Are Cyclists Legitmate Targets?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Guest

So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    shower when i get in.

I start up my 2nd incline which isnt too steep but it is a slow one when this flatbed truck comes
    towards me on the road. Now from here on in im not sure EXACTLY what happened but the next thing i
    remember is a GLASS bottle smashing on my chest and shards of glass hitting my throat. I stopped in
    a panic (but was shocked so didnt turn around to see wtf had happened) and checked to make sure I
    wasnt bleeding (i wasnt - VERY lucky) and continued the remainder of my uneventful journey home.

Two things could be the cause here.

1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and hit
    me (ihope this is the case) or *shudder*
    2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    unfortunately.

Now this could have been a lot worse, i was VERY lucky (got away with a small "shave" cut on my
    neck), if the glass had shattered any other way I could be in hospital right now.

Anyone here suffered anything like this? It shook me up but hasnt put me off my commute.

Lee (battered and bruised)

Tags:

2. Pk

Pk Guest

Lee wrote:
    > So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    > shower when i get in.
    >
    >
    snip

> Two things could be the cause here.
    >
    > 1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and hit me (i hope this is the
    > case) or *shudder*
    > 2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    > unfortunately.

3) some ignorant tw*t threw and empty bottle out of the window to get rid of
    it. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

pk

3. Lee

Lee Guest

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>
    > 3) some ignorant tw*t threw and empty bottle out of the window to get rid
    of
    > it. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    >
    > pk
    >
    >

Possibly, it was timed perfectly though and if it were plastic id be inclined to agree but this
    seemed like a perfect "bombing run" - maybe im just paranoid!

4. Teknohippy

Teknohippy Guest

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:49:22 +0100, "Lee"
    <[email protected]com> wrote:

>So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    >shower when i get in.
    >
    >I start up my 2nd incline which isnt too steep but it is a slow one when this flatbed truck comes
    >towards me on the road. Now from here on in im not sure EXACTLY what happened but the next thing i
    >remember is a GLASS bottle smashing on my chest and shards of glass hitting my throat. I stopped in
    >a panic (but was shocked so didnt turn around to see wtf had happened) and checked to make sure I
    >wasnt bleeding (i wasnt - VERY lucky) and continued the remainder of my uneventful journey home.
    >
    >Two things could be the cause here.
    >
    >1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and hit
    > me (ihope this is the case) or *shudder*
    >2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    > unfortunately.
    >
    >Now this could have been a lot worse, i was VERY lucky (got away with a small "shave" cut on my
    >neck), if the glass had shattered any other way I could be in hospital right now.
    >
    >Anyone here suffered anything like this? It shook me up but hasnt put me off my commute.
    >
    >Lee (battered and bruised)
    >
    Jeez! What kind of glass bottle was it, your average glass bottle is quite tough I bet that hurt
    lots if it hit you hard enough to break.

I

--
    Iain Norman | teknohippy.com

5. "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and
    hit
    > me (ihope this is the case) or *shudder*
    > 2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    > unfortunately. Lee (battered and bruised)

More than likely option one mate, what probably happened is a bottle jammed in between the tyres of
    the double wheels and worked it self free just as you are passing. I would find it difficult to
    believe that the driver threw it at you, if it were a white van I would think otherwise, but not a
    truck driver, they are trained to a higher level for the roads and have much more to lose.

Must've been frightening.!

6. Lee

Lee Guest

"<-- Wide Load --> @blueyonder.co.uk>" <apsw07048<nospam> wrote in message
    >
    > "Lee"
    <[email protected]com>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > 1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and
    > hit
    > > me (ihope this is the case) or *shudder*
    > > 2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    > > unfortunately. Lee (battered and bruised)
    >
    > More than likely option one mate, what probably happened is a bottle
    jammed
    > in between the tyres of the double wheels and worked it self free just as you are passing. I would
    > find it difficult to believe that the driver
    threw
    > it at you, if it were a white van I would think otherwise, but not a
    truck
    > driver, they are trained to a higher level for the roads and have much
    more
    > to lose.
    >
    > Must've been frightening.!
    >
    >

Yeah i hope it was - dont want to lose my faith in human nature!

