Are Carbon wheels worth it for me? Alternatives?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
I'm finally building up a 10 speed bike and want to put some faster wheels on it. Currently I race on Ksyrium Elites - which have served me well but obviously not a fast wheel.
Most of the faster guys in the two clubs I race with have Carbon Aero wheels.
Much as I begrudge having to pay for them(and I don't like the look of any of them) I'm thinking that may be the way I have to go.

Would they really give me much of a speed benefit? A friend with some Cosmic Carbons says he really notices the difference over his American Classic 420s(rear hub crapped out - as expected:eek: ).
Would I? They're his pride and joy so I dare not ask if I can borrow them for a ride.

What are some alternatives?

Your thoughts are appreciated:)

What kind of races do you do? crits, road races, time trials? In a crit the aerodynamics and weight of a wheel are minimized. I've raced several seasons on Elites in crits. One thing to remember, in crits there will be crashes. You want to go down riding carbon? All those guys who ride their "pride and joy" weep like babies when they go crack. Now in a TT, for sure there is a benefit of the aero and carbon, road races also. It all comes down to how YOU want to spend your money. Nice wheels are nice, but it still comes down to the engine in terms of performance.

I just built a set of wheels for a client like this:
DT 1.1 rims, 28/32H DT 240s hubs, Revolution spokes except drive side where I used Competitions, alloy nipples. 1490 grams the set under $700. and you can walk into a bike shop and get a spoke should the need arise.

Bigbananabike said:
I'm finally building up a 10 speed bike and want to put some faster wheels on it. Currently I race on Ksyrium Elites - which have served me well but obviously not a fast wheel.
Most of the faster guys in the two clubs I race with have Carbon Aero wheels.
Much as I begrudge having to pay for them(and I don't like the look of any of them) I'm thinking that may be the way I have to go.

Would they really give me much of a speed benefit? A friend with some Cosmic Carbons says he really notices the difference over his American Classic 420s(rear hub crapped out - as expected:eek: ).
Would I? They're his pride and joy so I dare not ask if I can borrow them for a ride.

What are some alternatives?

Your thoughts are appreciated:)