving my legs will help getting in and out much easier. IS this really
> neccessary or will ample amounts of Body Glide work just as well.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Joel

I usually wear my tri shorts and tri top under my wetsuit. Not restricting at all and saves a load
of hassle in T1. I've seen some folk even wearing their number belts to speed things up as well.

Shaving legs to get out of wetsuits ??!! I have never had a problem getting out of mine without
using Body Glide or such. Not sure the 2 second increase in time is worth the hassle!

Good luck with the event!

Singlet or tri shorts and top. I wear my race belt and number as well as I forgot the damned belt in
a tri in '01. The simpler the better!

Changing/adding clothes in transition is a pain in the ****.

[email protected] (Ken) wrote in message
> > Hi Group,
> >
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Joel
>
> I usually wear my tri shorts and tri top under my wetsuit. Not restricting at all and saves a load
> of hassle in T1. I've seen some folk even wearing their number belts to speed things up as well.
>
> Shaving legs to get out of wetsuits ??!! I have never had a problem getting out of mine without
> using Body Glide or such. Not sure the 2 second increase in time is worth the hassle!
>
> Good luck with the event!