Applying weird decals to frame?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Boyd Speerschne, May 9, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I'm trying to apply some decals to a frame of mine, but run into a confusing problem. The decals for
    the down tube are factory decals, but they appear to be reversed; the side that *should* be sticky
    is facing up, while the other side is attached to the paper backing. I'm not sure how to apply them.
    I've only got one set, so I don't want to ruin them. There is an outline for the logo on the
    opposite side of the backing. So, I assume they are either rub-on decals or they are applied with
    the use of some kind of solvent.

    They are Fuji decals for a Team frame.

    Help please!!!

    Thanks in advance,

    - Boyd S

    Tags:

  2. Ajames54

    Ajames54 Guest

    On Fri, 09 May 2003 18:22:13 GMT, Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm trying to apply some decals to a frame of mine, but run into a confusing problem. The decals
    >for the down tube are factory decals, but they appear to be reversed; the side that *should* be
    >sticky is facing up, while the other side is attached to the paper backing. I'm not sure how to
    >apply them. I've only got one set, so I don't want to ruin them. There is an outline for the logo
    >on the opposite side of the backing. So, I assume they are either rub-on decals or they are applied
    >with the use of some kind of solvent.
    >
    >They are Fuji decals for a Team frame.
    >
    >Help please!!!
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >
    >- Boyd S
    They are water transfer decals ... like the ones that used to come in plastic model kits... and are
    still used in many industries

    clean and dry the surface of the bike ...

    in a bowl/tray of luke warm water wet the entire decal and place
    the decal paper side down in the water. When the paper has all
    soaked through (you should be able to tell by the colour) lift it
    out and carefully place it on the frame... peel back the paper.

    these are pretty fragile and are often clear coated ...

  3. Sparks

    Sparks Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The decals for the down tube are factory decals, but they appear to be reversed; the side that
    > *should* be sticky is facing up, while the other side is attached to the paper backing

    it's like a window sticker...they go on the *inside* of the frame.

    ________________________________

    Remove S.P.A.M in email adddress Climb <at> mac <dot> com
    ________________________________

  4. If I read this right, as the decals sit on the paper, they read "forwards'"?

    If so, they are applied the same way as the ones that come with plastic model kits. Soak them in
    water until they can be slid around on the paper with your fingers, then position the paper on the
    spot of the frame wher you want it and slide the paper out from under the decal as you apply it to
    the frame.

    Smooth out any bubbles, and after it dries, apply a clear coat of paint over the decal. Otherwise it
    will fall off when you wash the bike (or ride in the rain).

  5. [email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote in news:29303-
    [email protected]:

    > If I read this right, as the decals sit on the paper, they read "forwards'"?
    >
    > If so, they are applied the same way as the ones that come with plastic model kits. Soak them in
    > water until they can be slid around on the paper with your fingers, then position the paper on the
    > spot of the frame wher you want it and slide the paper out from under the decal as you apply it to
    > the frame.
    >
    > Smooth out any bubbles, and after it dries, apply a clear coat of paint over the decal. Otherwise
    > it will fall off when you wash the bike (or ride in the rain).
    >
    > May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
    >
    > Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

    Nope. As the decals sit on the paper they read reversed ie., as if viewed in a mirror or
    from the back.

  6. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] (Chris Zacho "The Wheelman") wrote
    >
    >> If I read this right, as the decals sit on the paper, they read "forwards'"?
    >>
    >As the decals sit on the paper they read reversed ie., as if viewed in a mirror or from the back.

    Bike decals are VERY different from those you apply to plastic models
    - they're basically paint with some sort of glue backing.

    They should read "right" as you look THROUGH the paper (sounds like what you're describing).

