Applebee's Riblettes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Damsel in dis Dress, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Stan  Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Jimbo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > me wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Michael O'Connor" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > snip
    >
    > Y'know from reading the posts it seems to me to confirm what I've
    > thought. We love going to Appleby's here in OR but it was bad it CA.
    > The ribs here are great IMHO. CA, forget it. Bottom line is I don't
    > think they have a very good quality control franchise-wise. We plan to
    > try again tomorrow in Portland.

    Some restaurant franchises tailor their menu and cooking techniques to
    meet regional tastes, so that may account for the differences you
    experienced between the CA and OR Applebee's.

    Its been ages since the last time I ate at an Applebee's, but I have
    tried the riblettes there a few times at restaurants in the Philadelphia
    area, and they were fine. In fact, I expect to dine at Applebee's again
    soon because I have a gift certificate from there that I received for
    Christmas.

  2. Stan  Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hoo-yah!! I had some of that Cherry Chipotle Relish thing I made with
    > tonight's supper, that Chicken Rice Dinner thing I posted a couple days
    > ago - yesterday? Get this: I had 5 thighs, skinless, that I used.
    > There was one left, with some rice - a single portion for lunch or
    > dinner. I was going to bring it over to The Widow Dorothy and decided
    > to not. As I was leaving her house tonight, she's telling me what she
    > fixed for supper -- the selfsame thing!! What a coincidence! I don't
    > know if TPTB would approve of the relish with the chicken and rice
    > stuff, but it was mighty fine. Perked up the otherwise mildly flavored
    > chicken. Actually, it's darned good!

    Barb,

    There you go again, being so Minnesotan! Thanks!

  3. Carol et al . . .
    Have you tried the "Rib Tips" on FAmous Dave's LUNCH menu? They're
    crusty (good) and the sauce is great - also, they're a lot cheaper4
    than the regular slabs.

    Lynn in Fargo

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > Hoo-yah!! I had some of that Cherry Chipotle Relish thing I made with
    > > tonight's supper, that Chicken Rice Dinner thing I posted a couple days
    > > ago - yesterday? Get this: I had 5 thighs, skinless, that I used.
    > > There was one left, with some rice - a single portion for lunch or
    > > dinner. I was going to bring it over to The Widow Dorothy and decided
    > > to not. As I was leaving her house tonight, she's telling me what she
    > > fixed for supper -- the selfsame thing!! What a coincidence! I don't
    > > know if TPTB would approve of the relish with the chicken and rice
    > > stuff, but it was mighty fine. Perked up the otherwise mildly flavored
    > > chicken. Actually, it's darned good!

    > Barb,
    >
    > There you go again, being so Minnesotan! Thanks!

    'splain yourself, Stanley. Whaddaya mean, "being so Minnesotan!"?
    Seriously. What does that mean?
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

  5. Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > > Hoo-yah!! I had some of that Cherry Chipotle Relish thing I made with
    > > > tonight's supper, that Chicken Rice Dinner thing I posted a couple

    days
    > > > ago - yesterday? Get this: I had 5 thighs, skinless, that I used.
    > > > There was one left, with some rice - a single portion for lunch or
    > > > dinner. I was going to bring it over to The Widow Dorothy and decided
    > > > to not. As I was leaving her house tonight, she's telling me what she
    > > > fixed for supper -- the selfsame thing!! What a coincidence! I don't
    > > > know if TPTB would approve of the relish with the chicken and rice
    > > > stuff, but it was mighty fine. Perked up the otherwise mildly

    flavored
    > > > chicken. Actually, it's darned good!

    > > Barb,
    > >
    > > There you go again, being so Minnesotan! Thanks!

    > 'splain yourself, Stanley. Whaddaya mean, "being so Minnesotan!"?
    > Seriously. What does that mean?

    I'm from Illannoy but indeed your post was "Minnesotan" ...the only thing
    you left out was that you'd put the recipe in the Church fundraiser cookbook
    ;-)

    --
    Best
    Greg

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > days

    > flavored
    > > >
    > > > Barb,
    > > >
    > > > There you go again, being so Minnesotan! Thanks!

    > > 'splain yourself, Stanley. Whaddaya mean, "being so Minnesotan!"?
    > > Seriously. What does that mean?

