UK and Europe · Public discussion

Are bikes the solution?

Started by Peter · · Last activity · 329 posts · 7,717 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 May 2004
Last activity
1 June 2004
Original author
Peter
Posts
329
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
7,717
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 329
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On 25 May 2004 03:15:19 -0700 someone who may be
    [email hidden] (Peter) wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Many cyclists are complete idiots on the road and don't
    understand the highway code at all.

    Ditto motorists - and probably to a greater extent

    Cyclists tend to be worse, many of them have never done any
    form of test or training.

    Testing and training makes motorists not be complete idiots
    and understand (and apply) the Highway Code.

    An interesting assertion.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
    government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  2. On 25 May 2004 03:26:14 -0700 someone who may be
    [email hidden] (Peter) wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, and reducing your speed by 1mph makes you 5% less
    likely to have an accident. Total rubbish, you've even said
    'cyclists or walkers'.

    Ah, proof by assertion.

    Despite the loud claims of the speeding lobby the Road
    Research Laboratory's work in this area remains valid.

    Quoted message said:

    Cycling on the road's a lot more dangerous than walking on
    the pavement!

    Your evidence for this claim is?

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
    government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  3. David Hansen said:

    On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:53:36 +0100 someone who may be
    "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    Plus all those bike chains will need oiling. Will there
    be enough oil to go round if everyone cycles. I think
    OPEC should be asked. ;-)

    Gosh yes:-) Just how did they manage before lubricants
    were produced from mineral oils:-)

    That's why all us Grauniad-reading muesli munchers have been
    saving all those whales...

    --

    Dave Larrington - legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uklegslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk
    ===========================================================
    Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
    bhpc.org.ukbhpc.org.uk
    ===========================================================

  4. John Hearns <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter said:


    No, they just don't know how to use the roads because
    they've never had any training/tests. I don't think
    they're agressive (at least not non-motorised cycles).


    I think you'll find that many cyclists hold car driving
    licenses.

    :-o

    Quoted message said:

    And driving tests were introduced well, well after people
    'knew how to use the roads' on foot, horseback etc.

    Roads were never this busy, as the roads got busier and
    faster they got more dangerous. That's a reason for the
    tests. A cyclist may not have a car but they are still
    riding in the same busy and fast environment.

    Quoted message said:

    Driving tests are for users of motor vehicles - and
    further there are different categories.

    Also on this group you will find frequent discussions
    about cycling training, both for schools and adults.

    Yes, there probably are some good cyclists, but I can
    honestly say that I can't remember seeing one. I have
    absolutely nothing against them and I always give them
    plenty of space. This post wasn't to get into an argument
    about cycling standards, although we've got to take into
    consideration that there are many cyclists on the roads
    which don't follow the highway code.

  5. Quoted message said:

    "Peter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    No, they just don't know how to use the roads because
    they've never had any training/tests.

    As opposed to numpties who think they know all about
    driving even though they've never been outside the town
    they live in?

    clive

    I'm a troll not a numpty ;-)

    I've had driving lessons and have passed a driving test,
    which is more than many cyclists. Anyway, cyclists wouldn't
    normal cycle out of their own town anyway (it's a long way
    to cycle).

    To be honest I don't think my 'town only' experience is
    relavant because it's in towns where cyclists are the
    problem. Non-motorised cyclists don't use the motorways etc.

  6. Peter said:

    Roads were never this busy, as the roads got busier and
    faster they got more dangerous. That's a reason for the
    tests. A cyclist may not have a car but they are still
    riding in the same busy and fast environment.

    No, the reason for the test is not that the roads were
    "getting dangerous". A test is required because the driver
    is in charge of a potentially lethal piece of machinery. As
    the potential lethality increases, so does the standard
    required by the test.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, there probably are some good cyclists, but I can
    honestly say that I can't remember seeing one.

    It is extremely disturbing that you don't see them, because
    they are undoubtly sharing the road with you.

  7. Peter said:

    Roads were never this busy, as the roads got busier and
    faster they got more dangerous.

