Arafat Dead

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by MountainPro, Nov 11, 2004.

1. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

Just before the local gloating scum break this story, i thought i would post it first. RIP Mr Arafat. May God help us all now.

Palestinians mourn Arafat's death

Agencies
    Thursday November 11, 2004

Yasser Arafat, leader of the Palestinian people for the last three decades, died early this morning in a Paris hospital.

Flags lowered to half mast across the West Bank and the Gaza Strip as word spread that the 75-year-old president of the Palestinian Authority had died after falling into a coma one week ago.

"Yasser Arafat, president of the Palestinian Authority, died at the military hospital Percy, Clamart on November 11, 2004, at 3.30 (0230 GMT)," Christian Estripeau, chief doctor and hospital spokesman, announced at the hospital in the Paris suburb of Clamart.

Mr Arafat had been flown to the French hospital on October 29, before suffering a brain haemorrhage on Tuesday. Doctors have not released the exact cause of death.

Mr Arafat's body will be flown to Cairo for a ceremony on Friday and then to the West Bank city of Ramallah for burial on Saturday.

An aide to Mr Arafat, Tayeb Abdel Rahim, was near tears as he announced the death in Ramallah. The Palestinian Authority declared a 40-day mourning period in the West Bank and Gaza, where mosque loudspeakers blared the announcement along with verses from the Koran.

There was no sorrow, though, among Israeli officials. "I hated him, not personally, but a deep hatred for a man who made terrorism a method in the world," the justice minister, Yosef Lapid, told Israel radio. The prime minister, Tony Blair, released a statement on learning of his death: "I would like to express my condolences to the family of President Arafat and to the Palestinian people. President Arafat came to symbolise the Palestinian national movement. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994, jointly with Yitzhak Rubin, in recognition of their efforts to achieve peace in the Middle East.

He led his people to an historic acceptance of the need for a two-state solution. That goal of a viable Palestinian state alongside a secure Israel is one that we must continue to work tirelessly to achieve. Peace in the Middle East must be the international community's highest priority.

"We will do whatever we can working with the US and EU to help the parties reach a fair and durable settlement," he said.

Mr Arafat had wanted to be buried in Jerusalem, but Israel vetoed that idea. Both the Israelis and Palestinians claim the city as their capital. Instead, Mr Arafat will be buried in his Ramallah compound, or Muqata, to which he had been confined by Israel for nearly three years. Aides said today that he would be buried in a stone coffin, not a wooden one, to allow his re-interment at a later time in Jerusalem. "The final resting place will be the Al Aqsa Mosque," said Palestinian Cabinet minister Saeb Erekat. "One of these days, we will have a Palestinian state, and President Arafat will be laid to rest (in Jerusalem)."

Tags:

2. Ottis

Ottis New Member

he died. oh well. maybe now palestine will get some better leadership?
    and yes, i hope he will rest in peace which unfortunatly he couldn't achieve

3. skydive69

skydive69 New Member

You don't have to worry about comments you consider inappropriate. They are censored - as were mine. You can all whine and cry together without danger of the truth rearing its ugly head!

4. keydates

keydates New Member

It's one thing to criticize someone's policies, it's another to celebrate their death.

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Indeed, he is dead.

Regardless of peoples opinions, it has to be acknowledged that he stuck with the Palestinian Cause for over 40 years.
    Rightly or wrongly, one has got to respect that.

He elevated the Palestinian cause and gave it prominence.
    The Palestinian Cause is a legitimate cause.

I commend him for the Oslo peace accord and I commend his efforts (with Yitzakh Rabin) to try to find a solution to the problem of the Jewish State.

6. limerickmin

limerickmin New Member

Yes he is finally dead.

The inventor of terrorist hijackings. The man with the blood of Israeli athletes from Munick 1972 on his hands. The Butcher - Arafat, is dead.

Surely the the PA will appoint a similarly blood thirsty monster to replace him.

7. skydive69

skydive69 New Member

It depends on the subject of the celebration. Hitler's death was cause for celebration. Perhaps you would have mourned his death.

8. byron27

byron27 New Member

Cant say i was that upset when old ronny raygun bit the dust to be honest...

9. skydive69

skydive69 New Member

You sound like a real winner. Don't bother filling out a Mensa application pal!

10. byron27

byron27 New Member

dont have to mate, im already a member!!!

want to embarass yourself again??

11. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

That explains all.

"Oh Lord, its hard to be humble
    When you're perfect in every way.
    I can't wait to look in the mirror
    Cause I get better looking each day.
    To know me is to love me
    I must be a hell of a man.
    Oh Lord its hard to be humble
    But I'm doing the best that I can"

Many thanks and apologies to David Allen Coe, Steve Goodman and Mac Davis

12. skydive69

skydive69 New Member

Uh, huh, you are lots of things according to your posts - some of which might even be true, but the Mensa membership is highly unlikely! What chapter and to which SIG groups do you belong in Mensa?

The only thing we know for sure is that you are a complete asshole pal!

13. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

what??? Ray-gun??? dead?

oh well, he wasnt exactly the brightest match in the box...anyway, where did i leave my sandwich?

killed by commies was he?

14. keydates

keydates New Member

I'll agree with you about Hitler, or most any dictator of the past...accusing me of being a Nazi does nothing do help you, nor does it hurt me.

I'll modify my thought. Under most circumstances, it is one thing to criticize someone based on their policies and beliefs, it's another thing to celebrate their death. You don't have to be mourning for him/her, but don't have a parade on the street just because he/she died.

15. davidmc

davidmc New Member

He led his people to an historic acceptance of the need for a two-state solution. That goal of a viable Palestinian state alongside a secure Israel is one that we must continue to work tirelessly to achieve. Peace in the Middle East must be the international community's highest priority.

Who was the 1st American politician to advocate a separate state for Palestine :confused: Take a guess. :rolleyes:

16. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Bush, I think.

I cannot recall Clinton actually using the phrase Palestinian State and it was in 1988 that Arafat actually said that he had to accept that Israel was entitled to his sovereignity ( a point that the Arafat critics never refer to).

So my guess is Bush.

Am I right ?

17. davidmc

davidmc New Member

It was Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D) !!! (wife of [former] Pres. Clinton)

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Very good.

Tonight there was widespread coverage of the Bush/Bliar summit and the news
    reporter stated that Bush used the phrase "Palestinian State along a safe Israel"
    last year.
    That's why I suggested Bush.

Of course, the reporter also pointed out that Bush is great a reciting platitudes and cliches - but slow to follow up.

Bliar was torn apart tonight by the political correspondents for the erpception that he was Bush's man.
    He is getting more and more stick - is Bliar.
    Adam Boulton of Sky News ripped him apart.
    Bliar looked like he wanted to throttle Boulton !

19. davidmc

davidmc New Member

On The U.S.'s-c-span radio, heard Blair say that he was a progressive politician, supporting a conservative president as a proof that his complicity ( in Iraq) was genuine; in answer to a reporter's question as to whether he was Bush's "poodle".