    > I'm from Illannoy but indeed your post was "Minnesotan" ...the only thing
    > you left out was that you'd put the recipe in the Church fundraiser cookbook
    > ;-)

    C'mon, Weasel, tell me what the heck is so "Minnesotan" about it. The
    recipe? That I was thinking about bringing some to Dottie? W H A T !?
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

  7. Stan  Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > > Hoo-yah!! I had some of that Cherry Chipotle Relish thing I made with
    > > > tonight's supper, that Chicken Rice Dinner thing I posted a couple days
    > > > ago - yesterday? Get this: I had 5 thighs, skinless, that I used.
    > > > There was one left, with some rice - a single portion for lunch or
    > > > dinner. I was going to bring it over to The Widow Dorothy and decided
    > > > to not. As I was leaving her house tonight, she's telling me what she
    > > > fixed for supper -- the selfsame thing!! What a coincidence! I don't
    > > > know if TPTB would approve of the relish with the chicken and rice
    > > > stuff, but it was mighty fine. Perked up the otherwise mildly flavored
    > > > chicken. Actually, it's darned good!

    > > Barb,
    > >
    > > There you go again, being so Minnesotan! Thanks!

    > 'splain yourself, Stanley. Whaddaya mean, "being so Minnesotan!"?
    > Seriously. What does that mean?

    This is hard to describe. Perhaps if you watch the movie Fargo, you'll
    know what I mean ... I think. Minnesotans have a unique way about how
    they communicate. You do not have the blandness in your personality like
    most people in many other areas exhibit. When I converse with most
    Americans, I get no sense of where they are from. In contrast, you talk
    like a born and raised Minnesotan, which is awesome.

    Its the same impression I get when I talk with someone who's a born and
    raised Bostonian or Brooklynite; where they convey a sense of the place
    where they came from in the way they talk. Its more than just an accent
    though. When I converse with you or read your rfc postings, I can see
    that sense of place where you're from loud and clear. With you, your
    sense of place comes through as loudly in your writing as it does when
    we talk face-to-face, which is a very unique and endearing quality.

    Does that make sense?

  8. Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Gregory Morrow"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    with

    > > days

    decided

    she

    don't

    > > flavored

    > > > 'splain yourself, Stanley. Whaddaya mean, "being so Minnesotan!"?
    > > > Seriously. What does that mean?

    > > I'm from Illannoy but indeed your post was "Minnesotan" ...the only

    thing
    > > you left out was that you'd put the recipe in the Church fundraiser

    cookbook
    > > ;-)

    > C'mon, Weasel, tell me what the heck is so "Minnesotan" about it. The
    > recipe? That I was thinking about bringing some to Dottie? W H A T !?

    Yer post is evocative of cold midnight moonlight on hard snow...lefse...Paul
    Bunyan and his pet ox "Babe"...church basement suppers...cosy
    casseroles...bosky green forests resounding with the cry of the loon...an
    old red barn slumbering amongst a field of ripe corn...the odor of funnel
    cakes at the Minnesota State Fair...the sizzle of a venison steak on the hot
    grille...the old North Central Airlines mallard duck logo...cases of
    trophies and ribbons won by a certain gal we know for her worthy efforts at
    food preservation and baking...nice old Norwegian ladies who are always
    baking lotsa goodies for everybody...a brood of quail crossing a country
    road...the Mall 'o America...Mary Richard's funny pal Rhoda Morgenstern (the
    only Jew in Minneapolis...)...wild rice harvested by Indians in canoes...The
    Tyrone Guthrie Thee - ater...International Falls being the "sister city"
    weather - wise of Bullhead City, Arizona...the sudden sounds of autumn
    hunting...neighbors helping each other out...the sound of a combine
    harvesting at night...the home of "Scotch" brand tape...

    --
    Best
    Greg

  9. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Lynn from Fargo wrote:
    > Carol et al . . .
    > Have you tried the "Rib Tips" on FAmous Dave's LUNCH menu? They're
    > crusty (good) and the sauce is great - also, they're a lot cheaper4
    > than the regular slabs.
    >
    > Lynn in Fargo

    that's what I get when I'm home alone and I'm having a meat fiesta! The rib
    tips platter with beans and fries.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  10. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what cut to look for at the grocery store if I
    > wanted to make my own riblettes? Can they be baked or rottiserized,
    > or do they have to be grilled or smoked?