It wasnt really frightening - i didnt see it coming - if i saw it comin at me i wouldve cacked my
    pants! I was more shocked once it had hit me and i realised what had happened!

7. MSeries

MSeries New Member

I have has a half empty PLASTIC beaker of beer thrown at me in Elland before by some pedestrians. Stupid twunts missed.

8. Lee

Lee Guest

"teknohippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> >
    > Jeez! What kind of glass bottle was it, your average glass bottle is quite tough I bet that hurt
    > lots if it hit you hard enough to break.
    >
    > I
    >
    > --
    > Iain Norman | teknohippy.com

I have absolutely no idea - all i can remember seeing was the bottom "rim" on the floor next to me -
    it hit my ribs and smashed straight away so it was either weakened or i have a hard chest!

It did hurt but i wasnt thinking about my chest, i was worried that my throart had been cut and i
    would bleed to death! Seriously, that thought did cross my mind, then i just started peddling till i
    got home (only 5-10 mins away!)

9. Tony W

Tony W Guest

"Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    > So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    > shower when i get in.
    >
    > I start up my 2nd incline which isnt too steep but it is a slow one when this flatbed truck comes
    > towards me on the road. Now from here on in im
    not
    > sure EXACTLY what happened but the next thing i remember is a GLASS bottle smashing on my chest
    > and shards of glass hitting my throat. I stopped in
    a
    > panic (but was shocked so didnt turn around to see wtf had happened) and checked to make sure I
    > wasnt bleeding (i wasnt - VERY lucky) and continued the remainder of my uneventful journey home.

Glad to hear you are OK. Bet the pants needed a good wash though :~(

The fact that the bottle smashed on your chest may be significant. Bottles are pretty strong so to
    smash it would need to be:

1. damaged
    2. travelling fast or
    3. have hit a very hard chest (thank you Mr Schwarzenegger).

Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.

Seriously scary though.

T

10. Lee

Lee Guest

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> The fact that the bottle smashed on your chest may be significant.
    Bottles
    > are pretty strong so to smash it would need to be:
    >
    > 1. damaged
    > 2. travelling fast or
    > 3. have hit a very hard chest (thank you Mr Schwarzenegger).
    >
    > Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.
    >
    > Seriously scary though.
    >
    > T
    >
    >

Id like to think the Schwarzenegger chest was the reason it broke ;-)

11. Teknohippy

Teknohippy Guest

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:08:18 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Glad to hear you are OK. Bet the pants needed a good wash though :~(
    >
    >The fact that the bottle smashed on your chest may be significant. Bottles are pretty strong so to
    >smash it would need to be:
    >
    >1. damaged
    >2. travelling fast or
    >3. have hit a very hard chest (thank you Mr Schwarzenegger).
    >
    >Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.
    >
    >Seriously scary though.
    >
    >T

My line of thought as well. I reckon damaged is the most likely option.

--
    Iain Norman | http://teknohippy.com

12. Tony W

Tony W Guest

> >
    > > Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.
    > >
    > > Seriously scary though.
    > >
    > > T
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Id like to think the Schwarzenegger chest was the reason it broke ;-)

If it is no-one is going to argue with you :~)

13. Lee

Lee Guest

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > "Lee"
    <[email protected]com>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.
    > > >
    > > > Seriously scary though.
    > > >
    > > > T
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    > > Id like to think the Schwarzenegger chest was the reason it broke ;-)
    >
    >
    > If it is no-one is going to argue with you :~)
    >
    >

I wish!

14. Gary Sinnott

Gary Sinnott Guest

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:49:22 +0100, "Lee"
    <[email protected]com> wrote:

>So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    >shower when i get in.
    >
    >I start up my 2nd incline which isnt too steep but it is a slow one when this flatbed truck comes
    >towards me on the road. Now from here on in im not sure EXACTLY what happened but the next thing i
    >remember is a GLASS bottle smashing on my chest and shards of glass hitting my throat. I stopped in
    >a panic (but was shocked so didnt turn around to see wtf had happened) and checked to make sure I
    >wasnt bleeding (i wasnt - VERY lucky) and continued the remainder of my uneventful journey home.

