Appian Way

anthony kelly

Nov 20, 2005
Has anyone Cycled the Appian way in Italy? From Rome to Brindisi? If so could you impart some wisdom, experiences, tales of warning? Would be much appreicated.
Cheers
Anthony

Hello there Anthony. I have not cycled the via Appia, but am Italian (from Rome) and am willing to help you out, if you tell me what you need to know.

Just keep in mind that the Appia is a major road an portions of it are rather heavily trafficked...

Powerful Pete said:
Hello there Anthony. I have not cycled the via Appia, but am Italian (from Rome) and am willing to help you out, if you tell me what you need to know.

Just keep in mind that the Appia is a major road an portions of it are rather heavily trafficked...
thanks pete talk to you tomarrow night 6 of us looking to do this trip next sep give you more information then:cool:

Hi again Pete,

You mentioned something about heavy trafficed areas? Basically we're looking for a route that avoids that kind stuff. What would be the best route to take to avoid motorways ect.?
What is the most popular route with cyclists? And what towns do they go through?
We plan on doing about 100miles a day. I assume there will be plenty of stops on these long stretchs?
Are there any places you would recommend that may be off the beaten track worth seeing and riding through?
Perhaps I should let you know we're a bunch of fifty year old Irish cyclists, but we're a fit bunch who've all been cycling most of our lives.
We cycled the Camino in Spain this year so we're looking forward another challenging trek.
That's all for now Pete, hopefully you can help. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply.
Thanks
Anthony

Dear Anthony,

You need to provide a bit more information. When do you intend to do the tour? Keep in mind that it can be brutally hot in the summer, especially for you northerners, here in the Med! ;)

What kind of kms do you plan on doing per day? Are you riding supported or with panniers?

What rocks your boat - nature/art/culture/food/travelling the road less travelled?

A few of the obvious places worth seeing/visiting/riding:

1. The bits and pieces of the original Appia Antica in the national park in Rome.

2. The Castelli Romani (the extinct volcanos just south of Rome - you can also do bits of the Giro del Lazio and some monster short hills).

3. The Costiera Amalfitana South of Naples and North of Salerno (Vietri sul Mare to Sorrento). One of the most beautiful bits of road anywhere in the world (watch out for the heavy traffic, but absolutely worth it!).

4. The Gargano (the pointy bit of Italy sticking out on the Eastern coast, a wild and unspoilt bit of Italy that is wonderful, if a bit out of your way). Ride Torre Mileto - Vieste - Manfredonia along the sea road. You will thank me. :)

... sorry, continuing the message in a second post... was getting a bit long...

5. The Trulli of Alberobello (the middle-ages traditional homes in the town of Alberobello).

6. The famous Castel del Monte castle (inland, near Barletta), built by Frederick the II.

7. If you make that far South, you should ride all the way to the end of the 'heel' - Santa Maria di Leuca (if for no other reason than to say you have been there!)

I am told, but have not been there, that the beaches are quite nice South of Matera (don't get too close to Taranto though, major port with all that goes with that in terms of water quality).

The farther South you go, the better the food and the red wine will get.

In Puglia, do try a local bottle of Primitivo. You will die, go to heaven, and order another. :D

In terms of don'ts, avoid riding in:

1. the Naples/Caserta area - heavy traffic.
2. the Taranto/Brindisi area - the Appia becomes a 'superstrada' there.

This is just a quick series of points... let me know (maybe via pm so we don't bore people) what else you need to know.

Thanks for all that pete, more then helpful.

We're probably not going there until next september, but that's plenty of info to get us started, much appreciated.
I'll see you on the 'cafe' soon.
Thanks Again.

This post makes me miss Italy. Doing some biking there is on my "to do" list. When I was there, there was a lot of traffic, but I'm sure there are good places to cycle.

anthony kelly said:
Thanks for all that pete, more then helpful.

We're probably not going there until next september, but that's plenty of info to get us started, much appreciated.
I'll see you on the 'cafe' soon.
Thanks Again.
No worries. Let me know when/if you need more information.

All the best!

poweredbysweat said:
This post makes me miss Italy. Doing some biking there is on my "to do" list. When I was there, there was a lot of traffic, but I'm sure there are good places to cycle.
Indeed, there are. But I must say that in my limited experience of riding in Colorado (my wife's parents lived in Denver) your neck of the woods has some absolutely great riding also. Too bad I do not mtb...