Are cyclists alcoholics?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Cain, May 16, 2003.

  1. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    Are cyclists alcoholics?

    Cycling retailers seem to think so.

    After a recent purchase at "The Bicycle Doctor"*, I was given one of their keyrings. This is a laser
    cut piece of sheet steel which approximately says "bikedoc", where (as was pointed out to me by the
    guy behind the counter) the open end of the "c" serves as a bottle opener. "Wouldn't a spoke key be
    better?" I said. He looked at me like I was mental.

    Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
    keyring which
    - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.

    What's this bottle-opening obsession all about? Is it that cyclists are just plain thirstier than
    the average being in the street?

    Cheers,

    Tim.

    *Unabashed plug for "The Bicycle Doctor" follows:

    68-70 Dickenson Rd, Rusholme, Manchester, M14 5HF.

    0161 224 1303.

    http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/

    Mainly Trek & Marin. Good service & sound advice.

    - Highly recommended.

    ---

  2. In message <[email protected]>, Tim Cain
    <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> writes
    >Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle keyring
    >which - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.

    Is that what it is? I'm looking at one now - I thought it might be some gismo for doing something to
    spokes or something.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  3. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Tim Cain" <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are cyclists alcoholics?
    >
    > Cycling retailers seem to think so.
    >
    > After a recent purchase at "The Bicycle Doctor"*, I was given one of their keyrings. This is a
    > laser cut piece of sheet steel which approximately says "bikedoc", where (as was pointed out to me
    > by the guy behind the counter) the open end of the "c" serves as a bottle opener. "Wouldn't a
    > spoke key be better?" I said. He looked at me like I was mental.
    >
    > Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
    > keyring which
    > - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.
    >
    > What's this bottle-opening obsession all about? Is it that cyclists are just plain thirstier than
    > the average being in the street?

    Cheap bottle opener thing is a universal free gift and hence cheap to supply - and one you
    wouldn't buy.

    A spoke key is not so cheap because fewer people would want one - also useful to cyclists - you
    won't buy a spoke key from the shop if you get a free one, so they lose money.

    John

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
    > > keyring which
    > > - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.

    Mine is hanging on a nail next to the door to my sauna. It actually gets used every evening opening
    bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord :) Simon

  5. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    news:8862a1cc.03051[email protected]...
    > "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
    > > > keyring which
    > > > - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.
    >
    > Mine is hanging on a nail next to the door to my sauna. It actually gets used every evening
    > opening bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord :) Simon

    Not a bad lifestyle you've got there.

    Tim.

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Tim Cain" <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Mine is hanging on a nail next to the door to my sauna. It actually gets used every evening
    > > opening bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord :) Simon
    >
    > Not a bad lifestyle you've got there.

    Luckily I can afford to indulge a bit in Keighley's finest (as recently endorsed by Madonna)
    seeing as I rack up over 5000 miles a year in the saddle and burn about 200 000 calories in the
    process:) Simon

  7. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    > "Tim Cain" <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Mine is hanging on a nail next to the door to my sauna. It actually gets used every evening
    > > > opening bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord :) Simon
    > >
    > > Not a bad lifestyle you've got there.
    >
    > Luckily I can afford to indulge a bit in Keighley's finest (as recently endorsed by Madonna)
    > seeing as I rack up over 5000 miles a year in the saddle and burn about 200 000 calories in the
    > process:) Simon

    No luck involved mate. You work hard, so you can also play hard without turning into a big fat blob.

    "Balanced lifestyle" is just a pair o' words to all too many of your contemporaries.

    Tim.

    ---

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > In message <[email protected]>, Tim Cain
    > <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> writes
    > >Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle keyring
    > >which - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.
    >
    > Is that what it is? I'm looking at one now - I thought it might be some gismo for doing something
    > to spokes or something.

    It took me a while to work it out too, though I did test it by opening a bottle or five. Hic.

    Colin

  9. "Tim Cain" <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > After a recent purchase at "The Bicycle Doctor"*, I was given one of their keyrings. This is a
    > laser cut piece of sheet steel which approximately says "bikedoc", where (as was pointed out to me
    > by the guy behind the counter) the open end of the "c" serves as a bottle opener. "Wouldn't a
    > spoke key be better?" I said. He looked at me like I was mental.
    >
    > Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
    > keyring which
    > - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.

    Anyone else out there ever used the ill-fated Maillard Helicomatic hub system? The freewheel
    lockring tool incorporated a spoke key and yes, you've guessed it, a bottle opener....

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  10. John B

    John B Guest

    "David E. Belcher" wrote:

    > Anyone else out there ever used the ill-fated Maillard Helicomatic hub system? The freewheel
    > lockring tool incorporated a spoke key and yes, you've guessed it, a bottle opener....

    I still have one fitted to a Peugeot ladies sports bike, that has done several thousand miles
    including camping tours of Corsica and the Pyrenees.

    Biggest drawback is that it doesn't incorporate a corkscrew.