    Don't know what they do to them in the factory, but at Applebee's you
    can bet they just thaw them in a microwave and perhaps toss them on the
    "grill" which only functions to put fresh grill marks on the precooked,
    frozen riblettes.

    > We love these things, but it'd be nice if we could make our own,
    > assuming that we'd come out ahead financially. We only go to
    > Applebee's after 9pm. Half price appetizers. :eek:)

    Applebee's food is crap. Doesn't your town have real barbecue?

    > Carol, the Frugal Diner

    --Bryan

  11. On Mon 23 Jan 2006 04:46:50a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it BoboBonobo?

    > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me what cut to look for at the grocery store if I
    >> wanted to make my own riblettes? Can they be baked or rottiserized,
    >> or do they have to be grilled or smoked?

    > Don't know what they do to them in the factory, but at Applebee's you
    > can bet they just thaw them in a microwave and perhaps toss them on the
    > "grill" which only functions to put fresh grill marks on the precooked,
    > frozen riblettes.
    >>
    >> We love these things, but it'd be nice if we could make our own,
    >> assuming that we'd come out ahead financially. We only go to
    >> Applebee's after 9pm. Half price appetizers. :eek:)

    > Applebee's food is crap. Doesn't your town have real barbecue?
    >>
    >> Carol, the Frugal Diner

    > --Bryan

    Food Snob!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Gregory Morrow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Gregory Morrow"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > I'm from Illannoy but indeed your post was "Minnesotan" ...the
    > > > onlything you left out was that you'd put the recipe in the
    > > > Church fundraiser cookbook

    > > > ;-)

    > > C'mon, Weasel, tell me what the heck is so "Minnesotan" about it. The
    > > recipe? That I was thinking about bringing some to Dottie? W H A T !?

    > Yer post is evocative of cold midnight moonlight on hard snow...lefse...Paul
    > Bunyan and his pet ox "Babe"...church basement suppers...cosy
    > casseroles...bosky green forests resounding with the cry of the loon...an
    > old red barn slumbering amongst a field of ripe corn...the odor of funnel
    > cakes at the Minnesota State Fair...the sizzle of a venison steak on the hot
    > grille...the old North Central Airlines mallard duck logo...cases of
    > trophies and ribbons won by a certain gal we know for her worthy efforts at
    > food preservation and baking...nice old Norwegian ladies who are always
    > baking lotsa goodies for everybody...a brood of quail crossing a country
    > road...the Mall 'o America...Mary Richard's funny pal Rhoda Morgenstern (the
    > only Jew in Minneapolis...)...wild rice harvested by Indians in canoes...The
    > Tyrone Guthrie Thee - ater...International Falls being the "sister city"
    > weather - wise of Bullhead City, Arizona...the sudden sounds of autumn
    > hunting...neighbors helping each other out...the sound of a combine
    > harvesting at night...the home of "Scotch" brand tape...

    LOL!! How much research did you do to come up with all those? Have you
    ever spent any time here?

    OB Food: Musta been the "cosy casserole" that touched your sole --
    er--rr, soul. I don't think of them as being Minnesotan, though -- just
    neighborly. And I just picked up a couple pounds of that good wild
    rice from Northland Native American Products on Franklin, just east of
    Chicago a couple blocks: http://www.northlandvisions.com/aboutus.html
    It's $8/pound or two pounds for $14.

    The new Guthrie Thee-ater opens this summer down by the riverfront and
    you can tour the old place in a couple Sundays from yesterday - still
    time to book a flight,. :)

    Thanks for all those Minnesota images. There's a book written by Ann
    Burckhardt, "A Cook's Tour of Minnesota" that has a recipe for a cream
    cheese coffeecake by that food preservation gal you were talking about.
    I've made it and it's wonderful!
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

  13. Dave Bugg

    Dave Bugg Guest

    BoboBonobo wrote:

    > Don't know what they do to them in the factory, but at Applebee's you
    > can bet they just thaw them in a microwave and perhaps toss them on
    > the "grill" which only functions to put fresh grill marks on the
    > precooked, frozen riblettes.

    Very close. They are previously cooked on an assembly line, and the grill
    marks "branded" on, then flash frozen. At the Applebee-type places, they are
    pressure steamed to rethermalize.

    > Applebee's food is crap. Doesn't your town have real barbecue?

    :)

    --
    Dave
    www.davebbq.com

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dave Bugg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    >
    > > Don't know what they do to them in the factory, but at Applebee's you
    > > can bet they just thaw them in a microwave and perhaps toss them on
    > > the "grill" which only functions to put fresh grill marks on the
    > > precooked, frozen riblettes.

    > Very close. They are previously cooked on an assembly line, and the grill
    > marks "branded" on, then flash frozen. At the Applebee-type places, they are
    > pressure steamed to rethermalize.
    >
    > > Applebee's food is crap. Doesn't your town have real barbecue?

    > :)

    Rethermalize? ReTHERMALIZE? And I love their Oriental Chicken Salad.
    :p
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > Barb,
    > > >
    > > > There you go again, being so Minnesotan! Thanks!

    > > 'splain yourself, Stanley. Whaddaya mean, "being so Minnesotan!"?
    > > Seriously. What does that mean?

    > This is hard to describe. Perhaps if you watch the movie Fargo, you'll
    > know what I mean ... I think. Minnesotans have a unique way about how
    > they communicate. You do not have the blandness in your personality like
    > most people in many other areas exhibit. When I converse with most
    > Americans, I get no sense of where they are from. In contrast, you talk
    > like a born and raised Minnesotan, which is awesome.
    >
    > Its the same impression I get when I talk with someone who's a born and
    > raised Bostonian or Brooklynite; where they convey a sense of the place
    > where they came from in the way they talk. Its more than just an accent
    > though. When I converse with you or read your rfc postings, I can see
    > that sense of place where you're from loud and clear. With you, your
    > sense of place comes through as loudly in your writing as it does when
    > we talk face-to-face, which is a very unique and endearing quality.
    >
    > Does that make sense?

    I guess. But the "unique and endearing" kinda make me think that what
    you're really saying is that I talk funny and you're trying to politely
    tell me so. "-) Re "Fargo" - Chris said, "Mom! <He always starts with
    "Mom!"> Everyone thinks that everyone in Minnesota talks like that. And
    you know what? We do!" LOL! Unique and endearing: "Wanna come
    with?" <grin> I yam who I yam, Stanley.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

  16. Dave Bugg

    Dave Bugg Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Rethermalize? ReTHERMALIZE? And I love their Oriental Chicken Salad.
    > :p

    Yeah... it's foodservice speak for reheating. :)
    --
    Dave
    www.davebbq.com

  17. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > I guess. But the "unique and endearing" kinda make me think that what
    > you're really saying is that I talk funny and you're trying to politely
    > tell me so. "-) Re "Fargo" - Chris said, "Mom! <He always starts with
    > "Mom!"> Everyone thinks that everyone in Minnesota talks like that. And
    > you know what? We do!" LOL! Unique and endearing: "Wanna come
    > with?" <grin> I yam who I yam, Stanley.

    Barb!
    Do I act minnesotan????
    TELL ME! I must know.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >

    > > I guess. But the "unique and endearing" kinda make me think that what
    > > you're really saying is that I talk funny and you're trying to politely
    > > tell me so. "-) Re "Fargo" - Chris said, "Mom! <He always starts with
    > > "Mom!"> Everyone thinks that everyone in Minnesota talks like that. And
    > > you know what? We do!" LOL! Unique and endearing: "Wanna come
    > > with?" <grin> I yam who I yam, Stanley.

    > Barb!
    > Do I act minnesotan????
    > TELL ME! I must know.

    You seem comfy to me, Toots!
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

  19. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > The Bubbo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >>

    >> > I guess. But the "unique and endearing" kinda make me think that what
    >> > you're really saying is that I talk funny and you're trying to politely
    >> > tell me so. "-) Re "Fargo" - Chris said, "Mom! <He always starts with
    >> > "Mom!"> Everyone thinks that everyone in Minnesota talks like that. And
    >> > you know what? We do!" LOL! Unique and endearing: "Wanna come
    >> > with?" <grin> I yam who I yam, Stanley.

    >> Barb!
    >> Do I act minnesotan????
    >> TELL ME! I must know.