Applying Finishline Teflon Plus

Paul

Guest
Due to the very hot summer and very dry, dusty conditions (quite a novelty for the UK) I've switched
from using Finishline Crosscountry to the Teflon Plus 'Dry' lube.

Although shifting is absolutely fine the drivechain does sound a bit tinny and louder than usual. My
LBS says that that it's a good idea to apply the lube pretty much every day for a few days to build
up a reasonable layer of lube after which the occassional clean and lube should suffice.

Something else I'm a little unsure about is how to apply the lube correctly. The instruction say
little more than apply the lube. When using Crosscountry, a wet lube, I leave the lube on the chain
for several hours to seep into the chain and then use a rag to thoroughly clean any remaining lube
from the chain. Should I use this technique for a dry lube such as the Teflon Plus or simply apply
and leave to dry?

Thanks for any thoughts and I'd also be interested to hear of people's favorite chain lube.

With Kind Regards Paul.

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:12:22 +0100, Paul wrote:

> Due to the very hot summer and very dry, dusty conditions (quite a novelty for the UK) I've
> switched from using Finishline Crosscountry to the Teflon Plus 'Dry' lube.
>
> Although shifting is absolutely fine the drivechain does sound a bit tinny and louder than usual.
> My LBS says that that it's a good idea to apply the lube pretty much every day for a few days to
> build up a reasonable layer of lube after which the occassional clean and lube should suffice.
>
> Something else I'm a little unsure about is how to apply the lube correctly. The instruction say
> little more than apply the lube. When using Crosscountry, a wet lube, I leave the lube on the
> chain for several hours to seep into the chain and then use a rag to thoroughly clean any
> remaining lube from the chain. Should I use this technique for a dry lube such as the Teflon Plus
> or simply apply and leave to dry?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts and I'd also be interested to hear of people's favorite chain lube.
>
> With Kind Regards Paul.
Put a drop on the rollers, the carrier will dry in less than 10 minutes. You're ready to go.

Paul wrote:

> Due to the very hot summer and very dry, dusty conditions (quite a novelty for the UK) I've
> switched from using Finishline Crosscountry to the Teflon Plus 'Dry' lube.
>
> Although shifting is absolutely fine the drivechain does sound a bit tinny and louder than usual.
> My LBS says that that it's a good idea to apply the lube pretty much every day for a few days to
> build up a reasonable layer of lube after which the occassional clean and lube should suffice.
>
> Something else I'm a little unsure about is how to apply the lube correctly. The instruction say
> little more than apply the lube. When using Crosscountry, a wet lube, I leave the lube on the
> chain for several hours to seep into the chain and then use a rag to thoroughly clean any
> remaining lube from the chain. Should I use this technique for a dry lube such as the Teflon Plus
> or simply apply and leave to dry?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts and I'd also be interested to hear of people's favorite chain lube.
>
> With Kind Regards Paul.

I apply between the links in a steady stream as I rotate the cranks enough for the chain to go
around 2x, and wipe off the excess. I wait a bit (15 mins to 2 hours), then do it again. Obviously,
the speed of the chain and how hard you're pressing to make the stream makes a difference --
experiment! I often use their wax lube as the 2nd layer for an even drier overall effect and better
water resistence (the water resistence surprised me, but this is from experience).

The risk of reapplying on a dirty chain is that it will carry chain cutting crud into the places
where you don't want it.

David