Apollo Bay - Bells Beach ride

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by aeon16, Oct 2, 2003.

  1. aeon16

    aeon16 Guest

    Hi all.

    Friends and I are thinking of trying out the Great Ocean Road stretch.

    Possibly the stretch of Apollo Bay through to Bells Beach.

    Has anyone done this? Any suggestions/ recommendations?

    Also, where would be the best bike hire place down there. I'm not taking
    my baby. :)

  2. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    <head>
    </head>
    <b>Greetings, <br>
    Done the Ocean Rd a few times, which of course goes all
    the way to Warrnambool, but is more hilly after Apollo Bay. Don't know of
    any place you could hire a touring bike down there, but check local directories
    for that. <br>
    Distance is, what ? 80 kms ? A fair ride. Go on a week-day out of peak season
    if possible, the traffic on the Ocean Rd on a peak weekend can really be
    a horror, and watch for nit-wits overtaking and cutting corners, which they
    always do. There is a cyclists' guide to the Ocean Rd available, which you
    should be able to pick up at the VicTour office in the city or any major
    tourist info office in the region, which will tell you a lot more. <br>
    Regards, <br>
    Ray. <br>
    </b><br>
    aeon16 wrote:<br>
    <pre wrap="">--------------------------< <br></pre>

  3. Chris_L

    Chris_L Guest

    aeon16 wrote:
    > Hi all.
    > Friends and I are thinking of trying out the Great Ocean Road stretch.
    > Possibly the stretch of Apollo Bay through to Bells Beach.
    > Has anyone done this? Any suggestions/ recommendations?
    > Also, where would be the best bike hire place down there. I'm not taking
    > my baby. :)

    I cycled the GOR last November, from Geelong right through to
    Warrnambool. The section between Apollo Bay and Lorne is pretty
    spectacular - although Port Campbell National Park (further west) is
    definitely worth a visit. It's also worth saving some legs when you get
    to Lorne, and taking the time to visit Erskine Falls. It's about 8km out
    of town, mainly up hill (particularly the first stretch out of Lorne),
    but definitely worth doing.

    It's also worth ensuring you avoid the school holidays. It was busy
    enough in November when I did it, I'd hate to think of what it would be
    like over christmas.

    As far as hiring a bike goes - I can't help you there. I took my own.

    --
    Stop the world...
    This is where I get off.