Are cyclists alcoholics?

Tim Cain

Guest
Are cyclists alcoholics?

Cycling retailers seem to think so.

After a recent purchase at "The Bicycle Doctor"*, I was given one of their keyrings. This is a laser
cut piece of sheet steel which approximately says "bikedoc", where (as was pointed out to me by the
guy behind the counter) the open end of the "c" serves as a bottle opener. "Wouldn't a spoke key be
better?" I said. He looked at me like I was mental.

Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
keyring which
- you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.

What's this bottle-opening obsession all about? Is it that cyclists are just plain thirstier than
the average being in the street?

Cheers,

Tim.

*Unabashed plug for "The Bicycle Doctor" follows:

68-70 Dickenson Rd, Rusholme, Manchester, M14 5HF.

0161 224 1303.

http://www.bicycledoctor.co.uk/

Mainly Trek & Marin. Good service & sound advice.

- Highly recommended.

---

In message <[email protected]>, Tim Cain
<tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> writes
>Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle keyring
>which - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.

Is that what it is? I'm looking at one now - I thought it might be some gismo for doing something to
spokes or something.
--
Michael MacClancy

"Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Are cyclists alcoholics?
>
> Cycling retailers seem to think so.
>
> After a recent purchase at "The Bicycle Doctor"*, I was given one of their keyrings. This is a
> laser cut piece of sheet steel which approximately says "bikedoc", where (as was pointed out to me
> by the guy behind the counter) the open end of the "c" serves as a bottle opener. "Wouldn't a
> spoke key be better?" I said. He looked at me like I was mental.
>
> Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
> keyring which
> - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.
>
> What's this bottle-opening obsession all about? Is it that cyclists are just plain thirstier than
> the average being in the street?

Cheap bottle opener thing is a universal free gift and hence cheap to supply - and one you
wouldn't buy.

A spoke key is not so cheap because fewer people would want one - also useful to cyclists - you
won't buy a spoke key from the shop if you get a free one, so they lose money.

John

"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
> > keyring which
> > - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.

Mine is hanging on a nail next to the door to my sauna. It actually gets used every evening opening
bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord :) Simon

> "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > > Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
> > > keyring which
> > > - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.
>
> Mine is hanging on a nail next to the door to my sauna. It actually gets used every evening
> opening bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord :) Simon

Not a bad lifestyle you've got there.

Tim.

"Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > Mine is hanging on a nail next to the door to my sauna. It actually gets used every evening
> > opening bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord :) Simon
>
> Not a bad lifestyle you've got there.

Luckily I can afford to indulge a bit in Keighley's finest (as recently endorsed by Madonna)
seeing as I rack up over 5000 miles a year in the saddle and burn about 200 000 calories in the
process:) Simon

> "Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > > Mine is hanging on a nail next to the door to my sauna. It actually gets used every evening
> > > opening bottles of Timothy Taylor Landlord :) Simon
> >
> > Not a bad lifestyle you've got there.
>
> Luckily I can afford to indulge a bit in Keighley's finest (as recently endorsed by Madonna)
> seeing as I rack up over 5000 miles a year in the saddle and burn about 200 000 calories in the
> process:) Simon

No luck involved mate. You work hard, so you can also play hard without turning into a big fat blob.

"Balanced lifestyle" is just a pair o' words to all too many of your contemporaries.

Tim.

---

> In message <[email protected]>, Tim Cain
> <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> writes
> >Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle keyring
> >which - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.
>
> Is that what it is? I'm looking at one now - I thought it might be some gismo for doing something
> to spokes or something.

It took me a while to work it out too, though I did test it by opening a bottle or five. Hic.

Colin

"Tim Cain" <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> After a recent purchase at "The Bicycle Doctor"*, I was given one of their keyrings. This is a
> laser cut piece of sheet steel which approximately says "bikedoc", where (as was pointed out to me
> by the guy behind the counter) the open end of the "c" serves as a bottle opener. "Wouldn't a
> spoke key be better?" I said. He looked at me like I was mental.
>
> Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
> keyring which
> - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.

