Apparrel - gloves, night riding stuff

Eggyolkeo

Sep 17, 2007
Hi guys, first post. Just back into riding, and most is early mornings or nights.

This morning my hands were freezing. Thinkging about gloves, but it seems like 99% of them are fingerless unless you go mountainbike gloves. Why is that? Am I missing an obvious thing? Ventilation of course, but do you guys wear full length gloves when it's cold?

Secondly I'm finding that at night, I end up breathing through my mouth when I'm really puffed and the cold air hurts my throat. I'll probably try a bandanna over my mouth, or is there any adice you can offer?

Any other cold/night ride tips would be appreciated.

Any other cold/night ride tips would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]Aye sir. Learn to breath through the nose, no matter how hard the effort, because in the true dead of winter breathing through the mouth can actually kill you. Almost all cold weather gloves will be mtb/road oriented. Specialized makes great gloves for cold weather, rain, whatever. Wear your gloves slightly loose; during eposure to cold the body cuts blood flow to the extremities, this will be amplified by tight fitting gloves or shoes/socks, no matter how many layers you use. Sometimes even use regular leather gloves with Thermalite. But from my experience wind blocking is more important than layering. This is why so many winter garments have windblock fronts and breathable back sides.

Always,always wear head covering under your hemet, this will have a greater benefit than anything else you do; again it's to fool the brain into keeping blood flow going to those fingers and toes. Got lights? Get some-front and rear. When some drunk/malicious redneck hits you the first thing they will say is: 'I couldn't see 'um'.

Cheers. Saw a guy this morning with a thin head covering that tied up at the back, though it was to absorb sweat, not to assist in circulation. Thanks for that.

Yep lights were the first thing I purchased. Although on the list is a flasher for my helmet, and a spotlight for the front so I can see those potholes.

Eggyolkeo said:
Cheers. Saw a guy this morning with a thin head covering that tied up at the back, though it was to absorb sweat, not to assist in circulation. Thanks for that.

Yep lights were the first thing I purchased. Although on the list is a flasher for my helmet, and a spotlight for the front so I can see those potholes.
Yeah I have a flasher for the bike and helmet. LED lights are good for the front, especially Cateye.