AOL dumps newsgroups

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.marketplace' started by MikeYankee, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. MikeYankee

    MikeYankee Guest

    Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
    effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
    below).

    When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
    feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking them to
    reduce their service.

    If you're an AOL user and you think this really stinks, use keyword "Tell Us"
    and let those bastards hear from you.

    ----------------- actual text of AOL message ------------------------

    Please Note: The AOL Newsgroup service will be discontinued in early 2005.

    For members using AOL over a dial-up connection, you will no longer be able to
    access Newsgroups. If you have a separate high-speed connection, you can
    contact your broadband provider to see if they offer Newsgroups. Newsgroup
    services can often be accessed through a third party reader, such as Mozilla
    Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/).

    Alternatively, you can access Newsgroups via Google at
    http://groups.google.com/.

    We apologize for this inconvenience.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers.
    To reply, delete everything after "com".)

    Tags:

  2. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
    > effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
    > below).
    >
    > When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
    > feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking them to
    > reduce their service.

    The feedback was probably that very few of their users were using
    NewsGroups; not enough to justify their continuing to support them.

    newsgroups if possible).

  3. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    David Kerber wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    >>Yesterday AOL flashed a message to all users clicking on newsgroups to the
    >>effect that it would no longer support newsgroups as of "early 2005" (see
    >>below).
    >>
    >>When I inquired about this, AOL said this new policy "was based on user
    >>feedback" -- yeah, like we've all been banging down AOL's door asking them to
    >>reduce their service.

    > The feedback was probably that very few of their users were using
    > NewsGroups; not enough to justify their continuing to support them.

    Breaks down to ROI. It is always about money.

    jim