Apparently all serious cyclists

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Fred, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

    Tags:

  2. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    > Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    > Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    > races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

    Because chicks dig it.

  3. "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    > Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    > races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

    In reverse order...

    5. Makes them more aerodynamic <snicker :)>

    4. Makes massages easier

    3. Easier to clean the inevitable road rash and less risk of infection

    2. Show off their well-muscled legs

    And the drum roll please....

    1. Because that's what cyclists have always done and everyone else does it!

  4. Fred wrote:
    > Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    > Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    > races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

    Don't know why others do it, but I know why you don't. You're a Fred.

    Fred

  5. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    > Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    > Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    > races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

    Consider it a tribal ritual. If you want to be a member of the tribe, shave
    'em.

    GG

  6. Sid

    Sid Guest

    Same reason body builders and swimmers shave, it looks good (if you ride
    enough to have muscle definition), but it sure is a pain to keep it up for
    long.

    Sid

    news:[email protected]00cwc.googlegroups.com...
    > Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    > Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    > races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

  7. Fred

    Fred Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Fred wrote:
    >> Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    >> Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    >> races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

    > Don't know why others do it, but I know why you don't. You're a Fred.
    >
    > Fred

    I'm a Fred too, so you must be right. I don't shave my legs either.

    Also Fred.

  8. Some Fred wrote:

    > Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    > Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    > races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

    I was once asked [in Calistoga, California] whether I was a "serious
    cyclist", after having ridden from Sacramento via the north shore of
    Clear Lake around Soda Bay [some considerable distance]. I replied that
    I am more of a light-hearted cyclist, to the dumbfounding consternation
    of the questioner.

    As for why those "serious cyclists" shave their legs, I have no idea. As
    a bearded man since before many of them were born, I haven't figured out
    why they shave their faces, much less their legs.

  9. tom

    tom Guest

    Ease of road-rash cleansing. tom

  10. Bill Baka

    Bill Baka Guest

    LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m wrote:
    > Some Fred wrote:
    >
    >> Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    >> Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    >> races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

    > I was once asked [in Calistoga, California] whether I was a "serious
    > cyclist", after having ridden from Sacramento via the north shore of
    > Clear Lake around Soda Bay [some considerable distance]. I replied that
    > I am more of a light-hearted cyclist, to the dumbfounding consternation
    > of the questioner.
    >
    > As for why those "serious cyclists" shave their legs, I have no idea. As
    > a bearded man since before many of them were born, I haven't figured out
    > why they shave their faces, much less their legs.

    That must make me a major Fred, hairy legs, long hair, no helmet, and
    often a very non aero beard.
    I can't go fast that way but all the wind drag gets me some good workouts.
    Bill (Phred?) Baka

  11. jason

    jason Guest

    Sid wrote:
    > Same reason body builders and swimmers shave, it looks good (if you ride
    > enough to have muscle definition), but it sure is a pain to keep it up for
    > long.
    >
    > Sid

    "Pain to keep it up for long?" heh no comment

    Jason

  12. Aeek

    Aeek Guest

    >Sid wrote:
    >> Same reason body builders and swimmers shave, it looks good (if you ride
    >> enough to have muscle definition), but it sure is a pain to keep it up for
    >> long.

    but roadies also do it to avoid infected hairs in gravel rash, plus it
    helps in massages if youre a pro.

  13. Per Fred:
    >I would like to know why?

    The reason I used to hear was infection.

    You go down, lose a bunch of skin, and it's easier to clean up and there's less
    chance of infection if it's shaved.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  14. On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:53:06 +1000, Aeek <[email protected]> wrote:

    > it
    >helps in massages if youre a pro.

    What if someone is not a pro -- does it help in massages then?

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  15. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Fred:
    >
    >>I would like to know why?

    > The reason I used to hear was infection.
    >
    > You go down, lose a bunch of skin, and it's easier to clean up and there's less
    > chance of infection if it's shaved.

    A friend of mine was chastised by an ER doc for *not* shaving his legs,
    when he got cleaned up from a particularly bad fall.
    But... How often do non-racers get road rash? Yeah if you're a clod.
    I haven't bothered for 15 years (since I quit racing).

    Shawn

  16. Apparently I am not a "serious" cyclist.

    I try to smile a lot and keep it light!

  17. Sid

    Sid Guest

    Oh sure, it helps with road rash, but I try not to get road rash so often
    that it would make a difference. I agree that massage feels better smooth
    and it makes applying sunscreen easier.

    "Aeek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Sid wrote:
    >>> Same reason body builders and swimmers shave, it looks good (if you ride
    >>> enough to have muscle definition), but it sure is a pain to keep it up
    >>> for
    >>> long.

    > but roadies also do it to avoid infected hairs in gravel rash, plus it
    > helps in massages if youre a pro.

  18. Marty

    Marty Guest

    > Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
    > Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
    > races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

    Apparently, I'm not serious.

    Marty

  19. Shawn who? writes:

    >>> I would like to know why?

    >> The reason I used to hear was infection.

    >> You go down, lose a bunch of skin, and it's easier to clean up and
    >> there's less chance of infection if it's shaved.

    That's the old excuse for men who fear being tagged as being gay for
    their pretty legs.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shaving.html

    > A friend of mine was chastised by an ER doc for *not* shaving his
    > legs, when he got cleaned up from a particularly bad fall.
    > But... How often do non-racers get road rash? Yeah if you're a
    > clod. I haven't bothered for 15 years (since I quit racing).

    What a dork. That technician must have been a leg shaving bikie
    himself, justifying his own fears.

    Jobst Brandt

  20. On 23 Apr 2006 00:44:15 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >>> The reason I used to hear was infection.

    >>> You go down, lose a bunch of skin, and it's easier to clean up and
    >>> there's less chance of infection if it's shaved.

    >That's the old excuse for men who fear being tagged as being gay for
    >their pretty legs.
    >
    >http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shaving.html

    From that page "Many folks with hair get massages and it has no effect
    on comfort. You'd think from this excuse, that those who shave get
    massages regularly and that massage parlors always shave their
    customers. Neither is true."

    You're saying, that because businesses trying to make money off
    massages don't create a hurdle to getting customers (higher price due
    to shaving, or the additional time it takes customers to shave) that
    that demonstrates shaving doesn't make massages easier? That seems
    pretty flawed logic.

    Here's the test -- perform a massage on hairy legs and then smooth
    legs. It's clearly very doable with hair. It's also a little easier
    without.

    JT.

    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com