Are clipless pedals dangerous in traffic?

531Aussie said:
sounds ideal
It is when you commute in foul weather when it is below zero, your brakes freeze up and get covered with icy slush and don't work at all, at least I can back pedal to stop also prevents lockups on ice, so it is actually very ideal, you should try it.

hilljunkie said:
I haven't tried commuting in clipless pedals yet but I was thinking about it. So does anyone have some clipless pedals in heavy traffic experiences? I have a steel commuter bike for city rides and commutes - something no one would steal - and a good road bike for training rides. Lately I was thinking of using the fast bike for the commute but was wondering about safety issues with the clipless pedals.

i depends on what you call traffic. riding along 2 lane roads - no problemo. riding on busy 4 lane roads - probably ok if you are secure in your clipless technique. riding in city traffic - no way. way too many bozos, agressive drivers, pedestrians, other bicyclists to worry about clipping in and out. you're just asking for trouble on busy city streets where visibility is limited and potholes are common. asess your own situation and comute route.

good luck

bob

RBS said:
i depends on what you call traffic. riding along 2 lane roads - no problemo. riding on busy 4 lane roads - probably ok if you are secure in your clipless technique. riding in city traffic - no way. way too many bozos, agressive drivers, pedestrians, other bicyclists to worry about clipping in and out. you're just asking for trouble on busy city streets where visibility is limited and potholes are common. asess your own situation and comute route.

good luck

bob
I just got my clipless pedals and I live in a fairly busy area in NJ (as if there isn't one here in NJ) and I have had no trouble getting out of them. Actually at first I had trouble getting INTO them at the start of my ride. I have ridden them for 4 days now and now have no difficulty getting into or out of them....none whatsoever. The difference in my riding is absoultely worth it to me. Clipping in and out is a cinch.

L'chaim,

Brian

With SPD's (I have never used another kind) You can adjust the amount of force needed to spring out of the peddles. Thus you can make it pretty easy to clip out or really hard, depending on how you like to cycle.

I'd say if you're used to clipping in and out and can anticipate when you might need to do so, and are able to do so without "wobbling" i.e, hold a straight line, particularly while clipping in, then it is safe. Personally in very heavy traffic I wouldn't do so as clipping in and out all the time is a bit of a pain. I would say don't ride in city traffic without having a good amount of practice with bike handling skills while riding clipless. I would also say, that riding in heavy traffic is dangerous period, what with cars that turn left and cut you off. Keep your brakes working well and your awareness up at all times.

-Bikeguy

Having wrecked and flipped enough mountain bikes and still instinctively unclipped (mostly), IMHO it all comes down to practice and comfort level. If you have to think about unclipping, you're not there yet but with practice it's achievable. The difference in milliseconds to unclip and put your foot down versus simply taking it off the platform is negligible IF you have enough experience and comfort level with clipless pedals.

I think the person asking the question has never ridden clipless pedals. I started out on platform pedals, went to toe clips and straps. Now I'm clipless. Second brand, as well (Shimano SPD to Time ATAC mountain pedals). I will never go back. Once you are used to them you can get your foot off the pedal as fast as the toe clips and straps and better because you twist out and are moving your leg out rather than pulling back. This could save you when you have to brace yourself on a quick unplanned emergency stop.

I am sold on clipless because pedaling is much more efficent with them. I have a better spin because I can pull up as well as push down. My feet stay lined up on the pedals and don't slip off. It feels a lot better being clipped on the pedals, sorta like being used to putting a seat belt on. Oh, that reminds me, on my bent which I don't ride any more every time I sat on the seat I thought it felt funny that I wasn't putting on a seat belt. I had clipless on my recumbant because it held my feet on the pedals where before I had clipless I sometimes banged my shin when my foot slipped off the pedal.

Everyone has their falling over stories from when they first started using clipless. It's second nature once you are used to them and I don't remember the last time I fell over now.

531Aussie said:
I have an issue with clipless and heavy traffic.

In very heavy, inner city traffic, I prefer to be on clips and straps that I can have basically undone, obviously allowing me to slip my foot out at any time.

I don't commute much at the moment, but when I was doing so in busy areas, I much prefered to be wearing jogging shoes with clips & straps.

In traffic clips and straps but.. how about those clip on platforms that you can buy and fitted with toeclips ? Then you can ride clipless out of town but commute in trainers and clips all with the same pedals . ( does work best with SPUD´s though )

lokstah said:
It's a confusing label, yes, but it's tied to the history of the pedal: think toe-clips, which modern clipless systems aim to replace. I agree; it's unfortunate the early proponents of the technology couldn't come up with a cool and less misleading buzz term.

The "standard" pedal you're referring to is generally called a platform pedal.

Clipless pedals, if you're comfortable with them and using them properly, are perfectly safe anywhere. In fact, most who've used both would argue that toe clips are more cumbersome (and thus dangerous) in situations like traffic, where getting in and out quickly can be an issue. One of the standard techniques for riding with toe-clips and straps, for instance, is to ride with the straps untensioned while in city situations; the rider would tighten them down on the fly upon hitting open road. Tightened down, the straps require dexterity and luck to exit.

With a little practice, though, even a newbie should be able to get in and out of a modern clipless system reflexively.
Agree, I've had more problems getting out of the old toeclip and straps, since the release is dependent on the shoe sole pattern and strap tension. Running shoes with numbs or cleats on the soles (ie Saucony) seemed to hang up all the time for me. I learned to pull my foot halfway out of the toeclip as I was rolling up to a stop.

The Look and Speedplay pedals on my newer bikes are faster and a lot more consistent in their release....a major improvement as far as I'm concerned.

I ride in heavy inner-city traffic with SPDs or SPD-SLs and couldn't possibly do without them! (I haven't ridden a bike with anything else for >13 years, though).

artemidorus said:
I ride in heavy inner-city traffic with SPDs or SPD-SLs and couldn't possibly do without them! (I haven't ridden a bike with anything else for >13 years, though).
you should try powergrip straps you can get your feet out quick but they hold your feet in when you ride, www.powergrip.com