Are eggs good or bad, overall?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mxsmanic, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Are eggs (such as hard-boiled eggs) generally good or bad nutritionally? It seems like they should
    contain just about everything a person might need nutritionally, since they are designed to fulfill
    the same purpose for a baby chick. Is it a good idea overall to eat them? If so, how often, and what
    sort of preparation gives the best nutritional value? I tend to like hard-boiled or scrambled eggs
    myself, but how much is lost in cooking them?

  2. Mark D.

    Mark D. Guest

    "Mxsmanic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Are eggs (such as hard-boiled eggs) generally good or bad nutritionally? It seems like they should
    > contain just about everything a person might need nutritionally, since they are designed to
    > fulfill the same purpose for a baby chick. Is it a good idea overall to eat them? If so, how
    > often, and what sort of preparation gives the best nutritional value? I tend to like hard-boiled
    > or scrambled eggs myself, but how much is lost in cooking them?

    IANAE, but I've formed the idea from previous posts on this topic that cooking eggs in *air* causes
    the formation of oxidised cholesterol, which you don't want. Maybe 'scrambling' ought to be dropped
    as a method of preparation, therefore...?

    M.

  3. Mxsmanic wrote:

    > Are eggs (such as hard-boiled eggs) generally good or bad nutritionally? It seems like they should
    > contain just about everything a person might need nutritionally, since they are designed to
    > fulfill the same purpose for a baby chick. Is it a good idea overall to eat them? If so, how
    > often, and what sort of preparation gives the best nutritional value? I tend to like hard-boiled
    > or scrambled eggs myself, but how much is lost in cooking them?

    As you said, eggs are very high in nutrition. A study published in JAMA (The Journal of the American
    Medical Association) there was no correlation found between up to at least one egg a day and heart
    disease. I heard a nutritionist on the radio recommend a vegetable omelet for breakfast.

    --Jeff

    --
    A man, a plan, a cat, a canal - Panama!

    Ho, ho, ho, hee, hee, hee and a couple of ha, ha, has; That's how we pass the day away, in the merry
    old land of Oz.