are cold showers good for health

Mike Henley

Guest
simple question... is taking a cold shower, rather than a regular warm one, good for health...

Increases circulation to the skin. Shocking with alternating hot and cold is reported to increase
resistance to colds and flus precold season.

news:[email protected]...

Gymmy Bob wrote:

> Increases circulation to the skin. Shocking with alternating hot and cold is reported to increase
> resistance to colds and flus precold season.

Cold showers do not increase circulation to the skin. If they did, then cold water would make the
skin turn red. Hot water does that, because hot water dilates the blood vessels, which increases
blood circulation to the skin. Cold water constricts those blood vessels which reduces blood
circulation to the skin.

Alternate hot and cold shocks don't do anything useful. Shocking the body in general isn't useful
(with a very few exceptions). A dangerous practice in Scandinavia is sweating in a hot sauna
followed by jumping in a cold body of water. That's just asking for trouble, because it produces a
sudden spike in blood pressure, which could burst an aneurysm.

[email protected] (Mike Henley) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> simple question... is taking a cold shower, rather than a regular warm one, good for health...

The mental stress would be too great for me. I love to stand in a hot shower even though the
chlorine is percolating out into the breathing air. I would rather die than look forward to a cold
shower each day. There are those that can stand it and it might be healthy. I always remember Dr.
Jack Foster, the great marathoner, who hosed his legs down with ice water after every run to avoid
injuries. He learned this from raising horses on the farm. He ran into his 40's without missing a
day to injury. In fact, he even ran the day of his appendix surgery.

[email protected] (eddy eagle) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Mike Henley) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > simple question... is taking a cold shower, rather than a regular warm one, good for health...
>
> The mental stress would be too great for me. I love to stand in a hot shower even though the
> chlorine is percolating out into the breathing air. I would rather die than look forward to a cold
> shower each day. There are those that can stand it and it might be healthy. I always remember Dr.
> Jack Foster, the great marathoner, who hosed his legs down with ice water after every run to avoid
> injuries. He learned this from raising horses on the farm. He ran into his 40's without missing a
> day to injury. In fact, he even ran the day of his appendix surgery.

I don't believe a cold shower is good for you. I don't know anyone who looks forward to getting up
to have a cold shower in the mornings. I think you have to be a bit weird to enjoy freezing cold
showers at any time of the day.

"Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gymmy Bob wrote:
>
> > Increases circulation to the skin. Shocking with alternating hot and
cold is
> > reported to increase resistance to colds and flus precold season.
>
> Cold showers do not increase circulation to the skin. If they did, then cold water would make the
> skin turn red. Hot water does that, because hot water dilates the blood vessels, which increases
> blood circulation to the skin. Cold water constricts those blood vessels which reduces blood
> circulation to the skin.
>
> Alternate hot and cold shocks don't do anything useful. Shocking the body in general isn't useful
> (with a very few exceptions). A dangerous practice in Scandinavia is sweating in a hot sauna
> followed by jumping in a cold body of water. That's just asking for trouble, because it produces a
> sudden spike in blood pressure, which could burst an aneurysm.

Mmmmm, seems to be ok for the Scandinavians. Unless you have something showing them dropping like
flies from the practice. If not, you are a BS artist.

[email protected] (Stephanie) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (eddy eagle) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Mike Henley) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > simple question... is taking a cold shower, rather than a regular warm one, good for health...
> >
> > The mental stress would be too great for me. I love to stand in a hot shower even though the
> > chlorine is percolating out into the breathing air. I would rather die than look forward to a
> > cold shower each day. There are those that can stand it and it might be healthy. I always
> > remember Dr. Jack Foster, the great marathoner, who hosed his legs down with ice water after
> > every run to avoid injuries. He learned this from raising horses on the farm. He ran into his
> > 40's without missing a day to injury. In fact, he even ran the day of his appendix surgery.
>
> I don't believe a cold shower is good for you. I don't know anyone who looks forward to getting up
> to have a cold shower in the mornings. I think you have to be a bit weird to enjoy freezing cold
> showers at any time of the day.

Some people hate exercise, but few would deny that it's good for you. There are folks out there that
enjoy cold showers wherever they are. I read one study years ago that made a positive correlation
between health and whether the person THOUGHT they had a nutritious diet. The process of believing
they were doing the right thing contributed to health. So I plan to go right on enjoying my hot
showers as it feels healthy to me.

[email protected] (eddy eagle) wrote <snip>

> Some people hate exercise, but few would deny that it's good for you. There are folks out there
> that enjoy cold showers wherever they are. I read one study years ago that made a positive
> correlation between health and whether the person THOUGHT they had a nutritious diet. The process
> of believing they were doing the right thing contributed to health. So I plan to go right on
> enjoying my hot showers as it feels healthy to me.

Bravo. If it makes you feel healthier, and if that feeling actually *makes* you healthier, go for
it. Placebo effect or not, if it works, it works.

