Are Clementines out of season, already?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Alan, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    (Those small, easy-to-peel, tasty oranges from the mandarin
    orange family.)

    My local grocery service has discontinued them.

    My memory says they should still be in season. Any ideas?

    Tags:

  2. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Alan, [email protected] wrote:

    > (Those small, easy-to-peel, tasty oranges from the
    > mandarin orange family.)
    >
    > My local grocery service has discontinued them.
    >
    > My memory says they should still be in season. Any ideas?

    They don't last much beyond mid February. If you do find
    some, they are lieky to be either dried out inside or mushy.
    Their season is shorter than navels, unfortunately, but it
    has lengthened a bit (Nov-Feb)since they are now being
    shipped from California as well as Spain. The first year I
    ever saw them in the stores, theyw ere there for about 2
    weeks before Christmas, then disappeared.

    gloria p

  3. Lallin

    Lallin Guest

    On 14-Mar-2004, Alan [email protected] wrote:

    > (Those small, easy-to-peel, tasty oranges from the
    > mandarin orange family.)
    >
    > My local grocery service has discontinued them.
    >
    > My memory says they should still be in season. Any ideas?

    St. Louis, MO area Sam's Clubs still had them Tuesday
    evening; that's the only place I've been this week selling
    product, except the local farmer's market, which had none.

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Alan, [email protected] wrote:

    > (Those small, easy-to-peel, tasty oranges from the
    > mandarin orange family.)
    >
    > My local grocery service has discontinued them.
    >
    > My memory says they should still be in season. Any ideas?

    Clementine season runs from late October to February. Sorry,
    but they are now out of season.

  5. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> (Those small, easy-to-peel, tasty oranges from the
    >> mandarin orange family.)
    >>
    >> My local grocery service has discontinued them.
    >>
    >> My memory says they should still be in season. Any ideas?

    ---> www.darlingclem.com

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  6. <Alan [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > (Those small, easy-to-peel, tasty oranges from the
    > mandarin orange family.)
    >
    > My local grocery service has discontinued them.
    >
    > My memory says they should still be in season. Any ideas?

    I saw some at my local supermarket today. $1.79/lb and they
    looked awful, I'd say the season's over.

    Jessica

  7. Tony P .

    Tony P . Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Alan, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > (Those small, easy-to-peel, tasty oranges from the
    > > mandarin orange family.)
    > >
    > > My local grocery service has discontinued them.
    > >
    > > My memory says they should still be in season. Any
    > > ideas?
    >
    > Clementine season runs from late October to February.
    > Sorry, but they are now out of season.

    For the past several weeks valencias have been 5 for $1.00,
    they're on the small side but very juicy and delicious.

  8. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Alan [email protected] wrote:

    > (Those small, easy-to-peel, tasty oranges from the
    > mandarin orange family.)
    >
    > My local grocery service has discontinued them.
    >
    > My memory says they should still be in season. Any ideas?

    About two weeks ago, a local (Long Island, New York)
    Pathmark got some clementine hybrids from Israel--they get
    them each year around this time. I guess the growing season
    runs a little later there. These babies are *much* better
    than the ones I've had from Spain--more aromatic, sweeter,
    and tastier.

    I ought to get another box.

    please mail OT responses only