Are clipless pedals dangerous in traffic?

hilljunkie

Sep 27, 2004
I haven't tried commuting in clipless pedals yet but I was thinking about it. So does anyone have some clipless pedals in heavy traffic experiences? I have a steel commuter bike for city rides and commutes - something no one would steal - and a good road bike for training rides. Lately I was thinking of using the fast bike for the commute but was wondering about safety issues with the clipless pedals.

If you don't clip out they will be.

hilljunkie said:
I haven't tried commuting in clipless pedals yet but I was thinking about it. So does anyone have some clipless pedals in heavy traffic experiences? I have a steel commuter bike for city rides and commutes - something no one would steal - and a good road bike for training rides. Lately I was thinking of using the fast bike for the commute but was wondering about safety issues with the clipless pedals.

Not dangerous if you practice a bit. I wouldn't tell someone to go in heavy traffic if they'd never used clipless before. I do it a lot, and have never had any issues.

I have an issue with clipless and heavy traffic.

In very heavy, inner city traffic, I prefer to be on clips and straps that I can have basically undone, obviously allowing me to slip my foot out at any time.

I don't commute much at the moment, but when I was doing so in busy areas, I much prefered to be wearing jogging shoes with clips & straps.

hilljunkie said:
No problem....just takes practice getting in and out. I would also check some of the threads on this forum..... You'll get lots of feedback on which pedals are easier to get out of, get into, etc. I personally use Speedplays and love them...they are much easier than the old LOOKS I used to own.

531Aussie said:
I have an issue with clipless and heavy traffic.

In very heavy, inner city traffic, I prefer to be on clips and straps that I can have basically undone, obviously allowing me to slip my foot out at any time.

I don't commute much at the moment, but when I was doing so in busy areas, I much prefered to be wearing jogging shoes with clips & straps.

You have to learn how to track stand!! ;)

hilljunkie said:

maybe in the beginning it could be dangerous, Ive had a couple of ride buddies fall flat on thier faces as they came to a stop being unable to click out in time, im sorry to say i couldnt help laughing, but it has happend to me too. Now i dont even think about it. It becomes natural and automatic after a while.

practice in an empty lot first clicking in and out as much as you can, then do it on the trails before commuting.

opt for the mountainbike clipless system as you can walk easily in these shoes.

I have problems now if I DON'T have clipless. :) I've slipped off the pedals a couple of times.

But for clipless, not really a hazard, but practice FIRST. Also, set them loose, so you can get out reasonably easily. Learn to trackstand, but make sure you have enough space in front to inch forward if you're about to stack it.

Don't be afraid to unclip if you're unsure at any point, better to unclip early than too late.

I found when i first used cliplees pedals it was a little daunting for the first ride.
I adjusted them so i could release my pedal with ease at first then tightend them as I became used to them.
Clipless pedals are better as you don't slip and hurt your anotomy :)

Why the heck are they called "clipless" if you actually clip in to them? Wouldn't clipless be pedals without clips, like what you find on the average mountain bike?

leestevens said:
You have to learn how to track stand!! ;)
It's tricky to track stand when you're rolling past 50 cars at an intersection with about 60cm between the cars and the gutter ;)

Cheesy said:
I have problems now if I DON'T have clipless. :) I've slipped off the pedals a couple of times. .
you can't slip off pedals that have toe-straps on them, even if they a really loose.

Nah, just get used to them before you ride with them in traffic. I run mine at max tension (having them unlock at an unfortunate moment is not cool at all...) in traffic no probs. When I go off road though, then I dial down the tension :).

Lord Chambers said:
Why the heck are they called "clipless" if you actually clip in to them? Wouldn't clipless be pedals without clips, like what you find on the average mountain bike?
It's a confusing label, yes, but it's tied to the history of the pedal: think toe-clips, which modern clipless systems aim to replace. I agree; it's unfortunate the early proponents of the technology couldn't come up with a cool and less misleading buzz term.

The "standard" pedal you're referring to is generally called a platform pedal.

Clipless pedals, if you're comfortable with them and using them properly, are perfectly safe anywhere. In fact, most who've used both would argue that toe clips are more cumbersome (and thus dangerous) in situations like traffic, where getting in and out quickly can be an issue. One of the standard techniques for riding with toe-clips and straps, for instance, is to ride with the straps untensioned while in city situations; the rider would tighten them down on the fly upon hitting open road. Tightened down, the straps require dexterity and luck to exit.

With a little practice, though, even a newbie should be able to get in and out of a modern clipless system reflexively.

lokstah said:
One of the standard techniques for riding with toe-clips and straps, for instance, is to ride with the straps untensioned while in city situations;.
This is why they are NOT dangerous in city traffic. Such an option is not available with clipless; with clipless you're either all-in or all-out.

Keep in mind we're talking about busy traffic.

lokstah said:
Tightened down, the straps require dexterity and luck to exit.
Dexterity and luck to undo them? You must've had a bad experience with straps.

531Aussie said:
This is why they are NOT dangerous in city traffic. Such an option is not available with clipless; with clipless you're either all-in or all-out.

Dexterity and luck to undo them? You must've had a bad experience with straps.
If the straps are properly tightened down, you shouldn't be able to pop out of them on a whim. True, it's possible to use a toe-clip pedal as a platform pedal, either by running it upside down or keeping the clip loose; if that works for you when necessary, more power to ya. It means, of course, that you need to tighten down to get the full effect on open roads, though... and who hasn't had a bad experience trying to free their foot from a tight strap?

I've tried using the 2 sided pedals (platform one side, clip other) for the days when i'm not organised to get the change of shoes.. or when wanting to use the bike to pop out to get lunch and not having to change shoes to do that.. i'd say these are quite usefull but it gets irritating flipping them over when you DO want to clip in & cycle properly. I switched to using these when i had a touch of some sort of foot strain which i think might have been the result of wheeling across pedestrian junctions with most of my bodyweight stretching my right foot anchored to the pedal, (pushing the ground with the left)

I think another alternative is those plastic platforms that can be clipped into one side of a 2 sided pedal, they leave the clip face up generally. again i've tried this lately whilst resting a touch of achillies strain (wanting heal push on the injured foot. it's healed nicely at least :) )
have never found cliples a problem and you can always clip out approaching a junction.

heh ... I just saw the keywords 'dangerous' and 'traffic' and just had to post here. I've been knocked off by 2 cars in the past few weeks. ( the last one definitely my fault i'm afraid, the result of concentrating on persuing another cyclist )
i guess i could mention that i now have some sort of strain in my left calf, i wonder if it was twisted funnily on falling clipped in, but i think it's ok. Ultimately if you're going to collide with a car being clipped in or not isn't really that much of an issue :)

I would also suggest the SPD clipless system for commuting as it allows you to walk with normal shoes on. And I also have the 2 sided peddals on my commuter bike, spd and platform. It gives a lot of options and easily allows you to "clip" out if you get nervous. They aren't super expensive either.

Yes I second trackstands, also easier to do on a fixed gear. My commute in traffic is on spuds, fixed gear, no brakes, safety is in the heads up and paying attention. It seems to me there is no particular advantge or feeling of security by not being clipped in. You ride with your feet on the pedals so you want them to stay there, try riding with your feet off the pedals, you are much less stable. If you can't get out of them there is either something wrong with you or your pedals so don't use them, if you want to walk your bike wear sneakers.