Me personally, I sometimes turn the shower to full cold after taking a standard fairly warm shower.
It's a little uncomfortable, but exhilarating nonetheless. It reminds me of my days in the service
when all we had in the field was cold shower water...nostalgia mixed with minor-league thrill
seeking? Perhaps...

Mark, MD

Only while you are in the shower. A cold shower does more long term health benefits.

> A Cold Shower would make me Very Unhappy, so that migh make me unhealthy.
>
> I take a VERY Hot Shower (this side of scalding) every morning & every evening, & I've never had
> the flu (except maybe that one time back in 1957) & haven't had a head cold in 15 years nor a
> chest cold in almost
> 10. Can't say hot showers are responsible though, but I do think they get blood circulating
> nicely And That's A Good Thing..

I don't like vegetables so they can't be good for you either.

"Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (eddy eagle) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Mike Henley) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > simple question... is taking a cold shower, rather than a regular warm one, good for health...
> >
> > The mental stress would be too great for me. I love to stand in a hot shower even though the
> > chlorine is percolating out into the breathing air. I would rather die than look forward to a
> > cold shower each day. There are those that can stand it and it might be healthy. I always
> > remember Dr. Jack Foster, the great marathoner, who hosed his legs down with ice water after
> > every run to avoid injuries. He learned this from raising horses on the farm. He ran into his
> > 40's without missing a day to injury. In fact, he even ran the day of his appendix surgery.
>
> I don't believe a cold shower is good for you. I don't know anyone who looks forward to getting up
> to have a cold shower in the mornings. I think you have to be a bit weird to enjoy freezing cold
> showers at any time of the day.

Gee.. I wonder why your skin doesn't freeze when you put cold water on it then?

mdd wrote:

> "Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Alternate hot and cold shocks don't do anything useful. Shocking the body in general isn't
> > useful (with a very few exceptions). A dangerous practice in Scandinavia is sweating in a hot
> > sauna followed by jumping in a cold body of water. That's just asking for trouble, because it
> > produces a sudden spike in blood pressure, which could burst an aneurysm.
>
> Mmmmm, seems to be ok for the Scandinavians. Unless you have something showing them dropping like
> flies from the practice. If not, you are a BS artist.

Judging by the following quotes, it appears you are uninformed.

Quoting from the American Heart Association:
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4653

Also, moving back and forth between cold water baths and saunas or hot tubs can raise blood
pressure. If you have high blood pressure, don't do this.

Quoting from the Finnish Sauna Society: http://www.sauna.fi/pages/traditi.htm

A very rapid change from the hot into the icecold can be too strenuous even to a healthy person and
is not recommended, it is better to let the pulse settle for a while before a dip in the water or
snow. People with heart problems should stay away from this kind of cooling off completely.

Quoting from this abstract on Medline: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retriev-
e&db=PubMed&list_uids=2736002&dopt=Abstract

The results demonstrated decreased total peripheral resistance (TPR) to the blood flow in response
to the heat of the sauna (C), with concurrent increase in cardiac oxygen demand and negligible
increase in the stroke work. Cold exposures (D) increased the TPR. Cold did not increase the cardiac
oxygen demand but increased the stroke work. The alternation of heat and cold (A) or cool (B)
presented the most intensive strain on the heart.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Gee.. I wonder why your skin doesn't freeze when you put cold water on it then?

Because cold water can't be below freezing temperature and thus can't freeze your skin.

However, cold water can certainly cause problems. Perhaps you've heard of "trench foot," however.
It's a problem that soldiers through the ages have been familiar with. It results from standing
long periods of time in cold water. Decreased circulation makes the foot susceptible to infection
and gangrene.

|"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

"Gymmy Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I don't like vegetables so they can't be good for you either.
>
> "Stephanie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (eddy eagle) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > [email protected] (Mike Henley) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > The mental stress would be too great for me. I love to stand in a hot shower even though the
> > > chlorine is percolating out into the breathing air. I would rather die than look forward to a
> > > cold shower each day. There are those that can stand it and it might be healthy. I always
> > > remember Dr. Jack Foster, the great marathoner, who hosed his legs down with ice water after
> > > every run to avoid injuries. He learned this from raising horses on the farm. He ran into his
> > > 40's without missing a day to injury. In fact, he even ran the day of his appendix surgery.
> >
> > I don't believe a cold shower is good for you. I don't know anyone who looks forward to getting
> > up to have a cold shower in the mornings. I think you have to be a bit weird to enjoy freezing
> > cold showers at any time of the day.

"I don't like vegetables so they can't be good for you either." Forgive me for being off topic a
bit, but vegetables are not always the most healthy thing for EVERYBODY. Native Alaskans and far
northern peoples often eat no vegetables at all and remain healthy even without taking vitamins. At
times they eat mostly fat. And to them, if it's wet enough to be water, it isn't a cold shower.

Point not made.

news:[email protected]...