    I imagine the ABD Thought Police will be out to get you for
    even suggesting there may be a link between speed and
    danger... ;-/

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, there probably are some good cyclists, but I can
    honestly say that I can't remember seeing one.

    How many good motorists did you count on your last drive?
    How many bad ones? The bad ones are the exception rather
    than the rule and they're the ones that get noticed, same
    for cycles, and the ones that stick in your mind. Most good
    cyclists don't register because they don't cause any
    particular problems, same as good drivers. If a cyclist is
    trundling along in a well defined space on the road and you
    pass them, how can you tell they're good or bad when they're
    only in your frame of reference for a few seconds?

    Quoted message said:

    them and I always give them plenty of space. This post
    wasn't to get into an argument about cycling standards,
    although we've got to take into consideration that there
    are many cyclists on the roads which don't follow the
    highway code.

    Same goes for most forms of vehicles. For example, how many
    motorists can say hand on heart they've never broken a speed
    limit? (I certainly can't). Staying inside speed limits is
    required to follow the Highway Code, so don't pretend it's
    only cyclists that ever break it in large numbers.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  8. Peter said:


    Roads were never this busy, as the roads got busier and
    faster they got more dangerous. That's a reason for the
    tests. A cyclist may not have a car but they are still
    riding in the same busy and fast environment.


    I might be wrong, but the reason for the tests is because
    you are operating a motor vehicle which could be dangerous
    to others.

    Hence my remark about different categories. What I meant was
    that you stil have to go get more tests and training to
    operate a bus/coach or a large lorry.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Driving tests are for users of motor vehicles - and
    further there are different categories.

  9. Peter said:

    "Nathaniel Porter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    IIRC 20-ish % of car journeys are under a mile.[1] This
    causes alot of congestion and pollution. These journeys
    are often quicker by bike or foot. Additionally, cars are
    damaged by such short journeys.

    :-o that's terrible, I didn't know that. Something really
    :should be
    done about these short trips!

    How many posts have you made in uk.rec.cars.* along the
    lines of "I rarely do journeys of over 10 miles, why's my
    car buggered?" and "My mum never drives more than 200
    yards", and how many times have your posts said that your
    family have run into the ground every car they've had?
    You're a troll or astonishingly stupid. ISTR you're at
    Reading uni, so it might just be astonishingly stupid...

  10. Peter said:

    I've had driving lessons and have passed a driving test,
    which is more than many cyclists.

    But by no means all of them.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, cyclists wouldn't normal cycle out of
    their own town anyway (it's a long way to cycle).

    That just shows you don't know that much about cycling, or
    rural communities.

    Quoted message said:

    To be honest I don't think my 'town only' experience is
    relavant because it's in towns where cyclists are the
    problem.

    Which problem is this, exactly? The more people on bikes the
    more room there is for cars, buses, trucks etc. Certainly
    there are eejits on bikes but there are eejits in or on
    every other road vehicle.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  11. Peter said:


    I'm a troll not a numpty ;-)

    I've had driving lessons and have passed a driving test,
    which is more than many cyclists.

    Why should I have driving lessons or take a driving test to
    ride my bike? Have you had cycle training to drive?

    John B

  12. Peter said:


    Quoted message said:

    "Peter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    No, they just don't know how to use the roads because
    they've never had any training/tests.

    As opposed to numpties who think they know all about
    driving even though they've never been outside the town
    they live in?

    clive

    I'm a troll not a numpty ;-)

    I've had driving lessons and have passed a driving test,
    which is more than many cyclists. Anyway, cyclists
    wouldn't normal cycle out of their own town anyway (it's a
    long way to cycle).

    To be honest I don't think my 'town only' experience
    is relavant because it's in towns where cyclists are
    the problem. Non-motorised cyclists don't use the
    motorways etc.