...snip...

>Now this could have been a lot worse, i was VERY lucky (got away with a small "shave" cut on my
    >neck), if the glass had shattered any other way I could be in hospital right now.

...snip...

>Lee (battered and bruised)
    >

Christ! Whatever the cause, I hope you heal 100%. Could have been worse but it sounds nasty enough.

Gary

--------------------------------------------------
    Reply to gary <at> data <dot> mildenhall <dot> com
    --------------------------------------------------

15. Lee

Lee Guest

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Lee wrote:
    > > Anyone here suffered anything like this? It shook me up but hasnt put
    me
    > > off my commute.
    >
    >
    > I have has a half empty PLASTIC beaker of beer thrown at me in Elland before by some pedestrians.
    > Stupid twunts missed.
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > >--------------------------<
    > Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

Probably pissed (must be if throwing beer away)

:)

16. Tony W

Tony W Guest

>
    > >
    > > I have has a half empty PLASTIC beaker of beer thrown at me in Elland before by some
    > > pedestrians. Stupid twunts missed.

> Probably pissed (must be if throwing beer away)

Probably Leeds United fans. Nuff said.

17. Lee

Lee Guest

"Gary Sinnott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>
    > Christ! Whatever the cause, I hope you heal 100%. Could have been worse but it sounds
    > nasty enough.
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > --------------------------------------------------
    > Reply to gary <at> data <dot> mildenhall <dot> com
    > --------------------------------------------------

Yeah, i wasnt really injured, just a small nick on the neck.

Wasnt the nicest thing that ever happened to me but ill treat it as a freak incident!

18. "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    >
    >
    > Wasnt the nicest thing that ever happened to me but ill treat it as a
    freak
    > incident!
    >
    given the type of vehicle, terrain and "missile" it does seem like a potential *accident* - it would
    not suprise me if the trucks *load* was *glass bottles* en-route to a recycling facility (which
    would have been rattling together anyway - it does not matter if they are smashed in the truck as
    that is what will happen to them at recycling!) - one bounced out and you were just unlucky.

IME most incidents where a missile is thrown at a cyclist are by a *passenger* in a vehicle with
    more than one occupant rather than the driver. Surely it is fairly difficult to keep control of a
    motor vehicle *and* pelt *moving* targets at the same time!

I suppose the moral of this is to give trucks with easily "dispersed" loads a wide berth..

Alex

19. Dene Wilby

Dene Wilby Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    > "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > >
    > > > I have has a half empty PLASTIC beaker of beer thrown at me in Elland before by some
    > > > pedestrians. Stupid twunts missed.
    >
    > > Probably pissed (must be if throwing beer away)
    >
    >
    > Probably Leeds United fans. Nuff said.

'nowt wrong with Leeds Utd. fans. Anyway, her said Elland, not Elland Road. Different places

Dene

20. Lee

Lee Guest

"Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    !
    > >
    > given the type of vehicle, terrain and "missile" it does seem like a potential *accident* - it
    > would not suprise me if the trucks *load* was *glass bottles* en-route to a recycling facility
    > (which would have been rattling together anyway - it does not matter if they are smashed in the
    > truck as that is what will happen to them at recycling!) - one bounced out and you were just
    > unlucky.

Possibly although I seem to recall wood strapped to the back of the lorry - could be mistaken tho

>
    > IME most incidents where a missile is thrown at a cyclist are by a *passenger* in a vehicle with
    > more than one occupant rather than the
    driver.
    > Surely it is fairly difficult to keep control of a motor vehicle *and*
    pelt
    > *moving* targets at the same time!
    >

I think there were 2 people in there - but like I say I didnt really see much cos i wasnt looking!

> I suppose the moral of this is to give trucks with easily "dispersed"
    loads
    > a wide berth..
    >

On a 3 foot wide cycle path it aint easy!

> Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.