April Fools, on usenet, isn't all that funny

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Kurgan Gringioni, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Dumbasses -

    April Fools is funny when its cleverly disguised and suckers the
    unsuspecting reader into buying into its mirage. Like the SI article on
    Syd Finch. That one even fooled some of my friends who were on the
    collegiate baseball team.

    On usenet, it's not funny. 2/3s of the April 1 threads are of the Fools
    variety and its just no good when you know its a Fools post before you
    even start reading.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

    Tags:

  2. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dumbasses -
    >

    > April Fools is funny when its cleverly disguised and suckers the
    > unsuspecting reader into buying into its mirage. Like the SI article on
    > Syd Finch. That one even fooled some of my friends who were on the
    > collegiate baseball team.
    >
    > On usenet, it's not funny. 2/3s of the April 1 threads are of the Fools
    > variety and its just no good when you know its a Fools post before you
    > even start reading.
    >

    > thanks,
    >
    > K. Gringioni.

    I feel sorry for the people who spend time creating the posts. They
    obiviously think that it is funny or they wouldn't post it but there are
    very few funny stories. I agree that the Sid Finch story was an exception.

  3. Charles .

    Charles . Guest

    U have no sense of Humor.
    news:[email protected]oups.com...
    > Dumbasses -
    >

    > April Fools is funny when its cleverly disguised and suckers the
    > unsuspecting reader into buying into its mirage. Like the SI article on
    > Syd Finch. That one even fooled some of my friends who were on the
    > collegiate baseball team.
    >
    > On usenet, it's not funny. 2/3s of the April 1 threads are of the Fools
    > variety and its just no good when you know its a Fools post before you
    > even start reading.
    >

    > thanks,
    >
    > K. Gringioni.

  4. Mad Dog

    Mad Dog Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni says...

    >April Fools is funny when its cleverly disguised

    Yawn. You wouldn't know funny if it was pasted to a 2x4 and repeatedly slammed
    against your forehead. By the way, who did slam a 2x4 against your forehead
    when you were a little boy? Dumbass.

  5. Cosmo

    Cosmo Guest

    "Spent time"? Dude, this is rec.bicycles.racing. It takes about 15
    seconds to place a post. Most people don't even proofread.

    Also, I think you're both overlooking the fact that not every April
    Fool's hoax is designed to "trick" its reader. Hed's Stalingrad
    wheelset, for example. Or any of my own April Fool's stories. It's just
    nice to goof off and do something different once in a while.

    -Cosmo
    http://iheartvelonews.com

  6. "Cosmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Spent time"? Dude, this is rec.bicycles.racing. It takes about 15
    > seconds to place a post. Most people don't even proofread.
    >
    > Also, I think you're both overlooking the fact that not every April
    > Fool's hoax is designed to "trick" its reader. Hed's Stalingrad
    > wheelset, for example. "Or any of my own April Fool's stories."It's just
    > nice to goof off and do something different once in a while.
    >
    > -Cosmo
    > http://iheartvelonews.com

    "Or any of my own April Fool's stories."

    I think that the reader gets to decide if the story is funny, not the
    author. Present company excluded of course...

  7. Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > April Fools is funny when its cleverly disguised and suckers the
    > unsuspecting reader into buying into its mirage. Like the SI article on
    > Syd Finch. That one even fooled some of my friends who were on the
    > collegiate baseball team.
    >
    > On usenet, it's not funny. 2/3s of the April 1 threads are of the Fools
    > variety and its just no good when you know its a Fools post before you
    > even start reading.

    Dumbass,

    Usenet April Fools' posts are only incidentally intended
    to be funny and to sucker people. That's good when it
    happens but hard to do, and there's little sport in fishing
    for the likes of Kunich. Great trolls are done on days
    other than April 1.

    The real purpose of Usenet April Fools' posts is to expose
    the type of know-it-all personality that is compelled to
    immediately follow up the post with one saying "Ha ha,
    I get it, April Fools!" Like, um, Kunich.

    You of all people should understand this.

    Ben

    p.s. <http://www.ledger-dispatch.com/sports/sportsview.asp?c=165850>
    Picture caption: "Amador West All Star first baseman Syd Finch"

    p.p.s. There was a persistent legend at the Univ. of Pennsylvania
    that one April 1 after seeing the student newspaper, an unnamed
    bigshot professor had called the Dean demanding to know why
    he, Professor Bigshot, hadn't been given advance notice that
    Penn was going to be kicked out of the Ivy League.
    Too brilliant.