    What's your definition of a long way to cycle? I cycle in
    two places that are very far apart (and don't cycle between
    them). Even so, I'd rather cycle out of town than in. Car
    drivers can regard cyclists as 'a problem' wherever they are
    - in town, out of town, on A roads, or rural lanes.

    Oh, I've passed a test too. Previously (and shortly will be
    again) drove anything from 20-30,000 miles a year (sometimes
    more). I've seen it from both sides of the fence, as it
    were, being a driver first, and a returnee to cycling
    second. There are occasions when both have a total lack of
    understanding of the limitations of the other. However, I
    see (as a driver) far more instances of bad driving around
    cyclists (even before I started cycling again) than I see
    bad cycling around drivers.

    I sometimes think as I'm pootling along the motorway that
    it'd be ace if I could cycle down one of them. There's quite
    a few that have some nice slight downhills with sweeping
    curves back and forth, and all that smooth tarmac and lack
    of junctions (and no cars/lorries) appeals. Which is odd,
    given I'm scared of fast downhills, but that's exactly what
    I want to do on a motorway stretch like that - cycle fast.

    --

    Velvet

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Peter said:

    than many cyclists. Anyway, cyclists wouldn't normal cycle
    out of their own town anyway (it's a long way to cycle).

    Bollocks.

    Quoted message said:

    To be honest I don't think my 'town only' experience
    is relavant because it's in towns where cyclists are
    the problem. Non-motorised cyclists don't use the
    motorways etc.

    Really? I was on the M42 yesterday, and I was cycling today.

    ian

  14. John Hearns said:
    Peter said:

    I've had driving lessons and have passed a driving test,
    which is more than many cyclists. Anyway, cyclists
    wouldn't normal cycle out of their own town anyway (it's a
    long way to cycle).

    People cycle round the world, fer goodness sake.

    A regular leisure run for many people in this group will
    be anything from 30 miles upwards to 100 miles. You would
    really, really be surprised how many people do this.

    Yeah, I'd have to agree. I don't cycle regularly
    (combination of laziness and dislike of both hills and [censored]
    driver attitudes local to
    me) but most of my rides have been at least 10 miles, and my
    last was a couple of miles short of 50 (and I wish I'd
    gone for a quick detour just so I *had* made the 50!).
    If I cycled regularly, I'd be looking at doing at least
    one 30-miler on a weekend (and hopefully that'll soon be
    the case, since I'll be getting the bike to *nice*
    cycling area on a regular basis again, yippee!) - and
    probably ramping that up as I got fitter, too.

    At some point I have a goal to get to 100 miles in a day.
    That's in the far future. I'm not a really big enthusiast,
    I'm unfit, overweight, and a scaredy-cat. I just happen to
    enjoy it when I'm out there. I get a LOT more enjoyment out
    of a 20+ mile ride than I do out of an under-10 mile ride -
    more than the ratio of the miles would suggest.

    I could get in a couple of 2-3 mile rides a week (tesco-ish
    and back for groceries) but to be honest it's less hassle to
    walk there and back with a rucksack (getting the bike out
    and down the stairs and panniered up etc is time-consuming,
    especially when it's kept at the other end of the flat for
    space reasons). I get fed up with tripping over it in the
    hall (very narrow). Very little enjoyment from cycling to
    tesco. Hence why it rarely gets done - the effort outweighs
    the reward.

    --

    Velvet

  15. "AndyMorris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Wild Wind said:

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 24 May 2004 12:08:31 -0700,
    [email hidden] (Peter) wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > They say that accidents are increasing because more
    > people are going onto two wheels.

    "they" may say that, but they are essentially wrong.
    The number of cyclist collisions per mile travelled
    drops as the number of cyclists increases. This is the
    experience everywhere, as far as I can tell.

    Eh? This doesn't make any sense to me. Do you have a
    reference, or can you explain why this might be so,
    since there are more cyclists on the road for other
    cyclists to collide with?

    Most collisions that cyclists experiance are with cars,
    usually caused by the driver not 'seeing' the cyclist.
    When there are more cyclists, drivers learn to see them.

