Are DA track hub bearings sealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sparetire

Hi,

I'm using a Dura Ace track hub as part of the fixed wheel I'm using for riding on the road.

A bit of grease seeps out from the locknuts and grit collects there as a result.

How well are the hubs sealed? Or are they sealed at all? Should I be using them on the road at all?

thanks, sc

sparetire wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a Dura Ace track hub as part of the fixed wheel I'm using for riding on the road.
>
> A bit of grease seeps out from the locknuts and grit collects there as a result.
>
> How well are the hubs sealed? Or are they sealed at all? Should I be using them on the
> road at all?
>
> thanks, sc

seals are included in the box (those tiny rings) As they are they are sealed as well as any 2$ hub
whichs lasts 25 years without lubrication. If you regrease them every year (with loads of grease)
you'll be fine.
--
Marten

"sparetire" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> How well are the hubs sealed? Or are they sealed at all? Should I be using them on the
> road at all?
>

As far as I know, most makers of track hubs still guarantee them for "fixed" road use; Campag have
ceased to do so, but are the exception rather than the rule.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:52:52 +0800, "sparetire" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using a Dura Ace track hub as part of the fixed wheel I'm using for riding on the road.
>
>A bit of grease seeps out from the locknuts and grit collects there as a result.
>
>How well are the hubs sealed? Or are they sealed at all? Should I be using them on the road at all?

Shimano's track hubs are traditional cup/cone/ball designs. The newest versions (model 7710 series)
have no seals of any kind. The earlier generation (model 7600) paid lip service to having a "sealed
mechanism", with small resin labyrinth seal rings surrounding the cones as noted by an earlier
poster to this thread. Unless you're regularly subjecting them to unusual conditions, either model
will work fine on your fixed-gear road bike with periodic service appropriate for the mileage and
environmental circumstances in which they're used.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles Miami,
Florida 305-273-4440
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Now in our twentieth year. Our catalogue of track equipment: seventh
year online

deb-<< As far as I know, most makers of track hubs still guarantee them for "fixed" road use; Campag
have ceased to do so, but are the exception rather than the rule.

For high flange only and they are gone,. The latest Campagnolo track cranks are low flange and I
doubt any track hub maker would warranty a hub that was damaged not riding on the track, altho I
think flange failure is the only mode that would happen..

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

On 01 Apr 2003 13:56:09 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>deb-<< As far as I know, most makers of track hubs still guarantee them for "fixed" road use;
>Campag have ceased to do so, but are the exception rather than the rule.
>
>For high flange only and they are gone,. The latest Campagnolo track cranks are low flange and I
>doubt any track hub maker would warranty a hub that was damaged not riding on the track, altho I
>think flange failure is the only mode that would happen..

Campagnolo's stylish high flange hubs are out of production, but there's still new ones to be had
(albeit freqently at markup rates at the distributor level that flirt with usury).

The end of warranty support for fixed-gear road use of Record Pista hubs didn't stop with the
discontinuance of the large flange model, either. The newest generation of Campy's track hubs (small
flange only) *also* includes a written caveat (in Italian, English, German, French, Spanish and
Dutch) that they are "for track use only".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles Miami,
Florida 305-273-4440
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Now in our twentieth year. Our catalogue of track equipment: seventh
year online

Status
Not open for further replies.