are all/most crank removel tools the same?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Technician, May 1, 2003.

  1. Technician

    Technician Guest

    banging them out from the other side seems to work for the cheap goose cranks, but on the bike i'll
    have none of that. so i was wondering if all crank removal tools were the same, or if they were
    specific to the manufacture?

    ~Travis
    --
    travis57 at megalink dot net

    travis5765.homelinux.net, Primary Administrator TF Custom Electronics, Owner/Founder/Developer

  2. John G

    John G Guest

    Technician wrote:
    > banging them out from the other side seems to work for the cheap goose cranks, but on the bike
    > i'll have none of that. so i was wondering if all crank removal tools were the same, or if they
    > were specific to the manufacture?

    There are two predominant types:

    CCP-2 (Cotterless Crank Puller) The standard in the industry for 20 years. The CCP-2 uses a long
    comfortable handle and extra fine thread that provides the needed leverage to remove even the
    tightest cranks. Our unique "floating tip" ensures smooth operation and long life. Fits all cranks
    using 22mm x 1 threads

    http://www.parktool.com/tools/CCP_2.shtml

    The CCP-4 is specifically designed to remove crank arms from Shimano® Octalink (splined, oversized
    "pipe billet") spindles, and ISIS Drive ® splined systems. It uses a long, comfortable handle and a
    fine thread for the leverage needed to remove tight crankarms. Rotating tip ensures smooth operation
    and long life.
    NOTE: CCP-4 will not work on crank arms that fit square, tapered bottom bracket spindles.
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/CCP_4.shtml

    OR you COULD get the new CWP-6 It is a compact crank puller with a built-in 8mm hex for removing
    crank bolts. The CWP-6 includes two rotating tips (11.3mm and 16.3mm), so it can be used to remove
    splined Shimano® Octalink and ISIS Drive® crank arms, as well as square-holed crank arms. The
    "floating", hardened tip insures smooth operation and long life. It's the perfect puller for the
    road or home tool kit. http://www.parktool.com/tools/CWP_6.shtml

    For home/trail/limited-budget use that would get my vote!

  3. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | banging them out from the other side seems to work for the cheap goose cranks, but on the bike
    | i'll have none of that. so i was wondering if all crank removal tools were the same, or if they
    | were specific to the manufacture?

    Most of the MTB era crank removal tools are the same. A while back you'd have some differences in
    road bike cranks. Now you need a slightly different tool for splined cranks, but don't worry about
    that just yet.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

  4. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | banging them out from the other side seems to work for the cheap goose cranks, but on the bike
    | i'll have none of that. so i was wondering if all crank removal tools were the same, or if they
    | were specific to the manufacture?

    BTW, the best I ever used was a Wrench Force with a large red triangular plastic handle.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/24/2003

  5. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Technician wrote:
    > > banging them out from the other side seems to work for the cheap goose cranks, but on the bike
    > > i'll have none of that. so i was wondering if all crank removal tools were the same, or if they
    > > were specific to the manufacture?
    >
    > There are two predominant types:
    >

    > CCP-2 (Cotterless Crank Puller) The standard in the industry for 20 years. The CCP-2 uses a long
    > comfortable handle and extra fine thread that provides the needed leverage to remove even the
    > tightest cranks. Our unique "floating tip" ensures smooth operation and long life. Fits all cranks
    > using 22mm x 1 threads
    >
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/CCP_2.shtml

    > The CCP-4 is specifically designed to remove crank arms from Shimano® Octalink (splined, oversized
    > "pipe billet") spindles, and ISIS Drive ® splined systems. It uses a long, comfortable handle and
    > a fine thread for the leverage needed to remove tight crankarms. Rotating tip ensures smooth
    > operation and long life.
    > NOTE: CCP-4 will not work on crank arms that fit square, tapered bottom bracket spindles.
    > http://www.parktool.com/tools/CCP_4.shtml

    > OR you COULD get the new CWP-6 It is a compact crank puller with a built-in 8mm hex for removing
    > crank bolts. The CWP-6 includes two rotating tips (11.3mm and 16.3mm), so it can be used to remove
    > splined Shimano® Octalink and ISIS Drive® crank arms, as well as square-holed crank arms. The
    > "floating", hardened tip insures smooth operation and long life. It's the perfect puller for the
    > road or home tool kit. http://www.parktool.com/tools/CWP_6.shtml
    >
    > For home/trail/limited-budget use that would get my vote!

    Looks like the CWP-6 would be a good choice in that it works for both types of cranks (in case of
    future upgrades), but then too, neither the CCP-2 or CCP-4 are very expensive.

    Thanks.

    ~Travis