April 1, 2005 headlines

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike Kruger, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    In today's news:

    Serotta, Seven sign exclusive distribution deal with Wal-mart

    Mike Vandeman elected president of International Mountain
    Biking Association (IMBA)

    UCI declares recumbents superior, will be allowed beginning
    with 2005 Tour de France.
    (Beards now mandatory on all riders -- and podium girls.)

    Tags:

  2. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:12:57 -0600, Mike Kruger wrote:

    > Beards now mandatory on all riders

    great, now their kisses will smell like soup.

  3. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 05:22:33 -0800, Maggie wrote:

    > Mike Kruger wrote:
    >> In today's news:
    >>
    >> Serotta, Seven sign exclusive distribution deal with Wal-mart

    > This is great news, Serotta Bicycles makes the absolutely, very finest
    > handmade bicycle frames using the very, very best titanium and steel. And
    > don't forget carbon fiber. I wonder if Wal-mart is going to have someone
    > help us with the custom fit. I know they are custom made to the cyclists
    > specifications. This is great news. Good going Wal-Mart. I am proud I
    > bought my first bike from you. All Good Things,
    > Maggie

    It was a joke, Maggie. ;)

    Kind of like saying that Bentley will now be offering a Korean made entry
    level luxury car for 12K.

    Walmart will remain a huge evil corporation, destroying the fabric of
    small towns and sucking at the teat of the welfare system--you got it--it
    costs governments money to have Walmarts in town, as they don't pay a
    living wage. They also systematically discriminate against women, not good
    stuff Maggie. Anti-labour to the point of brainwashing and hostility. Ick.

    Some folks that are really poor shop there to get by, I ain't gonna
    criticize that. Considering the amount of cash you're gonna
    blow on your daughters wedding (hope it turns out grand :D) you can afford
    to shop elsewhere.

    If you want big box shopping with a conscience, try Costco. They pay a
    very fair living wage, offer great benefits, and generally have the
    happiest employees in the trade with great retention. They also strongly
    support the Democratic Party, something that's incredibly important to me.

  4. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    maxo wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 05:22:33 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    >

    >> Mike Kruger wrote:
    >>> In today's news:
    >>>
    >>> Serotta, Seven sign exclusive distribution deal with Wal-mart

    >> This is great news, Serotta Bicycles makes the absolutely, very
    >> finest handmade bicycle frames using the very, very best titanium
    >> and steel. And don't forget carbon fiber. I wonder if Wal-mart is
    >> going to have someone help us with the custom fit. I know they are
    >> custom made to the cyclists specifications. This is great news. Good
    >> going Wal-Mart. I am proud I bought my first bike from you. All
    >> Good Things,
    >> Maggie

    > It was a joke, Maggie. ;)

    So was her post, "maxo".

    > Kind of like saying that Bentley will now be offering a Korean made
    > entry level luxury car for 12K.

    {snip}

    > If you want big box shopping with a conscience, try Costco. They pay a
    > very fair living wage, offer great benefits, and generally have the
    > happiest employees in the trade with great retention. They also
    > strongly support the Democratic Party, something that's incredibly
    > important to me.

    Ah, that explains your /incredibly/ condescending attitude toward Maggie AND
    /incredibly/ obvious lack of a sense of humor.

    :p

  5. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:13:55 +0000, Bill Sornson wrote:

    > So was her post, "maxo".

    There is nothing in it to indicate that it was a joke, either in tone, nor
    in emoticon. Maggie is a newcomer to cycling, so she may have taken a
    facetious comment literally. No shame in that.

    My post was not condescending to say the least, but highly informed and of
    great value to the human race. It was fully of wisdom, chopped nuts, and
    other fruits of the earth.

    You are an overly sensitive pussilanimous douchebag.

    [Adds Bill Sorenson to permanent killfile]

    Ah, plonking, nothing's better.

  6. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[Adds Bill Sorenson to permanent killfile]
    >
    >Ah, plonking, nothing's better.

    FREE WILLY!!!

  7. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:13:55 +0000, Bill Sornson wrote:
    >
    >> So was her post, "maxo".

    >There is nothing in it to indicate that it was a joke, either in tone, nor
    >in emoticon. Maggie is a newcomer to cycling, so she may have taken a
    >facetious comment literally. No shame in that.

    Also, that's a great word. It's the only word that I can think of
    where ALL the vowels appear in their correct alphabetical order:

    f-A-c-E-t-I-O-U-s.

    Cool, huh?

  8. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:27:42 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

    > maxo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:13:55 +0000, Bill Sornson wrote:
    >>
    >>> So was her post, "maxo".

    >>There is nothing in it to indicate that it was a joke, either in tone,
    >>nor in emoticon. Maggie is a newcomer to cycling, so she may have taken a
    >>facetious comment literally. No shame in that.

    > Also, that's a great word. It's the only word that I can think of where
    > ALL the vowels appear in their correct alphabetical order:
    >
    > f-A-c-E-t-I-O-U-s.
    >
    > Cool, huh?

    rofl!!

    How random and good!

    I finally learned how to spell it--I'd been spelling it "fascitous" for
    the longest time [blush]. We shouldn't get our fascism mixes up with our
    faces or something like that. :p

  9. Maggie

    Maggie Guest

    Neil Brooks wrote:
    > maxo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >[Adds Bill Sorenson to permanent killfile]
    > >
    > >Ah, plonking, nothing's better.

