Are eggs good or bad, overall?

Mxsmanic

Guest
Are eggs (such as hard-boiled eggs) generally good or bad nutritionally? It seems like they should
contain just about everything a person might need nutritionally, since they are designed to fulfill
the same purpose for a baby chick. Is it a good idea overall to eat them? If so, how often, and what
sort of preparation gives the best nutritional value? I tend to like hard-boiled or scrambled eggs
myself, but how much is lost in cooking them?

"Mxsmanic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Are eggs (such as hard-boiled eggs) generally good or bad nutritionally? It seems like they should
> contain just about everything a person might need nutritionally, since they are designed to
> fulfill the same purpose for a baby chick. Is it a good idea overall to eat them? If so, how
> often, and what sort of preparation gives the best nutritional value? I tend to like hard-boiled
> or scrambled eggs myself, but how much is lost in cooking them?

IANAE, but I've formed the idea from previous posts on this topic that cooking eggs in *air* causes
the formation of oxidised cholesterol, which you don't want. Maybe 'scrambling' ought to be dropped
as a method of preparation, therefore...?

M.

Mxsmanic wrote:

> Are eggs (such as hard-boiled eggs) generally good or bad nutritionally? It seems like they should
> contain just about everything a person might need nutritionally, since they are designed to
> fulfill the same purpose for a baby chick. Is it a good idea overall to eat them? If so, how
> often, and what sort of preparation gives the best nutritional value? I tend to like hard-boiled
> or scrambled eggs myself, but how much is lost in cooking them?

As you said, eggs are very high in nutrition. A study published in JAMA (The Journal of the American
Medical Association) there was no correlation found between up to at least one egg a day and heart
disease. I heard a nutritionist on the radio recommend a vegetable omelet for breakfast.

--Jeff

--
A man, a plan, a cat, a canal - Panama!

Ho, ho, ho, hee, hee, hee and a couple of ha, ha, has; That's how we pass the day away, in the merry
old land of Oz.