Apposite Allan Screws

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Redgold, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. Redgold

    Redgold Guest

    I have a pair of DMT Ultimate RSX shoes. The shoes allow adjustment of
    the main strap by providing two location points for the main buckle , the
    website advises that you can use the "apposite allan screw " to move the
    band.

    When I have tried to undo the allan screw all it does is spin in the hole
    yet I can feel some sort of lug whilst turning the screw. I am confident
    I have not stripped the thread.

    Is there such a thing as an "apposite allan screw" and if so what is the
    secret to undoing it?

    Thanks

    Jeff

    Tags:

  2. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 07:25:08 +0800, Redgold <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I have a pair of DMT Ultimate RSX shoes. The shoes allow adjustment of
    >the main strap by providing two location points for the main buckle , the
    >website advises that you can use the "apposite allan screw " to move the
    >band.
    >
    >When I have tried to undo the allan screw all it does is spin in the hole
    >yet I can feel some sort of lug whilst turning the screw. I am confident
    >I have not stripped the thread.
    >
    >Is there such a thing as an "apposite allan screw" and if so what is the
    >secret to undoing it?

    Remember the maxim: apposites extract.

    You'll need to find a way to keep the feature in the shoe into which
    the Allen bolt is threaded (the "lug" you mention above) from spinning
    when you turn the head of the fastener. It's likely to be some sort of
    threaded boss serving as the nut that normally stays anchored during
    tightening/loosening but now just spins freely as the Allen bolt is
    turned. Sometimes applying a little sideways/lifting pressure with the
    Allen key as you're unscrewing it will stick the nut to its base
    enough to keep the nut from turning with the bolt.
    John Dacey
    Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
    Since 1983
    Comprehensive catalogue of track equipment: online since 1996.
    http://www.businesscycles.com