AORC, and the winner is ....

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Bleve, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Not allowed to wear the Aust Champs jersey! *what*?!

    Will Walker, despite winning the AORC today, is not the AORC champion,
    Russel van Hout is (who finished 3rd!). Will's 20, and therefore is
    not eligable.

    Good call Roo, you were right about him being a chance. I didn't think
    he'd have it, but he did.

    Tags:

  2. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    180 starters... and only 21 finished the race!? damn!...

    cheers,
    GPL

  3. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Cycling winner denied champion status
    http://theage.com.au/news/Sport/Cycling-winner-denied-champion-status/2006/01/14/1137119000798.html
    January 14, 2006 - 5:14PM

    The Australian road cycling championships ended in confusion and controversy when men's road race winner Will Walker was denied the coveted national jersey.

    The 20-year-old rising star from Melbourne was shattered when he learnt soon after his win that he would be awarded the under-23 jersey, but not the open jersey.

    It was a bizarre sight at the awards podium where Walker and third-placed Russell Van Hout, the top-placed open competitor, were standing next to each other wearing near-identical national champion jerseys.

    Straight after the finish Walker's reaction was: "It feels pretty good being a 20-year-old national champion."

    When the jersey situation was explained to him, his mood changed dramatically.

    "That's ruined my day then, that's a bit disappointing, I can't really understand those rules, but I guess that's life," he said.

    Later he added: "We race against the pros, we should be able to wear a pro jersey, it seems ridiculous that they can't do it - they should change it."

    Walker's long-time coach Dave Sanders pointed out the absurdity of the situation.

    "Jan Ullrich was under-23 when he won the Tour de France (1997), let's get real," he said.

    Cycling Australia (CA) wanted to run separate open and under-23 road races this year, but organisers were locked into one event.

    The race contract is currently up for tender and from next year the two races will be separate.

    Walker finished by himself, 27 seconds ahead of a seven-rider sprint, after making a solo attack over the last 15km.

    Open competitor Henk Vogels crossed the line fifth and was furious when he learned that he could have still won the national jersey.

    "I was not aware of that fact, what a kick in the guts," Vogels said.

    Vogels was already seething because Gene Bates nearly sent him into the barriers as they sprinted to the line.

    Bates, who apologised to Vogels, was relegated from fourth to eighth for irregular sprinting after protests and appeals that lasted an hour, delaying the awards ceremony.

    Van Hout took third behind another under-23 rider, Tasmanian Wes Sulzberger, and was delighted to win the open jersey.

    "It's big, it's huge.....all the big guys have won this," Van Hout said.

    A crash at 4km into the 175.5km race also brought down more than 30 riders and dramatically changed the nature of the event.

    Big guns such as Allan Davis and Luke Roberts had to pull out early with mechanical problems, while defending champion Robbie McEwen was well off his best form and did not finish.

    Only 25 riders finished from a field of about 180.

    The 19.5km Mt Torrens circuit was making its debut as a national championships venue.

  4. cfsmtb

[...]

  5. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    and I didnt place a bet either...darn it ! could've cleaned up big time :(

  6. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    That is one of the STUPIDEST things I've heard this week. Why can't he be the national champ and the Under 23 champ if he is good enough?!?!? Absurd I say! :eek:

  7. dave

    dave Guest

    SuzieB wrote:
    > That is one of the STUPIDEST things I've heard this week. Why can't he
    > be the national champ and the Under 23 champ if he is good enough?!?!?
    > Absurd I say! :eek:

    Beaurocraps :)

  8. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Robbie's comments about making the CommGames under25's only kinda makes sense now...

  9. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    umm how come only 25 finished the race ?? what the race was that tough, or they just could not be stuffed finishing, when they knew they were not going to win ???? If that is the case, that is very sad.

    does not surprise me at all, the under 23/open thing... this is the sort of thing that happens all the time in Australian sports doesn't it.?? stupid rules by stupid people.

  10. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Not allowed to wear the Aust Champs jersey! *what*?!
    >
    > Will Walker, despite winning the AORC today, is not the AORC champion,
    > Russel van Hout is (who finished 3rd!). Will's 20, and therefore is
    > not eligable.
    >
    > Good call Roo, you were right about him being a chance. I didn't think
    > he'd have it, but he did.

    He'd be feeling quite justifiably pissed off, I can imagine. Weirdness.

