Are biking shoes really useful?

I wouldn't ride without them. Don't know about efficiency but nothing worse that coming downhill in a rocky road and loosing grip of your pedals! That was scary.
Latest bikes I have bought the pedals before I even decided on which bike, others have been going from the old one to the new one, my road bikes have had finer components than the MB. But always clipless since I remember maybe mostly for safety than efficiency.

Reactions: mpre53
I would be interested trying out real biking shoes, for real.

I mean I always wore whatever I could find in the drawers of my shoe container. Does it help with cycling or your feet feel comfier in it?

I always wear overalls when I go swimming. No wait, that would be stupid. Guys get with it, the right tools for the right job or you can be mediocre and I am fine with that but it's not for me.

I would be interested trying out real biking shoes, for real.

I mean I always wore whatever I could find in the drawers of my shoe container. Does it help with cycling or your feet feel comfier in it?

If you're just gonna pootle around the block it doesn't matter much. Particularly if you use those pedals with thick rubber blocks on each side of the pedal axle.
But if you use pedals with a more aggressive sole interface, and pedal harder, then a stiffer sole does make a difference.
The exact benefits WRT pedalling efficiency is somewhat debated for being clipped in, but I'll happily use them simply for the advantage of good foot positioning.

If you want to rider professionally or semi-professionally, then I suggest you purchase the entire cycling outfit, which would include biking shoes. But for those who only ride casually, or use their bikes for more practical uses, then they are not really necessary.

If you want to rider professionally or semi-professionally, then I suggest you purchase the entire cycling outfit, which would include biking shoes. But for those who only ride casually, or use their bikes for more practical uses, then they are not really necessary.

What do you mean by "riding professionally"?

Almost everyone I know who rides a road bike uses some kind of pedal retention, and the overwhelming majority of them use clipless pedals. A few of them are amateur racers. Most don't compete, but appreciate the advantages of having your feet positively affixed to the pedals. For errands, or commuting, regular shoes and flat pedals make sense. But if you're putting down miles, you owe it to yourself to at least try clipless pedals.

With flat pedals, my feet would slip too much on climbs, i've had to stop on a few climbs because of this when I first started cycling. I started using clipless pedals after my first 3 months of riding and it felt very natural and easy. My average pace went up 1-2 mph almost automatically after switching and I'm now one of the better hill climbers out of my riding groups. Go clipless if you plan on riding a lot, don't be afraid of falling clipped in!

Mine gives me more "traction" and I can pedal easier because it "sticks" to the pedals easier. Why not try it? If it's not for you, you can probably still use it during exercising, as the traction really helps keeping you in place. Ever slip while pedaling and slam your ankles to the pedals? Well, with the bike shoes, you won't have to have that problem anymore, because where your feet go, the pedals will follow.

At first I thought biking shoes would be useless and I rode with regular running shoes all the time. However, after a couple of months of hard training my feet became sore had to stop riding for a while. I bought good quality biking shoes and haven't had any problems after that. In addition it is important to wear right kind of socks to prevent injury in legs.

Honestly I thought the same thing til I tried them. I have several bikes so only one had the shoes. I hot on another bike then realized I couldn't go back. So much more comfortable and efficient. ;-)
I agree with you. It feels comfortable.

I'd say yes, but they are not too necessary, especially comparing them with the vital importance of helmets and other protective gear. They are really for more comfort and efficiency.