    > FREE WILLY!!!

    I second that emotion. Willy should be free. This is story of a NG and
    their killer poster named Willy, and how love set him free.
    Out of the killfile and into the thread.
    Maggie (painting picket signs)

  10. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    maxo wrote:
    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:13:55 +0000, Bill Sornson wrote:
    >
    >> So was her post, "maxo".

    > There is nothing in it to indicate that it was a joke, either in
    > tone, nor in emoticon. Maggie is a newcomer to cycling, so she may
    > have taken a facetious comment literally. No shame in that.

    Dude, here's a dime. Buy a clue.

    > My post was not condescending to say the least, but highly informed
    > and of great value to the human race. It was fully of wisdom, chopped
    > nuts, and other fruits of the earth.

    While it was fruity, it was also a tad smarmy to Maggie. Face it, she
    joined in the spirit of the original April Fool's post, and you didn't pick
    up on it. (The fact that she IS a newbie gives it away, as she wrote all
    that "faux knowledgeable" stuff about high-end bikes.)

    > You are an overly sensitive pussilanimous douchebag.

    That is something from which I shall never recover. (The insult, that is,
    not the douchebaggery.) Oh, and check your spelling! Pussy animus? Or
    pusillanimous?!?

    > [Adds Bill Sorenson to permanent killfile]
    >
    > Ah, plonking, nothing's better.

    And you call ME over-sensitive! (Oh, and learn to spell that which you
    plonk.)

    Resisting urge to say something about typical liberal wimpiness,

    Free Willy II

  11. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:41:25 -0800, Maggie wrote:

    > Neil Brooks wrote:
    >> maxo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >> >[Adds Bill Sorenson to permanent killfile]
    >> >
    >> >Ah, plonking, nothing's better.

    >> FREE WILLY!!!

    > I second that emotion. Willy should be free. This is story of a NG and
    > their killer poster named Willy, and how love set him free. Out of the
    > killfile and into the thread. Maggie (painting picket signs)

    Shouldn't this be willy.unzip.misc?

    :D

  12. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:32:37 GMT, maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:27:42 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:
    >
    >> maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>There is nothing in it to indicate that it was a joke, either in tone,
    >>>nor in emoticon. Maggie is a newcomer to cycling, so she may have taken a
    >>>facetious comment literally. No shame in that.

    >> Also, that's a great word. It's the only word that I can think of where
    >> ALL the vowels appear in their correct alphabetical order:
    >>
    >> f-A-c-E-t-I-O-U-s.
    >>
    >> Cool, huh?

    >rofl!!
    >
    >How random and good!
    >
    >I finally learned how to spell it--I'd been spelling it "fascitous" for
    >the longest time [blush].

    Too many episodes of Hogan's Heroes.

    Ron

  13. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 09:41:25 -0800, Maggie wrote:
    >
    >> Neil Brooks wrote:

    >>> FREE WILLY!!!

    >> I second that emotion. Willy should be free. This is story of a NG and
    >> their killer poster named Willy, and how love set him free. Out of the
    >> killfile and into the thread. Maggie (painting picket signs)

    >Shouldn't this be willy.unzip.misc?

    Don't say that or someone will bring up Monica and...

    .... oops.

    Besides, you don't REALLY want Bill in there with all the other
    riff-raff in your kill file, do you? He'll get 'em organized and
    they'll sneak out and reformat your hard drive.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  14. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 00:33:08 +0000, RonSonic wrote:

    > Too many episodes of Hogan's Heroes.
    >
    > Ron

    Blame it on Klink...

  15. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 17:54:52 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:

    > maxo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> I second that emotion. Willy should be free. This is story of a NG and
    >>> their killer poster named Willy, and how love set him free. Out of the
    >>> killfile and into the thread. Maggie (painting picket signs)

    >>Shouldn't this be willy.unzip.misc?

    > Don't say that or someone will bring up Monica and...
    >
    > ... oops.
    >
    > Besides, you don't REALLY want Bill in there with all the other riff-raff
    > in your kill file, do you? He'll get 'em organized and they'll sneak out
    > and reformat your hard drive.

    My Maxtor HDD is penguin powered and will use frozen herrings to protect
    itself.

    (only did a 30 temp kill, not the same as the true spam, it's lonely in
    there ;))

  16. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:17:29 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

    > maxo wrote:
    >
    >>> If you want big box shopping with a conscience, try Costco. They pay a
    >>> very fair living wage, offer great benefits, and generally have the
    >>> happiest employees in the trade with great retention. They also
    >>> strongly support the Democratic Party, something that's incredibly
    >>> important to me.

    > Bill Sornson wrote:
    >
    >>Ah, that explains your /incredibly/ condescending attitude toward Maggie
    >>AND /incredibly/ obvious lack of a sense of humor.
    >>
    >>:p

    > For that, I'm gonna *cream* you on the hills today.... :p

    Cream, as in the first step in making cookies? I envy your KitchenAid!

  17. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 07:41:43 -0800, Maggie wrote:

    > maxo, you're being a silly goose.
    > Maggie

    *blush*

  18. "Neil Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Also, that's a great word. It's the only word that I can think of
    > where ALL the vowels appear in their correct alphabetical order:
    >
    > f-A-c-E-t-I-O-U-s.
    >
    > Cool, huh?

    Also, abstemious.

    Also of note -- the shortest word in English with all the vowels (not in
    order) that is common is Sequoia.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky