Are Dual-action Stationary Bikes Good?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by worldgod, Aug 16, 2005.

1. worldgod

worldgod New Member

Hello all: Anybody here uses a dual-action stationary exercise bike to speed up the metabolic rate and lose weight? I read that those kinds of bikes (the dual-action bikes) speed up the metabolism cuz they work the arms as well as the legs at the same time. It even builds upper-body muscles. Can anybody here comment about dual-action bikes?

Thanx all

worldgod

Tags:

2. Powderfinger

Powderfinger New Member

Hey,

I used a dual action (I'm assuming this is the kind with the arms that swing) while recovering from cancer and a semi-paralyzed arm. In that state it was good because I couldn't really walk and the moving handlebars allowed me to get more of my body into the action.

That having been said, for someone who's fairly fit, I don't see the advantage. The problem I've found with mine as I've gotten back to normal is that the arms move with the pedals, so there isn't a lot of resistance unless you sort of scale back the power you're applying to the pedals, at which point you pull harder with the arms. This can work okay but I can never get a very good rhythm going in which I'm balancing both the leg and arm power, so my arms just end up going along for the ride.

I'd go with a good trainer or even a set of rollers.