    OK, I now understand. I thought Mr. Chapman was talking
    about cyclist-on-cyclist collisions, not motorist-on-cyclist
    collisions. The article that Mr. Raven kindly provided a
    link to doesn't talk about c-on-c collisions which I suspect
    would be on the up if more cyclists took to the road.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I think you'll find it's the cars that are bringing the
    roads to a standstill...

    That may be now, but I'm not entirely convinced that
    life would be much better if hordes of cyclists were to
    take to the road, given my experience doing the London
    to Brighton ride.

    An exceptional case, imagine that many people trying to
    get from London to Brighton by car in one day.

    I wasn't actually referring to the congestion aspect, even
    though there would be some of that. I was referring to the
    multiplier effect of more incompetent cyclists getting on to
    the roads, as I saw during the L2B ride. Right now, the
    numbers of cyclists are small enough for this not to be a
    problem to other road users, but I think things would change
    with a dramatic increase in numbers.

  16. Wild Wind said:

    OK, I now understand. I thought Mr. Chapman was talking
    about cyclist-on-cyclist collisions, not motorist-on-
    cyclist collisions. The article that Mr. Raven kindly
    provided a link to doesn't talk about c-on-c collisions
    which I suspect would be on the up if more cyclists took
    to the road.

    Cyclist v cyclist collisions are rare, and serious or fatal
    ones rarer still, so they are unlikely to show up in the
    stats to any extent.

    Quoted message said:

    there would be some of that. I was referring to the
    multiplier effect of more incompetent cyclists getting on
    to the roads, as I saw during the L2B ride. Right now, the
    numbers of cyclists are small enough for this not to be a
    problem to other road users, but I think things would
    change with a dramatic increase in numbers.

    Once again: imagine how much road space those cyclists would
    have taken up at an average of 1.2 per car.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after
    posting. chapmancentral.co.ukchapmancentral.co.uk

    Victory is ours! Down with Eric the Half A Brain!

  17. "Peter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Nathaniel Porter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'll bite...

    "Peter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I just saw a road rage thing on TV, '2 v 4'. It was
    basically about the road rage between cyclists. They
    say that accidents are increasing because more people
    are going onto two wheels. If the government want us
    to go onto two wheels then there could be a lot of
    accidents.

    Because of stupid and/or inconsiderate road use. If
    people engaged their brains these accidents wouldn't
    happen.

    Quoted message said:

    Many cyclists are complete idiots on the road and don't
    understand the highway code at all.

    Ditto motorists - and probably to a greater extent

    Cyclists tend to be worse, many of them have never done
    any form of test or training.

    Whereas many (most?) motorists have forgotten all that
    training.

    I would disagree that cyclists are worse - but I don't think
    it matters. The problem is that many road users (of all
    flavours) are idiots.

    Quoted message said:

    I do agree that motorist are bad, but cyclists don't make
    it easy for us.

    Reasonable, reponsible and couteous cyclists make things as
    easy as possible without compromising their safety.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If the roads are full of cyclists then how will
    pollution be effected? When I see a cyclist I quite
    often slow up and then acclerate past them when it's
    safe. When a whole stream of cars do this then the
    pollution is going to increase a lot.

    Learn accelerator sense. Slowing gently and accelerating
    gently won't


    make

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that much difference to maintaining a steady speed.

    Accelerate gently to overtake! When there's going to be
    something comming the other way in the near future you've
    got to accelerate fairly quick.

    In the case of a cyclist, you can't go too fast because its
    dangerous.

    Only overtake in gaps which are big enough for you to allow
    you to do so safely.

    Quoted message said:

    If you don't then you'll get road rage from the person
    behind. By the time you've slowed down to the cyclists
    speed you'll already have the driver behind up your
    bumper anyway.

    Indeed. This is not the fault of cyclists, it is the fault
    of the idiot driving the car behind.

    You should consider which is more important - a human life
    or your cars rear bumper.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm not talking about overtaking dangerously, but I'm
    talking about taking oppourtunities.

