Are Cyclists Legitmate Targets?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    shower when i get in.

    I start up my 2nd incline which isnt too steep but it is a slow one when this flatbed truck comes
    towards me on the road. Now from here on in im not sure EXACTLY what happened but the next thing i
    remember is a GLASS bottle smashing on my chest and shards of glass hitting my throat. I stopped in
    a panic (but was shocked so didnt turn around to see wtf had happened) and checked to make sure I
    wasnt bleeding (i wasnt - VERY lucky) and continued the remainder of my uneventful journey home.

    Two things could be the cause here.

    1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and hit
    me (ihope this is the case) or *shudder*
    2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    unfortunately.

    Now this could have been a lot worse, i was VERY lucky (got away with a small "shave" cut on my
    neck), if the glass had shattered any other way I could be in hospital right now.

    Anyone here suffered anything like this? It shook me up but hasnt put me off my commute.

    Lee (battered and bruised)

    Tags:

  2. Pk

    Pk Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    > shower when i get in.

    snip

    > Two things could be the cause here.
    >
    > 1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and hit me (i hope this is the
    > case) or *shudder*
    > 2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    > unfortunately.

    3) some ignorant tw*t threw and empty bottle out of the window to get rid of
    it. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

    pk

  3. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "PK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > 3) some ignorant tw*t threw and empty bottle out of the window to get rid
    of
    > it. You were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    >
    > pk

    Possibly, it was timed perfectly though and if it were plastic id be inclined to agree but this
    seemed like a perfect "bombing run" - maybe im just paranoid!

  4. Teknohippy

    Teknohippy Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:49:22 +0100, "Lee"
    <[email protected]com> wrote:

    >So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    >shower when i get in.
    >
    >I start up my 2nd incline which isnt too steep but it is a slow one when this flatbed truck comes
    >towards me on the road. Now from here on in im not sure EXACTLY what happened but the next thing i
    >remember is a GLASS bottle smashing on my chest and shards of glass hitting my throat. I stopped in
    >a panic (but was shocked so didnt turn around to see wtf had happened) and checked to make sure I
    >wasnt bleeding (i wasnt - VERY lucky) and continued the remainder of my uneventful journey home.
    >
    >Two things could be the cause here.
    >
    >1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and hit
    > me (ihope this is the case) or *shudder*
    >2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    > unfortunately.
    >
    >Now this could have been a lot worse, i was VERY lucky (got away with a small "shave" cut on my
    >neck), if the glass had shattered any other way I could be in hospital right now.
    >
    >Anyone here suffered anything like this? It shook me up but hasnt put me off my commute.
    >
    >Lee (battered and bruised)

    Jeez! What kind of glass bottle was it, your average glass bottle is quite tough I bet that hurt
    lots if it hit you hard enough to break.

    Iain Norman | teknohippy.com

  5. "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and
    hit
    > me (ihope this is the case) or *shudder*
    > 2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    > unfortunately. Lee (battered and bruised)

    More than likely option one mate, what probably happened is a bottle jammed in between the tyres of
    the double wheels and worked it self free just as you are passing. I would find it difficult to
    believe that the driver threw it at you, if it were a white van I would think otherwise, but not a
    truck driver, they are trained to a higher level for the roads and have much more to lose.

    Must've been frightening.!

  6. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "<-- Wide Load --> @blueyonder.co.uk>" <apsw07048<nospam> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Lee"
    <[email protected]com>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > 1) A bottle which was lodged in on the back of the truck came loose and
    > hit
    > > me (ihope this is the case) or *shudder*
    > > 2) Some complete *£&£ threw it out the window at me (which I am more inclined to believe
    > > unfortunately. Lee (battered and bruised)
    >
    > More than likely option one mate, what probably happened is a bottle
    jammed
    > in between the tyres of the double wheels and worked it self free just as you are passing. I would
    > find it difficult to believe that the driver
    threw
    > it at you, if it were a white van I would think otherwise, but not a
    truck
    > driver, they are trained to a higher level for the roads and have much
    more
    > to lose.
    >
    > Must've been frightening.!

    Yeah i hope it was - dont want to lose my faith in human nature!

    It wasnt really frightening - i didnt see it coming - if i saw it comin at me i wouldve cacked my
    pants! I was more shocked once it had hit me and i realised what had happened!

  7. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    I have has a half empty PLASTIC beaker of beer thrown at me in Elland before by some pedestrians. Stupid twunts missed.

  8. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "teknohippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Jeez! What kind of glass bottle was it, your average glass bottle is quite tough I bet that hurt
    > lots if it hit you hard enough to break.

    > Iain Norman | teknohippy.com

    I have absolutely no idea - all i can remember seeing was the bottom "rim" on the floor next to me -
    it hit my ribs and smashed straight away so it was either weakened or i have a hard chest!

    It did hurt but i wasnt thinking about my chest, i was worried that my throart had been cut and i
    would bleed to death! Seriously, that thought did cross my mind, then i just started peddling till i
    got home (only 5-10 mins away!)

  9. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    > shower when i get in.
    >
    > I start up my 2nd incline which isnt too steep but it is a slow one when this flatbed truck comes
    > towards me on the road. Now from here on in im
    not
    > sure EXACTLY what happened but the next thing i remember is a GLASS bottle smashing on my chest
    > and shards of glass hitting my throat. I stopped in
    > panic (but was shocked so didnt turn around to see wtf had happened) and checked to make sure I
    > wasnt bleeding (i wasnt - VERY lucky) and continued the remainder of my uneventful journey home.

    Glad to hear you are OK. Bet the pants needed a good wash though :~(

    The fact that the bottle smashed on your chest may be significant. Bottles are pretty strong so to
    smash it would need to be:

    1. damaged
    2. travelling fast or
    3. have hit a very hard chest (thank you Mr Schwarzenegger).

    Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.

    Seriously scary though.

  10. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The fact that the bottle smashed on your chest may be significant.
    Bottles
    > are pretty strong so to smash it would need to be:
    >
    > 1. damaged
    > 2. travelling fast or
    > 3. have hit a very hard chest (thank you Mr Schwarzenegger).
    >
    > Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.
    >
    > Seriously scary though.

    Id like to think the Schwarzenegger chest was the reason it broke ;-)

  11. Teknohippy

    Teknohippy Guest

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:08:18 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Glad to hear you are OK. Bet the pants needed a good wash though :~(
    >
    >The fact that the bottle smashed on your chest may be significant. Bottles are pretty strong so to
    >smash it would need to be:
    >
    >1. damaged
    >2. travelling fast or
    >3. have hit a very hard chest (thank you Mr Schwarzenegger).
    >
    >Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.
    >
    >Seriously scary though.

    My line of thought as well. I reckon damaged is the most likely option.

    --
    Iain Norman | http://teknohippy.com

  12. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.
    > >
    > > Seriously scary though.

    > Id like to think the Schwarzenegger chest was the reason it broke ;-)

    If it is no-one is going to argue with you :~)

  13. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Lee"
    <[email protected]com>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Damaged seems the most likely -- which reduces the chances of it being 'hostile'.
    > > >
    > > > Seriously scary though.

    > > Id like to think the Schwarzenegger chest was the reason it broke ;-)
    >

    > If it is no-one is going to argue with you :~)

    I wish!

  14. Gary Sinnott

    Gary Sinnott Guest

    <[email protected]com> wrote:

    >So, im cycling home on Monday evening in the rain down my normal commute thinkin bout a nice warm
    >shower when i get in.
    >
    >I start up my 2nd incline which isnt too steep but it is a slow one when this flatbed truck comes
    >towards me on the road. Now from here on in im not sure EXACTLY what happened but the next thing i
    >remember is a GLASS bottle smashing on my chest and shards of glass hitting my throat. I stopped in
    >a panic (but was shocked so didnt turn around to see wtf had happened) and checked to make sure I
    >wasnt bleeding (i wasnt - VERY lucky) and continued the remainder of my uneventful journey home.

    ...snip...

    >Now this could have been a lot worse, i was VERY lucky (got away with a small "shave" cut on my
    >neck), if the glass had shattered any other way I could be in hospital right now.

    ...snip...

    >Lee (battered and bruised)

    Christ! Whatever the cause, I hope you heal 100%. Could have been worse but it sounds nasty enough.

    Gary

  15. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Lee wrote:
    > > Anyone here suffered anything like this? It shook me up but hasnt put
    me
    > > off my commute.
    >

    > I have has a half empty PLASTIC beaker of beer thrown at me in Elland before by some pedestrians.
    > Stupid twunts missed.

    Probably pissed (must be if throwing beer away)

    :)

  16. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > I have has a half empty PLASTIC beaker of beer thrown at me in Elland before by some
    > > pedestrians. Stupid twunts missed.

    > Probably pissed (must be if throwing beer away)

    Probably Leeds United fans. Nuff said.

  17. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Gary Sinnott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Christ! Whatever the cause, I hope you heal 100%. Could have been worse but it sounds
    > nasty enough.
    >
    > Gary

    Yeah, i wasnt really injured, just a small nick on the neck.

    Wasnt the nicest thing that ever happened to me but ill treat it as a freak incident!

  18. "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Wasnt the nicest thing that ever happened to me but ill treat it as a
    freak
    > incident!

    given the type of vehicle, terrain and "missile" it does seem like a potential *accident* - it would
    not suprise me if the trucks *load* was *glass bottles* en-route to a recycling facility (which
    would have been rattling together anyway - it does not matter if they are smashed in the truck as
    that is what will happen to them at recycling!) - one bounced out and you were just unlucky.

    IME most incidents where a missile is thrown at a cyclist are by a *passenger* in a vehicle with
    more than one occupant rather than the driver. Surely it is fairly difficult to keep control of a
    motor vehicle *and* pelt *moving* targets at the same time!

    I suppose the moral of this is to give trucks with easily "dispersed" loads a wide berth..

    Alex

  19. Dene Wilby

    Dene Wilby Guest

    > "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > > I have has a half empty PLASTIC beaker of beer thrown at me in Elland before by some
    > > > pedestrians. Stupid twunts missed.
    >
    > > Probably pissed (must be if throwing beer away)
    >

    > Probably Leeds United fans. Nuff said.

    'nowt wrong with Leeds Utd. fans. Anyway, her said Elland, not Elland Road. Different places

    Dene

  20. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    !

    > given the type of vehicle, terrain and "missile" it does seem like a potential *accident* - it
    > would not suprise me if the trucks *load* was *glass bottles* en-route to a recycling facility
    > (which would have been rattling together anyway - it does not matter if they are smashed in the
    > truck as that is what will happen to them at recycling!) - one bounced out and you were just
    > unlucky.

    Possibly although I seem to recall wood strapped to the back of the lorry - could be mistaken tho

    > IME most incidents where a missile is thrown at a cyclist are by a *passenger* in a vehicle with
    > more than one occupant rather than the
    driver.
    > Surely it is fairly difficult to keep control of a motor vehicle *and*
    pelt
    > *moving* targets at the same time!

    I think there were 2 people in there - but like I say I didnt really see much cos i wasnt looking!

    > I suppose the moral of this is to give trucks with easily "dispersed"
    loads
    > a wide berth..

    On a 3 foot wide cycle path it aint easy!