Are Disc Brakes Worth the $$$

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by BRScott, Jun 22, 2005.

1. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

Yes, disc brakes are one of the best things to come off a motor bike since suspension, but you need a good set. I have a friend who got a dodgy malvern star rock trail with tektro I-O. THEY ARE THE WORST BRAKES AND ROTORS DO NOT BUY he brings it to me to fix every week. he tried fixing himself, got oil on the pads and rotors, and now his bike is out of commission. Aside from that, once the rotors are bent, even a little, an annoying scratching constantly comes from them, because of rubbing. I have a set of hayes mx-3s, excellent stopping, no problems, hard to bend the rotors. Disc brakes are only good if you buy a good set, there is a point at which they surpass v-brakes.

2. ahodson4519

ahodson4519 New Member

My old ride had V Brakes. Bad Idea. I bought a Giant Yukon after I staked my old one when my brake pads just sliped on the rim when it rained when I was flying down the side of a hill. I then actually flew when I went over the edge and spent the next 4 months in hospital. Took another 3 years till I could ride a bike again. That track still scares me went it rains though.

3. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

So you were going to fast downhill in the wet? And its the brakes fault? Even with discs, ya gotta be careful when its wet. Discs are not a license to ride dangerously. Know your limits, and youre bikes, and you wont get hurt. I've ridden in the rain plenty of times, and as long as you are careful with how you brake youre not gonna get hurt.

4. dvddobson

dvddobson New Member

disc are better in every way. cable disc dont have the power of hydraulic. if yao say they are finnicky then you probably dont know haw to change a tire.... having the right tools is a plus.. i have been riding since 75.. bmx road and mtb i had the giant brand..mph..on my giant they were ok but i put avid juicy 5's on my khs fr 2000 they are easy to install great power and modulation.. hayes on my 06 stinky...if you want to go fast in all conditions you have to be able to make the turns.

5. theloops

theloops New Member

disks are awesome, but sometimes they can be dumb like when the brake pads are wearing out and stuff it gets kinda anoying! but they are worth it.

6. mudhugger

mudhugger New Member

I ride trails at least once a week. The hills are too far away, I want to push myself. I look for mud, and end up in it over my neck. For every five minutes of cycling I spend ten minutes of wiping mud from each side of my wheels and v-brakes.

I 'm soooooo looking forward to my new bike with discs plopping through the letterbox.

7. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

My feeling is that this applies to the whole bike :-< As you say, dodgy. Bike shop kmart stuff.

8. John90210

John90210 New Member

Yello I'm new to this forum.

Phhh disk brakes... what a waste of money.

[​IMG]

:D

Disk brakes are excellent, if you ride anywhere muddy they're a must have.

On a dry day with no mud it wouldn't matter whether you have disk brakes or not. There isn't a huge difference in their power between V-brakes, mechanical disks and hydraulics although hydraulic disk brakes will certainly make braking easier in any condition.

Mechanical disks have the same power as hydraulics you just need to set them up correctly and have strong enough hands and fingers to give them a good yank.

Another bonus of disks is that if you have a bike with painted rims they will not have the paint worn down over time.

9. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

WOT!?? You never pulled on the rim brakes and heard that horrid metal-on-metal grind? Boy! You must be either obsessed or rich! <G>.

10. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

Mind you, then they still work in the wet.......totally predictable

Signed:
    steel rim baby.

11. John90210

John90210 New Member

But sparks look pretty :D

12. OldNickToo

OldNickToo New Member

Ahah! you also have steel rims.:rolleyes: