AOL dumps newsgroups

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by MikeYankee, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. MikeYankee

    MikeYankee Guest

    Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
    effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
    below).

    When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
    feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking them to
    reduce their service.

    If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks, use keyword "Tell Us"
    and let those bastards hear from you.

    ----------------- actual text of AOL message ------------------------

    Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

    For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able to
    access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
    contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
    services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as Mozilla
    Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).

    Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
    http://groups.google.com/.

    We apologize for this inconvenience.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
    To reply, delete everything after "com".)

    Tags:

  2. Boyle M. Owl

    Boyle M. Owl Guest

    MikeYankee wrote:

    > Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
    > effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
    > below).

    Maybe this is a good thing. Maybe WebTV (msft) should follow suit.

    > When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
    > feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking them to
    > reduce their service.

    So? Use another service. Vote with your feet and your wallet.

    Please note that there are free nntp servers all over the place. Google
    for them. Also note, though, that such servers are also devoid of pr0n
    groups, and only carry text, and will add text groups individually if
    asked for *nicely*. If your gripe is about your source of pr0n and
    warez disappearing, then maybe you should explore other areas of the
    'net as it is a vast place.

    --
    BMO

  3. > Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on
    > newsgroups to the effect that it would no longer support
    > newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see below).

    Yet another good reason to dump AOL.

    > When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy
    > "was based on user feedback" -- yeah, like we've all
    > been banging down AOL's door asking them to reduce
    > their service.

    That's the internet industry standard explanation for policy, used by
    AOL, MSN, eBay, etcetera, and it's almost always a lie.

    > If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks,
    > use keyword "Tell Us" and let those bastards hear from you.

    Better still, call customer "service" and tell them you want to leave
    the AOL "Community" and why. They will very likely offer you a few
    months free service to stay; then quit after the end of the freebie.

  4. MikeYankee wrote:

    > Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
    > effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
    > below).

    If this is true, everyone else on Usenet is going "Woo-hoo!"

  5. GPSBlake

    GPSBlake Guest

    Boyle M. Owl wrote:

    > Please note that there are free nntp servers all over the place.

    Actually they aren't that many that allow you to post. That is because
    the spammers run them into the ground. Google is still free to post but
    they lag a few hours on posting and the new beta version of it totally
    sucks. I never liked AOL's newsgroup set up in the first place. That is
    why I switched to BellSouth.

  6. Boyle M. Owl

    Boyle M. Owl Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > If this is true, everyone else on Usenet is going "Woo-hoo!"

    AOL used to be the bottom of the barrel before WebTV came out.

    --
    BMO

  7. whinds

    whinds Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (MikeYankee) writes:

    >Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
    >effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
    >below).
    >
    >When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
    >feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking them to
    >reduce their service.
    >
    >If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks, use keyword "Tell Us"
    >and let those bastards hear from you.

    Well they should quit. They can't provide even adequate newsgroup service
    anyway. For months they have lost my orignal group postings and replies to
    groups, those that do manage to be posted are often 2-3 weeks late. I for one
    will quit or reduce my membership as soon as they do away with the bicycle
    newsgroups. Why should I go to a third party to provide the one service that is
    important to me? I'm guessing that most people, intelligent enough to see the
    value in newsgroups, don't desire to pay premium prices for such an inferior
    service provider as AOL.

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    > If this is true, everyone else on Usenet is going "Woo-hoo!"

    Except for a few errant guillamets it doesn't look different
    to me. I never saw whatever the problem was.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  9. MikeYankee wrote:

    >>> Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups
    >>> to the effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005"

    > Zog Undeniably wrote:
    >
    >> If this is true, everyone else on Usenet is going "Woo-hoo!"

    Amen!

    Andy Muzi wrote:

    > Except for a few errant guillamets it doesn't look different to me. I
    > never saw whatever the problem was.

    The problem is that the guillemets are missing from the beginnings of
    the lines, causing longer quotations to look like new text.

    But I'm really writing to thank Andy for sharing the word "guillemet"
    with us, I'm always delighted to add new arcana to my vocabulary!

    Sheldon <<French Quotation Marks>> Brown
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    | When it is dark enough you can see the stars. |
    | --R.W. Emerson |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

    GPSBlake wrote:

    > Actually they aren't that many that allow you to post. That is because
    > the spammers run them into the ground.

    I mostly use news.individual.net, works great except it doesn't do any
    of the binaries newsgroups.

    > Google is still free to post but
    > they lag a few hours on posting and the new beta version of it totally
    > sucks.

    Actually, the new beta version seems to have fixed the delay. I'm not
    convinced that it's a step backward, but it is certainly different.
    Whenever an interface gets changed the initial reaction from experienced
    users is dismay, because of the unfamiliarity.

    I went throught the same thing going from DOS to Mac years ago, then
    again recently with the move from OS9 to OSX, but once past the learning
    process, each of these has been a real improvement.

    This is probably why I am sticking with Netscape's news reader, even
    though I don't much use their browser anymroe (Safari, Firefox.)

    > I never liked AOL's newsgroup set up in the first place. That is
    > why I switched to BellSouth.

    Me too. I also don't like using an email address that doesn't belong to
    me. I don't see why all users don't buy their own domains.

    Peter Chisholm already owns one, f'chrissake! It's crazy for him to
    still be using that AOL address.

    Sheldon "Used To Be [email protected] Before I Took Off
    The Training Wheels" Brown
    | Cyclists fare best when they act and |
    | are treated as drivers of vehicles. |
    | -- John Forester |
    | http://www.johnforester.com/ |

  11. Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > I mostly use news.individual.net, works great except it doesn't do any
    > of the binaries newsgroups.

    I number of people have mentioned this point, but it seems to me that the
    web has mostly obsoleted binaries newsgroups. Do people still use these
    for anything useful (did they ever?)

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Tip the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.
    -- Frank Lloyd Wright

  12. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Benjamin Lewis wrote:

    > Sheldon Brown wrote:
    >
    >> I mostly use news.individual.net, works great except it doesn't do
    >> any of the binaries newsgroups.

    > I number of people have mentioned this point, but it seems to me that
    > the web has mostly obsoleted binaries newsgroups. Do people still
    > use these for anything useful (did they ever?)

    Apparently enough customers of major ISPs want porn and warez that they can't
    afford not to offer it. But if an alternative news provider simply cuts this
    stuff out, they can offer regular text service at very low cost or free (like
    news.individual.net).

    It's ironic that the alternative provider is the one who shuns "Alternative."
    It's hip to be square!

    Matt O.

  13. Benjamin Lewis composed the following;:
    > Sheldon Brown wrote:
    >
    >> I mostly use news.individual.net, works great except it doesn't do
    >> any of the binaries newsgroups.

    > I number of people have mentioned this point, but it seems to me that
    > the web has mostly obsoleted binaries newsgroups. Do people still
    > use these for anything useful

    Yes. Posting pictures without the costs/problems of web-hosting, for
    one.

    > (did they ever?)

    Yes, see above.

    --
    The Caretaker.
    www.4x4prejudice.org

  14. Benjamin Lewis wrote:

    > I number of people have mentioned this point, but it seems to me that the
    > web has mostly obsoleted binaries newsgroups. Do people still use these
    > for anything useful (did they ever?)

    Pirate software, movies, music....

  15. Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > Benjamin Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> I number of people have mentioned this point, but it seems to me that
    >> the web has mostly obsoleted binaries newsgroups. Do people still use
    >> these for anything useful (did they ever?)
    >>

    > Pirate software, movies, music....

    That's what peer-to-peer network software is for ;P

    --

  16. On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:19:17 -0800, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

    > I number of people have mentioned this point, but it seems to me that the
    > web has mostly obsoleted binaries newsgroups. Do people still use these
    > for anything useful (did they ever?)

    No and yes. There was a time that such newsgroups were the best way to
    make tarred-up program source, much less binaries, available. Typically
    broken up into 64kb bits, which you would download and cat together. But
    now? Just for pirated programs and porn.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics, I can
    _`\(,_ | assure you that mine are all greater. -- A. Einstein