Are cycling jerseys really better than athletic shirts?

ABG

Jul 7, 2006
I have noticed that cycling jerseys are usually $25 or more each - good luck getting one that cheap unless bought online - whereas athletic shirts, such as UnderArmors, are usually around $20. These "athletic shirts" are usually made out of breathable polyester, sometimes made stretchy with Lycra or a similar material added - the same stuff that cycling jerseys are made out of. Some of the athletic shirts are even tapered toward the waist so that they don't flap in the breeze. I see athletic shirts on the clearance and discount racks all the time. The only difference I see between cycling jerseys and athletic shirts is that cycling jerseys usually have zippers in front.

Old Navy sells moisture-wicking athletic shirts for $12, although the only bright, high-visibility ones are white and you can see through them :(. I bought a couple "Alpine" brand athletic shirts and one Reebok brand one at Sports Authority, all for about $13 each. They work great as far as I'm concerned. Is there any advantage to using cycling jerseys instead of athletic shirts? I have never bought a cycling jersey and I'm not interested in shelling out extra money for a cool design; however, visibility is important.

ABG said:
Is there any advantage to using cycling jerseys instead of athletic shirts? I have never bought a cycling jersey and I'm not interested in shelling out extra money for a cool design; however, visibility is important.
Pockets?

ABG said:
I have noticed that cycling jerseys are usually $25 or more each - good luck getting one that cheap unless bought online - whereas athletic shirts, such as UnderArmors, are usually around $20. These "athletic shirts" are usually made out of breathable polyester, sometimes made stretchy with Lycra or a similar material added - the same stuff that cycling jerseys are made out of. Some of the athletic shirts are even tapered toward the waist so that they don't flap in the breeze. I see athletic shirts on the clearance and discount racks all the time. The only difference I see between cycling jerseys and athletic shirts is that cycling jerseys usually have zippers in front.

Old Navy sells moisture-wicking athletic shirts for $12, although the only bright, high-visibility ones are white and you can see through them :(. I bought a couple "Alpine" brand athletic shirts and one Reebok brand one at Sports Authority, all for about $13 each. They work great as far as I'm concerned. Is there any advantage to using cycling jerseys instead of athletic shirts? I have never bought a cycling jersey and I'm not interested in shelling out extra money for a cool design; however, visibility is important.
I can't live w/o my jersey pockets b/c I'm usually stuffing them with all sorts of ****. If you can live w/o jersey pockets, then you can buy any moisture wicking shirt and you probably won't notice a difference.

I own a couple of cycling shirts,and their advantages are the zip front and rear pocket.However a rarely use them I prefere the thinner dry wicking adventure shirts availible,in summer i use the sleevles one's and in winter the sleeved one.
I just find my brand name logo covered cycling shirt to warm., must admit they look way cool.:)

I use a rear trunk bag, so I don't need pockets. Zippers I could see might be nice though when commuting, since the morning ride will typically be 15°F cooler than the afternoon ride.

Zippers, pockets, collars, reflective material, etc., all cost money. The function that they provide is what separates a jersey from a tshirt. If you don't need those functions, save your money.

ABG said:
I use a rear trunk bag, so I don't need pockets. Zippers I could see might be nice though when commuting, since the morning ride will typically be 15°F cooler than the afternoon ride.
How do you get snacks out of your trunk bag while you are riding? Like others have said, I could not live without the pockets, and the zipper and high collar are nice to have.

RickF said:
How do you get snacks out of your trunk bag while you are riding? Like others have said, I could not live without the pockets, and the zipper and high collar are nice to have.
Can't say that I've carried snacks. Usually I'll eat a granola bar or something before a hefty ride, and if I must, I'll stop at a convenience store if I'm on my own. I haven't done rides over 40 miles, but if I do long rides, I take a break. So I'd pull over for that. I can live without pockets. :)

As for a collar, while a zipper makes sense, I don't see the purpose of a high collar. For fashion?

The benefits of a decent cycling specific shirt are better fit, tighter fit, longer in back, and as others have mentioned zippers, pockets, etc.

The kind of riding a person does may not benefit from such features. For me, I need 'em.

I find soccer jerseys to be the best wicking jerseys, in recent times there are a lot of different material weaves on the market also.
The best wicking jersey I have is a counterfeit AC Milan jersey someone bought for me for $6 on a street corner in venezuela.

ABG said:

Old Navy and cycling should NEVER go together. I'm erasing that part from my memory.

There is a substantial difference between athletic apparel and cycling apparel. I've tried UA and other types, cycling apparel is just better. Not much more to say.

Plus, unless you can say, "We Must Protect This Road", why wear it?

(weak and sad attempt to be funny...)"We Must Protect This House!!" :D :)