Anyone else out there ever used the ill-fated Maillard Helicomatic hub system? The freewheel
lockring tool incorporated a spoke key and yes, you've guessed it, a bottle opener....

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

"David E. Belcher" wrote:

> Anyone else out there ever used the ill-fated Maillard Helicomatic hub system? The freewheel
> lockring tool incorporated a spoke key and yes, you've guessed it, a bottle opener....

I still have one fitted to a Peugeot ladies sports bike, that has done several thousand miles
including camping tours of Corsica and the Pyrenees.

Biggest drawback is that it doesn't incorporate a corkscrew.

John B

> > In message <[email protected]>, Tim Cain
> > <tim_no1@you_know_what_to_cut_timcain.co.uk> writes
> > >Today I got a jiffy-bag of brake blocks from Wiggle. Right at the bottom I found a Wiggle
> > >keyring which - you've guessed it - is also a bottle opener.
> >
> > Is that what it is? I'm looking at one now - I thought it might be some gismo for doing
> > something to spokes or something.
>
> It took me a while to work it out too, though I did test it by opening a bottle or five. Hic.
>
> Colin

The Bristol CTC (Cyclists Topers Club) very nearly had some t-shirts made with the slogan "cycling
splurs your sleech" but after another pint, we decided it just wasn't worth it. Or was it two?

cheers

Rich

John B <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "David E. Belcher" wrote:
>

> > Anyone else out there ever used the ill-fated Maillard Helicomatic hub system? The freewheel
> > lockring tool incorporated a spoke key and yes, you've guessed it, a bottle opener....
>
> I still have one fitted to a Peugeot ladies sports bike, that has done several thousand miles
> including camping tours of Corsica and the Pyrenees.
>
> Biggest drawback is that it doesn't incorporate a corkscrew.

You'll have to go to Campag for one of those. Though they do cost around 70 quid, from memory....

On Mon, 19 May 2003 23:57:43 +0100, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The Bristol CTC (Cyclists Topers Club)

You too? Reading CTC has been described as a drinking club with a cycling problem...

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> Is it that cyclists are just plain thirstier than the average being in the street?

Absolutely,
> I've never been refused at a pub, even in the lariest filthiest lycra, they know a market opening
> when they see one. Even in the lounge bar of a very flash pub in the forest of Dean, we turned up
> like drowned rats who had chosen to drown in a sewer, didn't bat an eyelid. Now substitute filthy
> lycra for leather jacket and pedal for motor and that's another story!

> On Mon, 19 May 2003 23:57:43 +0100, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The Bristol CTC (Cyclists Topers Club)
>
> You too? Reading CTC has been described as a drinking club with a cycling problem...

I think this originates with the running club(s) the Hash House Harriers. They have always referred
to themselves as a drinking club with a running problem.

Colin

. I remember receiving a post once from Guy Chapman about.... something-or-other.... (you can tell
how important I thought it was) in the middle of which he said he reckoned that he and his mates
were a drinking club with a cycling problem. Neat.

On Thu, 22 May 2003 07:14:01 +0100, Iain <FatBlokeOnBike @ mother-truckers.co.uk> wrote:

>I remember receiving a post once from Guy Chapman about.... something-or-other.... (you can tell
>how important I thought it was) in the middle of which he said he reckoned that he and his mates
>were a drinking club with a cycling problem. Neat.

That would be the one (or sumfink similar) from two days ago:
>You too? Reading CTC has been described as a drinking club with a cycling problem...
>
>Guy

Now, Iain, does your use of the word "Neat" refer to Guy's post, the quality of the cycling or the
alcohol? It could be important.

James

. Ah - message arrival/despatch clearly got out of sync. Happens a lot in many areas chez Iain.
Spare a thought for the muddle when I go to 't toilet.....

Iain.