Arch cleats?

jbvcoaching

Dec 28, 2005
Isn't this the top athlete who supposedly used them?

Pedals look under the ball to me...

index.php

Putting aside any discussion on the merits or not of mid foot cleats and not that I think it is worthwhile anyway but it is possible to have 2 sets of cleats in the same shoe so the rider can change during a ride but it would have to be old spd's or similar small pedal type to fit.

there was someone I can't recall who did this during road racing but I can't think why you'd do it for a TT though....

jbvcoaching said:
Isn't this the top athlete who supposedly used them?

Pedals look under the ball to me...

index.php

Her website has a number of pics showing her using the arch position, so the only thing I can think is that she's reverted for some reason.

acoggan said:
Her website has a number of pics showing her using the arch position, so the only thing I can think is that she's reverted for some reason.
Forwards or backwards.... the choice is yours.

1792_DSC06136.JPG

Squint said:
Those Activespokes wheels haven't really taken off either.
Yeah... but whatever works for her. It's a little harder to argue that it's no good for her when she's doing it and wearing the rainbow jersey.

SONDAG-28s48-ljungs_175304w.jpg

Alex Simmons said:
Putting aside any discussion on the merits or not of mid foot cleats and not that I think it is worthwhile anyway but it is possible to have 2 sets of cleats in the same shoe so the rider can change during a ride but it would have to be old spd's or similar small pedal type to fit.

there was someone I can't recall who did this during road racing but I can't think why you'd do it for a TT though....
It would seem from everything I've read that the seat positions for arch cleats vs. traditional placement would make doing this very hard (unless you also move the seat).

jbvcoaching said:
It would seem from everything I've read that the seat positions for arch cleats vs. traditional placement would make doing this very hard (unless you also move the seat).
Agreed, I think it was intended for a rider to give them a choice should a sprint situation arise in a road race. It clearly wasn't successful but it can be done!

I'm curious about it all anyway for two reasons. I have a good buddy who positions riders for a living and several riders have gone that way (e.g. my club mate who made an attempt at the Masters world hour record was using mid foot cleat position). I really don't see the advantage but that's another conversation.

Also, when I get my bike leg sorted, I will in effect have a cleat directly under where my ankle would have been. The good thing is I can choose the length of leg that I want!