Are Cyclists Smarter Than Others?

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
I was just thinking.......
How come we have all these intellectual debates and political arguments while on other soapboxes, the sportsmen can hardly string a sentence together?
I mean, you get stuff like, "Yo, man!, just dig that Schwarzennegger movie!"
Most of the forum members here seem to be generally well-educated which is in contrast to what George Galloway found in the Big Brother House where he lamented nobody seemed to have any idea about politics or the surrounding world.
So, are we cyclists smarter than other sportsmen (as opposed to say footballers) and why would that be so?

Carrera said:
How come we have all these intellectual debates and political arguments while on other soapboxes, the sportsmen can hardly string a sentence together?
Most of the forum members here seem to be generally well-educated which is in contrast to what George Galloway found in the Big Brother House where he lamented nobody seemed to have any idea about politics or the surrounding world.
So, are we cyclists smarter than other sportsmen (as opposed to say footballers) and why would that be so?

Yes cyclist are more intelligent, but they do not post on forums since they are busy training and having sex.

Good question.

My old club had a fair cross section of people - some of them were very bright people (professional people such as barristers/solicitors, architect) to guys who were ordinary joes.
Depending on what mood you were in - if you wanted a chat you stuck with the barristers/solicitors etc.

If you wanted no conversation - you stuck with the ordinary joe.
It has to be said that the ordinary joes were fair better cyclists than the so-called professional classes.
Even if you wanted to have a chat - you couldn't cause they used blast along.

for myself this does seem curious, as i have been accused of having a head with a (far) greater than average proportion of bone on more than one occasion...
i know at times i have raced like this is true.

Carrera said:
ISo, are we cyclists smarter than other sportsmen (as opposed to say footballers) and why would that be so?

I imagine George Galloway would be happier on this forum than in the Big Brother House where he admitted he was stunned by how little the housemates knew about what was going on. And I kind of wonder what Madonna could have seen in that basketball dude as he didn't seem a bright spark. No offence.

Hypnospin said:
for myself this does seem curious, as i have been accused of having a head with a (far) greater than average proportion of bone on more than one occasion...
i know at times i have raced like this is true.

Carrera said:
You need to remember cycling is not a contact sport (Unless you’re a sprinter)
Footy players and that smash their heads into the ground and each other all day long(so do sprinters). Then they go and kill what brain cells they have left with alcohol. Even as a cyclist, you wear a helmet and would never intentionally bash your head against the ground, or another person (unless you’re a sprinter):p

Cycling is a tactical sport which requires a little bit of foresight and intelligence sure the fastest person wins, but attacking and bringing riders back into the pack, takes brains and strength.

Carrera said:
That might indeed be the case, if you didn't post on here.

this is why i seldom go elswhere,
it would at times just up the ante too much for me.

FredC said:
That might indeed be the case, if you didn't post on here.

jhuskey said:
Yes cyclist are more intelligent, but they do not post on forums since they are busy training and having sex.
personally i cant get up in the morning and go to work, having too much sex to do that....same goes for eating. havent had a decent meal for weeks. Sex Sex Sex...:(

MountainPro said:
personally i cant get up in the morning and go to work, having too much sex to do that....same goes for eating. havent had a decent meal for weeks. Sex Sex Sex...:(

I have found that by careful planning you can combine the two.

I view it as a bloody violent sport - more so than boxing. I'd sooner be punched to the canvas by Mike Tyson than dashed against cold hard concrete.
In fact, the other day I nearly had my chips. My brakes failed as I was speeding down a junction to the main road and I couldn't stop. I had to use my feet as well to try and stop and lost control. All of a sudden, I was all over the place.
I was spared hitting the floor but only just. I've seen pro-riders cry when it happens and, if it ever happens to me, I'll not relish it at all.

Iron Man said:
You need to remember cycling is not a contact sport (Unless you’re a sprinter)
Footy players and that smash their heads into the ground and each other all day long(so do sprinters). Then they go and kill what brain cells they have left with alcohol. Even as a cyclist, you wear a helmet and would never intentionally bash your head against the ground, or another person (unless you’re a sprinter):p

Cycling is a tactical sport which requires a little bit of foresight and intelligence sure the fastest person wins, but attacking and bringing riders back into the pack, takes brains and strength.

Carrera said:
I view it as a bloody violent sport - more so than boxing. I'd sooner be punched to the canvas by Mike Tyson than dashed against cold hard concrete.
In fact, the other day I nearly had my chips. My brakes failed as I was speeding down a junction to the main road and I couldn't stop. I had to use my feet as well to try and stop and lost control. All of a sudden, I was all over the place.
I was spared hitting the floor but only just. I've seen pro-riders cry when it happens and, if it ever happens to me, I'll not relish it at all.
Are we still talking about sex and eating, or are we back to talking about cycling?

Chance3290 said:
Are we still talking about sex and eating, or are we back to talking about cycling?

It must be sex I never eat off the floor.

Carrera said:
Doubt it, but some are apparently more "elitist". Not as bad as golf, but still...

Carrera said:
No you wouldn't. You would not be posting on here if Mike Tyson had put you to the canvas a few times.

Pedal like a butterfly, attack like a bee,
The fist can't hit what the eye can't see!

He'd have to catch me first. :)

wolfix said:
No you wouldn't. You would not be posting on here if Mike Tyson had put you to the canvas a few times.

Yes, we're much smarter than the other sportists. Which is why some of us pay, for instance, $4000.+ for bike frames that cost maybe $400. to build, and should sell for $750.

wolfix said:
Obvious brain injury hasn't stopped plenty of other posters.
:D