    If so, you mount them as follows:

    1) THOROUGHLY clean the area with a non-oily solvent
    2) Clean the solvent from the frame (maybe alcohol)
    3) Peel the paper backing from the decal
    4) VERY carefully position the decal
    5) SLOWLY use your finger to press the decal down (try to keep any air from getting under
    the decal). You'll see the portions of the decal that are adhering to the frame by the
    "color change".
    6) Once the decal is totally down, rub the backing briskly with a clean, dry rag (careful - you
    could shift it, which would ruin it). The idea here is to slowly build up some heat on the decal
    which will help it release from the backing better.
    7) Use a credit card or similar "semi-hard, semi-sharp" edge to lightly scrape over the paper
    backing. You'll see the decal "release" from the paper.
    8) CAREFULLY peel up the backing, stopping and repeating step 6 if it starts to pull up the decal
    (it's not hard to stick down a decal that starts to tear if you don't twist it).
    9) Be careful with the new decals for a couple days - they take that long to fully adhere to the
    frame, and will be soft until they are cured.

  7. Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    <snip>

    > Bike decals are VERY different from those you apply to plastic models
    > - they're basically paint with some sort of glue backing.
    >
    > They should read "right" as you look THROUGH the paper (sounds like what you're describing).
    >
    > If so, you mount them as follows:
    >
    > 1) THOROUGHLY clean the area with a non-oily solvent
    > 2) Clean the solvent from the frame (maybe alcohol)
    > 3) Peel the paper backing from the decal
    > 4) VERY carefully position the decal
    > 5) SLOWLY use your finger to press the decal down (try to keep any air from getting under the
    > decal). You'll see the portions of the decal that are adhering to the frame by the "color
    > change".
    > 6) Once the decal is totally down, rub the backing briskly with a clean, dry rag (careful - you
    > could shift it, which would ruin it). The idea here is to slowly build up some heat on the
    > decal which will help it release from the backing better.
    > 7) Use a credit card or similar "semi-hard, semi-sharp" edge to lightly scrape over the paper
    > backing. You'll see the decal "release" from the paper.
    > 8) CAREFULLY peel up the backing, stopping and repeating step 6 if it starts to pull up the decal
    > (it's not hard to stick down a decal that starts to tear if you don't twist it).
    > 9) Be careful with the new decals for a couple days - they take that long to fully adhere to the
    > frame, and will be soft until they are cured.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

    I'm confused. Do I remove the paper backing in step 3 or step 8?

  8. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm confused. Do I remove the paper backing in step 3 or step 8?

    There should be paper on both sides of the decal when you start. You remove it from the side that's
    going to be against the bike first, and from the "top side" second.

  9. Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm confused. Do I remove the paper backing in step 3 or step 8?
    >
    > There should be paper on both sides of the decal when you start. You remove it from the side
    > that's going to be against the bike first, and from the "top side" second.
    >
    > Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

    There is paper on only one side, the "top side". Maybe this isn't the kind of decal you think it is.

  10. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Fri, 09 May 2003 18:22:13 GMT, Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm trying to apply some decals to a frame of mine, but run into a confusing problem. The decals
    >for the down tube are factory decals, but they appear to be reversed; the side that *should* be
    >sticky is facing up, while the other side is attached to the paper backing. I'm not sure how to
    >apply them. I've only got one set, so I don't want to ruin them. There is an outline for the logo
    >on the opposite side of the backing. So, I assume they are either rub-on decals or they are applied
    >with the use of some kind of solvent.
    >
    >They are Fuji decals for a Team frame.

    I've applied many types of decals/transfers in many applications and a little more information would
    be helpful. While looking at the sticky side is the image reversed (mirrored)? If so I'm guessing
    they are indeed the rub-on type.

    If this is the case, after thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the area position the transfer sticky
    side down and burnish the backing paper over the transfer with something smooth. On bike tubing I
    like to use the back of a teaspoon's bowl. Once burnished, CAREFULLY peel off the backing paper. If
    the transfer starts to lift with the paper, burnish some more.

    A trick I learned years ago with Letraset transfers is to follow up by burnishing the applied
    transfer with a wax protectant. Letraset kits come with a heavy wax coated paper for this purpose,
    but on bikes I've just used regular kitchen wax paper. I'm not all that certain it helps but it
    makes me feel better. :)

  11. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm confused. Do I remove the paper backing in step 3 or step 8?
    >>
    >> There should be paper on both sides of the decal when you start. You remove it from the side
    >> that's going to be against the bike first, and from the "top side" second.

    >There is paper on only one side, the "top side". Maybe this isn't the kind of decal you
    >think it is.

    Or maybe the paper has been prematurely removed from the "bottom side"?