  11. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    Resound wrote -

    > He'd be feeling quite justifiably pissed off, I can imagine. Weirdness.

    The "logic" is that you can only win or place in the event you entered - if
    you entered U23 then that's the best you can win - a less than perfect
    arrangement but them's the rules - pity they don't make them more explicit.

    best, Andrew

  12. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Resound wrote:
    > "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Not allowed to wear the Aust Champs jersey! *what*?!
    >>
    >>Will Walker, despite winning the AORC today, is not the AORC champion,
    >>Russel van Hout is (who finished 3rd!). Will's 20, and therefore is
    >>not eligable.
    >>
    >>Good call Roo, you were right about him being a chance. I didn't think
    >>he'd have it, but he did.
    >>

    > He'd be feeling quite justifiably pissed off, I can imagine. Weirdness.

    Even worse, imagine having to live the lie of being the "Elite Winner"
    when in actual fact you only came third. It's a lose-lose situation.

  13. adam85

    adam85 Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Not allowed to wear the Aust Champs jersey! *what*?!
    >
    > Will Walker, despite winning the AORC today, is not the AORC champion,
    > Russel van Hout is (who finished 3rd!). Will's 20, and therefore is
    > not eligable.

    I reckon it's crap. Either run them as two seperate events, or if combined
    if you win outright you should win both classes. It seems many riders were
    mistaken about the rules.

    Adam

  14. Maverick5

    Maverick5 New Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2004
    The reason this happened is because the peloton was pulled off the course on I think lap 8 because the leading break and chase group were deemed to be too close and possibly a chance of lapping the peloton, so the Commissaires told them to stop, and this is why the overwhelming majority did not finish.

  15. jcjordan

    jcjordan New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2004
    The problem stems from the fact that Will is not a Elite level rider, ie he rides for a Division 3 team (Rabobanks feeder team) and as such is not elegible for the top level jersey, regardless of age.

    As for the level of loss of riders during the race, this was down to the criteriam rule that Cycling Australia brought in after a debacle that happened at the first stage of the Tour Down Under in 2004 where the lead bunch lapped the peleton and created a whole lot of confusion. The response was that on any crit where the riders at the back are going to be caught, ie the leaders are more then 1/2 around the track ahead of the rear, then those riders must withdraw.

  16. dave

    dave Guest

    adam85 wrote:
    > "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Not allowed to wear the Aust Champs jersey! *what*?!
    >>
    >>Will Walker, despite winning the AORC today, is not the AORC champion,
    >>Russel van Hout is (who finished 3rd!). Will's 20, and therefore is
    >>not eligable.

    > I reckon it's crap. Either run them as two seperate events, or if combined
    > if you win outright you should win both classes. It seems many riders were
    > mistaken about the rules.
    >
    > Adam

    It does suck. If a junior (Well you know) wins the outright event we
    wont let him keep it cos he is a junior. Hmmmmmm

    Dave

  17. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-01-15, jcjordan (aka Bruce)
    > As for the level of loss of riders during the race, this was down to
    > the criteriam rule that Cycling Australia brought in after a debacle
    > that happened at the first stage of the Tour Down Under in 2004 where
    > the lead bunch lapped the peleton and created a whole lot of confusion.
    > The response was that on any crit where the riders at the back are
    > going to be caught, ie the leaders are more then 1/2 around the track
    > ahead of the rear, then those riders must withdraw.

    So what happens then, when 2 riders in a breakaway lap the field?

    Mwah!

    --
    TimC
    Jun 26 14:08:17 kernel: troll-o-meter (pid 15134) killed: memory exhausted

  18. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    jcjordan wrote:

    > As for the level of loss of riders during the race, this was down to
    > the criteriam rule that Cycling Australia brought in after a debacle
    > that happened at the first stage of the Tour Down Under in 2004 where
    > the lead bunch lapped the peleton and created a whole lot of confusion.
    > The response was that on any crit where the riders at the back are
    > going to be caught, ie the leaders are more then 1/2 around the track
    > ahead of the rear, then those riders must withdraw.

    The AORC was not a criterium. I haven't seen the rule though, so don't
    know if it applies to long lap road races.

  19. cameron41

    cameron41 New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Has nothing to do with what division he rides in. Plenty of seniors ride in division 3.

  20. jcjordan

    jcjordan New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2004
    By the rules it is seen as one as the race is done on a repeated loop track