Are any of the following a banned Substance???????

MD-CYCLIST

Jan 16, 2003
Dear Fello Cyclists

I would Like to know if any of the following Substances are Banned Substance in sports well they are:

Sodium Caseinate
Microcrystalline Cellulose
L-Cystine
L-Methionine
Magnesium Stearate
Silica
Stearic Acid
Isoleucine
Leucine
L-Lysine
Phenylalanine

Threonine
Valine
Aspartic Acid
Serine
Tryptophan

Well I really Need your Help on this one and I hope you are able to Enlighten me if any of the above are Banned Substances well I hope to hear from you very soon.

Kind regards
A H Khadra

What are you Cooking?

Perhaps you should get an official nod on this one as its an important question (and the answer is often subject to change).

Try contacting your national governing body or the UCI, they will help.

Your local pharmacist should be able to advise you as to the legality of those substances.

There are basically two issues here: firstly your list looks like "standard" supplements, but always check at a reputable site. If in doubt contact your local UCI official BEFORE using a substance. Keep their reply on file.

The second and more important issue is: Does your Super-Hi-Protein HGH-Createnin-Multivitamin product contain only what's written on the label? We had two athletes banned as they tested positive for hormones not listed on their supplements. Why should you use one supplement and not the second? Well, it's all got to do with taste, "addiction", stimulation and effects. Marketing is a tough business, so support ethical and reputable brands. Again: if in doubt ask.

Lastly beware of "natural" products. All human hormones are "natural"! Beware of hormone precursers, they are also banned. Amino acids (like many in your list) are fine. Why all this jargon around doping? Firstly not to harm the athlete and secondly to ensure fair competition. Enjoy!

Please beware that many "supplements" contain ephedra, a precursor to speed that can make you wired and feel as though the supplement was a godsend.

Please, please, read the label for the ingredients. Watch out for ephedra, ma huang, and fo ti: they're all uppers.

Could be wrong, but I think the UCI follows WADA's reccomendations, and I am pretty sure WADA keeps an up to date list of banned substances somewhere on it's website. I could post a current list from another sport - but I wouldn't want to confuse the issue.

-CG

In a recent study almost 20% of supplements which claimed to contain no banned substances, tested as having banned substances.

When you buy from a health store or any other outlet, a product which has no official product licence, then you are taking a risk. It is frightening how many people are getting caught, and the reality has to be that some of the people who have tested positive in recent years have actually taken a banned substance without them knowing. That however is no excuse, www.sports-drugs.com has had countless articles in the last 12 months warning atheltes of these dangers and finally some official organisations are taking heed and providing advice.

If you take a supplement - get it tested - don't believe all thats on the label.

Good point! I think that some athletes argue that they are inocent if a supplement they take has a drug in it. I see no harm in placing the emphasis on riders taking 'clean' supplements and bigger fines for riders caught with banned substances. However there would need to be a lot more support from Governing Bodies.

i think the key here is nutrition. for those not deliberately taking the illegal shortcut - they may be well advised to quit supplements and talk to a good nutritionist instead who amy be able to offer a safer alternative.

If there are any good nutritionists out there - we would be very interested in posting articles and information on www.sports-drugs.com

thanks
Barry

I think the main question with this list of supplements should be

Are they effective?

A lot of people take a shotgun approach to supplements and its impossible to measure the efficacy of such a supplement plan. I'd say the best thing to do is get your nutrition sorted out and then see a coach about what they think you need and what is legal

Also as has been stated all the manufacturing of supplements both illegal and legal takes place on the same equipment and therefore contamination is a very real possibility

check out www.smh.com.au and look at the Pan pharmaceuticals scandal for an example!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.COM HAS GREAT PRICES FOR BANNED SUBSTANCES!!! NOT THAT I'D EVER USE THEM......

SPORTS-DRUGS.COM is Irish not sure that the search would apply to everywhere as companies may use different ingredients in the same produces when sold in different countries. Best to check out your national doping contol sites!