    If you're having to accelerate fairly quick, the opportunity
    wasn't there.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Additionally using bikes (or walking) for short journeys
    would negate


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    effect (and some)

    Maybe you're right. It will negate it a lot, but it is
    causing this problem and I'm talking about extreme
    situations. ie. in the future when there maybe almost as
    many bikes as there are cars.

    I think even in an extreme situation there wouldn't be a
    problem. Maybe you would get stuck behind cyclists - but
    less so that you may get stuck behind other cars today.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Would cyclists just make the roads dangerous and bring
    them to a stand still?

    If people used bikes (or walked) for short journeys then
    congestion and pollution would be reduced.

    IIRC 20-ish % of car journeys are under a mile.[1] This
    causes alot of congestion and pollution. These journeys
    are often quicker by bike or


    foot.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Additionally, cars are damaged by such short journeys.

    :-o that's terrible, I didn't know that. Something really
    :should be
    done about these short trips!

    In hindsight I think the figures are wrong - but too high a
    %age of journeys are stupidly short.

    Will somebody please think of the oil lines!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    [1] I can't find a reference for this, so if anyone
    could provide one or correct me I'd be grateful.

  18. "Nick Finnigan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Nathaniel Porter" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Brimstone" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Nathaniel Porter wrote:

    > It seems to me that it would be better if we had a
    > rule of through traffic having priority over cross
    > traffic. That way turning traffic (cyclists and
    > motor vehicles) would have to give way to through
    > traffic (i.e. cyclists on a cycle path or
    > pedestrians on the footpath).
    >
    > I think it would be alot safer, and wouldn't cause
    > much inconvienience to anyone.

    The rule already exists, it's just that most car
    drivers are too


    arrogant

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to

    Quoted message said:

    observe it.

    Does it?

    I don't believe you are obliged to give way to
    pedestrians unless they


    are

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in the road [1] - and cyclists on segregated cycleways
    are usually (but


    not

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    always) made to give way (I don't think there is a
    general rule for


    this).

    Quoted message said:


    The general rule is to give way when crossing a (dashed)
    white line. Generally this is when turning onto or off a
    main (through) road.

    Which is true in the logical sense - but in legal or HC
    terms it isn't. People aren't bright enough to think about
    road markings in that manner. Now you understand it, I
    understand it [1]

    As I say, the HC only requires vehicles to give way only to
    people already in the road. It would be better IMHO if
    vehicles were also expected to give way to anyone wishing to
    cross the road.

    Quoted message said:

    Cycle paths along side roads usually have dashed white
    lines across them at junctions, meaning the cyclists give
    way; sometimes there are several white lines across the
    sideroad.

    Again, this is silly IMHO. Surely more time is saved by
    turning traffic giving way to through traffic, and not
    vice versa?

    [1] But I, as a road sign geek, would understand things
    like this. :-)

  19. On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:51:09 +0100 someone who may be "Wild Wind"
    <[email hidden]> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    I was referring to the multiplier effect of more
    incompetent cyclists getting on to the roads, as I saw
    during the L2B ride.

    These are largely people who cycle irregularly, perhaps once
    a year. If they were to become regular cyclists they would
    probably be a danger (mostly to themselves) for a while,
    before gaining the experience to cycle more safely.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
    F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK
    government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  20. John Hearns <[email hidden]>typed

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:46:13 -0700, Peter wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I've had driving lessons and have passed a driving test,
    which is more than many cyclists. Anyway, cyclists
    wouldn't normal cycle out of their own town anyway (it's
    a long way to cycle).


    People cycle round the world, fer goodness sake.

    Quoted message said:

    A regular leisure run for many people in this group will
    be anything from 30 miles upwards to 100 miles. You would
    really, really be surprised how many people do this.

    Quite. Half of me says 'PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS' The
    other half says 'I cycled an average of 10,000 miles per
    year for three years.' It certainly wasn't all in towns and
    the other DATC entrants came from all over the country.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email hidden] Edgware.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.