ARBR trivia

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill B

Bill B Guest

How old is this group? Who started this group? How long have you been posting on this group? Does
    anybody moderate this group? Inquiring minds need to know!!!!!!!

Tags:

2. Cletus Lee

Cletus Lee Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > How old is this group? Who started this group? How long have you been posting on this group? Does
    > anybody moderate this group? Inquiring minds need to know!!!!!!!
    >

http://www.google.com/groups?q=new+group:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    &as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=1981&as_maxd=16&as_maxm=5&as_maxy=1997&selm=cycleam-
    1205972249020001%40kelp248.cruzio.com&rnum=1
    --

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

3. Martin Krieg of NBG (I think) got ARBR going. Are we Moderated?...can you imagine how cruel THAT
    would be to have someone moderate this group day after day, year after year? Would think it would be
    cruel and unusual punishment to bestoy upon anyone. As for how long I personally have been posting
    to this group...lurked for 2 years till I figured out how to post, suspect many of my posts ended up
    in another NG because they never appeared on this board. A couple of years ago I finally figured it
    out...much to everyone's dismay (especially for Fast Freddy). I have no idea how long this NG has
    been around...at least 4 years, I'd guess around 1996/7 since the group would refer to earlier posts
    as I lurked in 1999.
    -------------------------------------
    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How old is this group? Who started this group? How long have you been posting on this group? Does

4. [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

Here's what I believe is the first post...That was this week, six years ago!

Regards -- DP

--------------------------------------------

From: Martin Krieg ([email protected]) Subject: The New Recumbent Bicycle Newsgroup!! This is
    the only article in this thread View: Original Format Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,
    rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles, marketplace, ba.bicycles, rec.bicycles.soc, rec.bicycles.rides,
    rec.bicycles.tech Date: 1997/05/13

Announcing the successful actualization of a new newsgroup for recumbent bicycles entitled:

alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.

If your ISP doesn't carry it, ask them to!

Look here for a broad exchange of ideas as recumbents usher us into the next millenium with a ground
    swell of excitement!! Sales and ridership of recumbent bicycles are growing at unprecedented levels
    as more and more bike dealers across the country are beginning to make them available to the
    public.......

I want to especiallly thank Eugene A. Calame, Martijn Dekker (all the way from Norway) & Paula J.
    Morrow for helping me figure out how to send a control message to make this newsgroup a reality!

And THX to Dave Giggy for helping us make http://www.BikeRoute.com the largest recumbent bicycle web
    site in the world!! THX Dave, U R truly awesome!!

5. <Chas>

<Chas> Guest

"Dennis Pedrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
    > > How old is this group? Who started this group? How long have you been posting on this group?
    > > Does anybody moderate this group? Inquiring minds need to know!!!!!!!
    >
    > Here's what I believe is the first post...That was this week, six years ago!
    >
    > Regards -- DP
    >
    > --------------------------------------------
    >
    > From: Martin Krieg ([email protected]) Subject: The New Recumbent Bicycle Newsgroup!! This is
    > the only article in this thread View: Original Format Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,
    > rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles, marketplace, ba.bicycles, rec.bicycles.soc, rec.bicycles.rides,
    > rec.bicycles.tech Date: 1997/05/13
    >
    >
    > Announcing the successful actualization of a new newsgroup for recumbent bicycles entitled:
    >
    > alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.
    >
    > If your ISP doesn't carry it, ask them to!
    >
    > Look here for a broad exchange of ideas as recumbents usher us into the next millenium with a
    > ground swell of excitement!! Sales and ridership of recumbent bicycles are growing at
    > unprecedented levels as more and more bike dealers across the country are beginning to make them
    > available to the public.......
    >
    > I want to especiallly thank Eugene A. Calame, Martijn Dekker (all the way from Norway) & Paula J.
    > Morrow for helping me figure out how to send a control message to make this newsgroup a reality!
    >
    > And THX to Dave Giggy for helping us make http://www.BikeRoute.com the largest recumbent bicycle
    > web site in the world!! THX Dave, U R truly awesome!!

Oddly enough, Martin Krieg, the founder of this newsgroup, has managed to get himself into most
    people's killfile through his incessant spamming of this ng. Too bad, good intentions gone awry.

My $0.02 worth - worth even less in Canada

<Chas

6. Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman Guest

"" wrote:...
    > My $0.02 worth - worth even less in Canada

Worth $0.0146 US on May 16, 2003.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

7. Daniel Payne

Daniel Payne Guest

On 16-May-2003, [email protected] (Bill B) wrote:

> Who started this group?

Kind of ashame that he never adds his viewpoint to any of the threads...

Daniel

8. Derek

Derek Guest

Martin of CycleAmerica fame started this group; then got flamed off of it after mercilessly spamming
    it one too many times. Bless him anyways. You would have to meet him in person to understand. I have
    been posting here since 1998. Nobody responds to my posts anymore since I put that post in here
    about recumbent riders all being aging overweight weaklings a few years ago . . . .bent riders have
    no sense of humor.

Anyone here still remember saar.recumbent group? The short list of this NG's ghosts would not be
    complete without Marci, who has the standing record for the most bents owned by a non-dealer.

Derek

"Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message

9. Tom Sherman

Tom Sherman Guest

Derek wrote:
    > ... Anyone here still remember saar.recumbent group? The short list of this NG's ghosts would not
    > be complete without Marci, who has the standing record for the most bents owned by a non-dealer.

I believe that "bentbiker" from Toledo [1] has owned even more recumbent bikes than Marci.

As for Marci being a ghost, she posted to a.r.b.r. as recently as four days ago.

[1] Ohio, not Spain.

Tom Sherman - Various HPV's Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

10. "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    I have been posting here
    > since 1998. Nobody responds to my posts anymore since I put that post in here about recumbent
    > riders all being aging overweight weaklings a few
    years
    > ago . . . .bent riders have no sense of humor.

> Derek

Derek, I take offenceto the remark that bent riders have no sense of humor. I have a great sense of
    humor. You are now in my Kill file Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken" www.recumbentstuff.com

11. Bentbiker

Bentbiker Guest

Derek, if you want to be really "funny" make a reply to EVERY topic, then Denny will have to see it
    when it's replied to. Just kidding guys, every one get back to real bent topics now.

Denny Voorhees wrote:
    > "Derek" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > I have been posting here
    >
    >>since 1998. Nobody responds to my posts anymore since I put that post in here about recumbent
    >>riders all being aging overweight weaklings a few
    >
    > years
    >
    >>ago . . . .bent riders have no sense of humor.
    >
    >
    >>Derek
    >
    >
    > Derek, I take offenceto the remark that bent riders have no sense of humor. I have a great sense
    > of humor. You are now in my Kill file Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken"
    > www.recumbentstuff.com
    >
    >

12. "bentbiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Derek, if you want to be really "funny" make a reply to EVERY topic, then Denny will have to see
    > it when it's replied to. Just kidding guys,
    So am I Denny

13. Edward Wong

Edward Wong Guest

"Daniel Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On 16-May-2003, [email protected] (Bill B) wrote:
    >
    > > Who started this group?
    >
    > Kind of ashame that he never adds his viewpoint to any of the threads...
    >
    > Daniel

He has! One time he posted a rather extensive and glowing review on a Penniger trike he acquired and
    some unenlighted soul accused him of spamming just because Penniger is one of the advertisers on his
    website. So it's alright for a Baccetta dealer to post glowing reviews on those bikes and not be
    accused of spamming but Martin can't talk about a bike that he actually owns and uses as a real
    vehicle. It's alright for a recumbent dealer to post announcements of merchandise he is trying to
    get rid of but Martin can't post announcements having to do with bicycle activism and advocacy aimed
    at creating public and governmental awareness for the protection of our rights as cyclists.

Yes he created this newsgroup and not one has stepped forward to thank him for doing so. Sure
    someone else would have done so had he not taken the initiative but the point is that he took it.

For the record, I've been actively participating in this newsgroup for 4 years plus and look forward
    to signing on almost every day to read and post to it.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

14. Rorschandt

Rorschandt Guest

[email protected] (Edward Wong) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Daniel Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> On 16-May-2003, [email protected] (Bill B) wrote:
    >>
    >> > Who started this group?
    >SNIP<<
    >>
    >> Daniel
    >
    >>>SNIP<
    > It's alright for a recumbent dealer to post announcements of merchandise he is trying to get rid
    > of but Martin can't post announcements having to do with bicycle activism and advocacy aimed at
    > creating public and governmental awareness for the protection of our rights as cyclists.
    >
    > Yes he created this newsgroup and not one has stepped forward to thank him for doing so.

I have. Thanks again Martin.

rorschandt

15. a bunch of benters from Florida gossiped in manner most torrida they sniped and they griped about
    elongated pipe leaving cyclisti quite borrida

16. Daniel Payne

Daniel Payne Guest

On 17-May-2003, [email protected] (Edward Wong) wrote:

> Yes he created this newsgroup and not one has stepped forward to thank him for doing so. Sure
    > someone else would have done so had he not taken the initiative but the point is that he took it.
    >
    > For the record, I've been actively participating in this newsgroup for 4 years plus and look
    > forward to signing on almost every day to read and post to it.
    >
    > Edward Wong Orlando, FL

Well i would like to thank him myself. He seems like he is one of those folks who is easily
    misunderstood.

BTW i've been here about 4 years myself and i read just about every thing, but i am not a prolific
    poster. I read mostly offline and it seems as though, by the time i have something to say, some one
    has already said it. That is fine with me...

Cheers, Daniel, S.E Pa.

17. In article <[email protected]>, ewong3 @mpinet.net says...
    > "Daniel Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > On 16-May-2003, [email protected] (Bill B) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Who started this group?
    > >
    > > Kind of ashame that he never adds his viewpoint to any of the threads...
    > >
    > > Daniel
    >
    > He has! One time he posted a rather extensive and glowing review on a Penniger trike he acquired
    > and some unenlighted soul accused him of spamming just because Penniger is one of the advertisers
    > on his website. So it's alright for a Baccetta dealer to post glowing reviews on those bikes and
    > not be accused of spamming but Martin can't talk about a bike that he actually owns and uses as a
    > real vehicle.
    >
    > Yes he created this newsgroup and not one has stepped forward to thank him for doing so. Sure
    > someone else would have done so had he not taken the initiative but the point is that he took it.

The reason that 'not one has stepped forward to thank him for doing so' is because Martin has
    managed to get placed in many active readers 'bozo bin' I for one never see his posts any more and
    the NG is a much nicer place for me since I quit putting up with Martin's obsequious flattery.

Everything that Martin posts is 'extensive and glowing'. That gets very tiring after a while. The
    same can not be said of the occasional 'glowing review' by a Bacchetta dealer or Tour Easy Employee.

--
    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

18. Edward Wong

Edward Wong Guest

> Everything that Martin posts is 'extensive and glowing'. That gets very tiring after a while. The
    > same can not be said of the occasional 'glowing review' by a Bacchetta dealer or Tour Easy
    > Employee.

Well that's his writing style and I guess no one has to read his stuff if they don't want to. The
    constant "Bents are faster than wedgies" posts to me get more tiring than the occasional "extensive
    and glowing" post from Martin.

Edward Wong Orlando, FL

19. Harv

Harv Guest

I've been here since 98 or 99. I think in my first post I spelled Cletus (one E) Lee's (two E's)
    name wrong.:eek:) "Daniel Payne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > On 17-May-2003, [email protected] (Edward Wong) wrote:
    >
    > > Yes he created this newsgroup and not one has stepped forward to thank him for doing so.
    > > Sure someone else would have done so had he not taken the initiative but the point is that
    > > he took it.
    > >
    > > For the record, I've been actively participating in this newsgroup for 4 years plus and look
    > > forward to signing on almost every day to read and post to it.
    > >
    > > Edward Wong Orlando, FL
    >
    > Well i would like to thank him myself. He seems like he is one of those folks who is easily
    > misunderstood.
    >
    > BTW i've been here about 4 years myself and i read just about every thing, but i am not a prolific
    > poster. I read mostly offline and it seems as though, by the time i have something to say, some
    > one has already said it. That is fine with me...
    >
    > Cheers, Daniel, S.E Pa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.