approaching horses

"Mike Gayler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "bob watkinson" <[email protected]> writed in news:cqufth$596
> [email protected]:
>

>> might be an idea to post this to a horsey type group to get a wider
>> consensus, then report the result back here.
>>

> Nice idea, but when I've asked this amongst horsey people I've nearly
> started a riot, as they disagree with each other, and then end up
> disagreeing with the point they started making.
> Much better - in my opinion - to ask the horses - you'll get more sense.

LOL. I like it. It's not just us cyclists then :)

I should of said --- "people (including those not on a horse)". Sorry.

The Open University some years ago did an experiment to see if people
could tell if someone who was behind them was looking at them. It was a
very simple experiment that could be repeated anywhere. Conventional
wisdom would expect about a 50/50 correctness.
The outcome was that people were correct......60% of the time!
Sean.

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> elyob wrote:
> > It's a shame the Sunday strolling peds can't hear a bell. I've done a
> > trackstand right behind people and still pinging my bell. They really are
> > oblivious sometimes.

> I remember many years ago coming up behind a group of peds on a towpath
> and ringing my bell a number of times. Eventually I slowly made my way
> past on the edge of the path, to hear the sound of a voice behind me
> asking: "Why didn't he ring his bell?"

Been there (well not *there* precisely, but YKWIM...), done that....

> Then there was the chap last year who, having had a clear view of me for
> some distance while walking towards me, jumped out of his skin when I
> passed him and had a go at me for not ringing my bell.

Yep, that too. You just can't frelling win, can you?

> I wouldn't use a bell when approaching a horse. I'll stick to using a
> reassuring voice instead.

Likewise - I'm always worried that the bell would be too harsh and
startling a noise, horses being often quite nervy anyhow.

--
Carol
"Mmmmooooowooooff!" - the Moobark, "The Treacle People"

Tony W wrote:
> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >

> > Stop pedalling a derailluer equiped bike and it is pretty quiet

UNLESS
> > you have those noisy Campag hubs.

> Or knobbly 'banshee' tyres

LOL, those are just food to noise convertors.

I also tend to whistle from some distance away. At least horses seem
much less likely to bolt or shy from cyclists than skaters. Horses and
skaters really don't mix, and you have to be super careful passing them.

On 1 Jan 2005 08:23:02 -0800, "LSMike" <[email protected]> wrote:

>At least horses seem
>much less likely to bolt or shy from cyclists than skaters.

I know what you mean. And when a skater bolts, it's sheer carnage.

Doh! Sorry, I should have put an extra from in there. I'm sure you
know what I meant.

:)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:22:30 -0000 someone who may be "Tony W"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Many years ago I was told (by a very experienced horsewoman who was on the
>verge of the British Olympic team) that, as fair distance back, I should
>pull out so the horse could see me (horses can look backwards) and make a
>'gentle' noise.

Presumably so that someone coming the other way too fast in a car
can crash into you:)

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

sean wrote:
> How do horseriders like to be made away that you are approaching them
> from behind?

Having finally remembered to ask this question of a friend of mine, the
answer is: Anything that makes it obvious that you are there, and made
further back than you might credit. If you are riding with someone, talk
to one another slightly louder than normal, or if on your own, shout
"hello" or similar while far back.

The bike itself isn't a problem (Although leaving plenty of room is a
good idea), but it's sudden appearance in their peripheral vision can be
disturbing.

Jon

On 29 Dec 2004 13:02:45 GMT, [email protected]omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote:

>>How do horseriders like to be made away that you are approaching them
>>from behind?

>A not too loud and distinctly friendly-toned "cyclist coming up behind" will do
>the trick. Also talk to the horse & rider as you carefully cycle by.
>
>Cheers, helen s

Ah, but what if you are in a Road Race bunch of about 35 riders, doing
about 30 miles an hour, and the said horse suddenly (rider did not
look) appears out of the bushes, and onto the road way about 50 yards
in front of the bunch.

The very loud, and distinctly unfriendly-toned cyclists were crashing
left right and centre, as the horse joined in with the bunch, in awe
at all those wonderfully coloured jerseys flashing (or not) by.

Yep, most of the fallen cyclists talked to the horse and rider as they
carefully got up off of the road surface. Not really sure what they
said, (but can guess) as I took advantage and was off (to eventually
win the race), and a second cat licence to boot.

The horse rider was an **** (I am told) full of p... and importance,
and why were we riding so fast on HIS (public) road. Burned on my
memory THAT race.

Ney Ney.

>Ah, but what if you are in a Road Race bunch of about 35 riders, doing
>about 30 miles an hour, and the said horse suddenly (rider did not
>look) appears out of the bushes, and onto the road way about 50 yards
>in front of the bunch.

I'm pleased to say that isn't an everyday occurance for me. Indeed the
possibility of *me* being in a cycling race are
1. Fat
2. Slim

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address --
to get correct one remove $ and *
h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$
www.ccbreckland.org.uk

>The horse rider was an **** (I am told) full of p... and importance,
>and why were we riding so fast on HIS (public) road.

Surely you need to ride with consideration for horseriders?

Cheers

Blippie
--
Ten minutes of this rain will do more good in half an hour than a fortnight
of ordinary rain in a month.

Blippie <alt.aviation.roswell.wannabe.wannabe.wannabe> wrote:

> >The horse rider was an **** (I am told) full of p... and importance,
> >and why were we riding so fast on HIS (public) road.

> Surely you need to ride with consideration for horseriders?

Yes of course, but it cuts both ways - in this case it sounds as if the
horse rider wasn't paying attention to what was passing before coming
out into the road.

I always try to be considerate of horse riders that I meet on the road,
and most of them are friendly and pleasant in return, but as with all
modes of transport, you get the odd arrogant nitwit who thinks s/he owns
the road.