    John B

  11. "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > In message <[email protected]>, Tim Cain
    > > <[email protected]_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> writes
    > > >Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
    > > >keyring which - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.
    > >
    > > Is that what it is? I'm looking at one now - I thought it might be some gismo for doing
    > > something to spokes or something.
    >
    > It took me a while to work it out too, though I did test it by opening a bottle or five. Hic.
    >
    > Colin

    The Bristol CTC (Cyclists Topers Club) very nearly had some t-shirts made with the slogan "cycling
    splurs your sleech" but after another pint, we decided it just wasn't worth it. Or was it two?

    cheers

    Rich

  12. John B <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "David E. Belcher" wrote:
    >

    > > Anyone else out there ever used the ill-fated Maillard Helicomatic hub system? The freewheel
    > > lockring tool incorporated a spoke key and yes, you've guessed it, a bottle opener....
    >
    > I still have one fitted to a Peugeot ladies sports bike, that has done several thousand miles
    > including camping tours of Corsica and the Pyrenees.
    >
    > Biggest drawback is that it doesn't incorporate a corkscrew.

    You'll have to go to Campag for one of those. Though they do cost around 70 quid, from memory....

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 19 May 2003 23:57:43 +0100, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Bristol CTC (Cyclists Topers Club)

    You too? Reading CTC has been described as a drinking club with a cycling problem...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  14. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 19 May 2003 23:57:43 +0100, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The Bristol CTC (Cyclists Topers Club)
    >
    > You too? Reading CTC has been described as a drinking club with a cycling problem...

    mine's a pint. or two.

    Rich

  15. Martin

    Martin Guest

    > Is it that cyclists are just plain thirstier than the average being in the street?

    Absolutely,
    > I've never been refused at a pub, even in the lariest filthiest lycra, they know a market opening
    > when they see one. Even in the lounge bar of a very flash pub in the forest of Dean, we turned up
    > like drowned rats who had chosen to drown in a sewer, didn't bat an eyelid. Now substitute filthy
    > lycra for leather jacket and pedal for motor and that's another story!

  16. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > On Mon, 19 May 2003 23:57:43 +0100, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The Bristol CTC (Cyclists Topers Club)
    >
    > You too? Reading CTC has been described as a drinking club with a cycling problem...

    I think this originates with the running club(s) the Hash House Harriers. They have always referred
    to themselves as a drinking club with a running problem.

    Colin

  17. Iain

    Iain Guest

    . I remember receiving a post once from Guy Chapman about.... something-or-other.... (you can tell
    how important I thought it was) in the middle of which he said he reckoned that he and his mates
    were a drinking club with a cycling problem. Neat.

    On 20 May 2003 03:09:48 -0700, [email protected] (David E. Belcher) wrote:

    >John B <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> "David E. Belcher" wrote:
    >>

    >> > Anyone else out there ever used the ill-fated Maillard Helicomatic hub system? The freewheel
    >> > lockring tool incorporated a spoke key and yes, you've guessed it, a bottle opener....
    >>
    >> I still have one fitted to a Peugeot ladies sports bike, that has done several thousand miles
    >> including camping tours of Corsica and the Pyrenees.
    >>
    >> Biggest drawback is that it doesn't incorporate a corkscrew.
    >>

    >You'll have to go to Campag for one of those. Though they do cost around 70 quid, from memory....
    >
    >David E. Belcher
    >
    >Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  18. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Thu, 22 May 2003 07:14:01 +0100, Iain <FatBlokeOnBike @ mother-truckers.co.uk> wrote:

    >I remember receiving a post once from Guy Chapman about.... something-or-other.... (you can tell
    >how important I thought it was) in the middle of which he said he reckoned that he and his mates
    >were a drinking club with a cycling problem. Neat.

    That would be the one (or sumfink similar) from two days ago:
    >You too? Reading CTC has been described as a drinking club with a cycling problem...
    >
    >Guy

    Now, Iain, does your use of the word "Neat" refer to Guy's post, the quality of the cycling or the
    alcohol? It could be important.

    James

  19. Iain

    Iain Guest

    . Ah - message arrival/despatch clearly got out of sync. Happens a lot in many areas chez Iain.
    Spare a thought for the muddle when I go to 't toilet.....

    Iain.

    >On Thu, 22 May 2003 07:14:01 +0100, Iain <FatBlokeOnBike @ mother-truckers.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>I remember receiving a post once from Guy Chapman about.... something-or-other.... (you can tell
    >>how important I thought it was) in the middle of which he said he reckoned that he and his mates
    >>were a drinking club with a cycling problem. Neat.
    >
    >That would be the one (or sumfink similar) from two days ago:
    >>You too? Reading CTC has been described as a drinking club with a cycling problem...
    >>
    >>Guy
    >
    >Now, Iain, does your use of the word "Neat" refer to Guy's post, the quality of the cycling or the
    >alcohol? It could be important.
    >
    >James

  20. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest