Apollo Bay - Bells Beach ride

aeon16

Guest
Hi all.

Friends and I are thinking of trying out the Great Ocean Road stretch.

Possibly the stretch of Apollo Bay through to Bells Beach.

Has anyone done this? Any suggestions/ recommendations?

Also, where would be the best bike hire place down there. I'm not taking
my baby. :)

<head>
</head>
<b>Greetings, <br>
Done the Ocean Rd a few times, which of course goes all
the way to Warrnambool, but is more hilly after Apollo Bay. Don't know of
any place you could hire a touring bike down there, but check local directories
for that. <br>
Distance is, what ? 80 kms ? A fair ride. Go on a week-day out of peak season
if possible, the traffic on the Ocean Rd on a peak weekend can really be
a horror, and watch for nit-wits overtaking and cutting corners, which they
always do. There is a cyclists' guide to the Ocean Rd available, which you
should be able to pick up at the VicTour office in the city or any major
tourist info office in the region, which will tell you a lot more. <br>
Regards, <br>
Ray. <br>
</b><br>
aeon16 wrote:<br>
<pre wrap="">--------------------------< <br></pre>

aeon16 wrote:
> Hi all.
> Friends and I are thinking of trying out the Great Ocean Road stretch.
> Possibly the stretch of Apollo Bay through to Bells Beach.
> Has anyone done this? Any suggestions/ recommendations?
> Also, where would be the best bike hire place down there. I'm not taking
> my baby. :)

I cycled the GOR last November, from Geelong right through to
Warrnambool. The section between Apollo Bay and Lorne is pretty
spectacular - although Port Campbell National Park (further west) is
definitely worth a visit. It's also worth saving some legs when you get
to Lorne, and taking the time to visit Erskine Falls. It's about 8km out
of town, mainly up hill (particularly the first stretch out of Lorne),
but definitely worth doing.

It's also worth ensuring you avoid the school holidays. It was busy
enough in November when I did it, I'd hate to think of what it would be
like over christmas.

As far as hiring a bike goes - I can't help you there. I took my own.

--
Stop the world...
This is where I get off.