Are Flashing Bike Lights Illegal for Road Use in the UK?

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by One-i-, May 19, 2010.

1. One-i-

One-i- New Member

Hi
    I have heard that flashing LED lights or any flashing bike lights are illegal to use on the road in the UK. I find this strange as many stores seem to sell them. Does anyone have any information on this as I plan to buy some lights soon.
    Thanks

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

I don't know the particulars about that law ... it would suggest that motorized vehicles could not be operated-or-towed with their emergency flashers ...

Regardless of which LED light you buy, it will have a toggle which will allow you to switch between constant + at least one flashing mode.

3. xpc316e

xpc316e New Member

Flashing lights were illegal, but the law in the UK has now changed to allow them.

4. Livestrong1966

Livestrong1966 New Member

Flashing LEDs are legal on cycles in the UK.

5. decca234uk

decca234uk New Member

They're perfectly legal as far as I know. I've used them for years, they the best lights for attracting the attention of unattentive drivers.

6. Robert 85

Robert 85 New Member

They are definatly legal!
    Ive been cycling with them for years and nothings ever happened. No police stops or anything.
    Like there is a huge difference between flashing lights and non flashing?

7. Andy0161

Andy0161 New Member

Flashing isn't (or possibly wasn't) the issue. UK law hadn't been updated to acknowledge the existence of light emitting diodes, and the technicalities or the written law called specifically for vehicles to be fitted with old fashioned bulbs. Therefore vehicles like cycles that chose to fit no bulbs, but LEDs instead were technically breaking the law, though I believe its never a case thats actually gone to court, as its an effect of an outdated law rather than intended by government. I believed that it was still the case, but with he poster above saying that the law has been changed, it may well have been updated. Eiher way, you're pretty much safe to fit and use whatever flashing lights you want, except blue ones, as there is a specific offence for a non-emergency vehicle having flashing blue lights fitted (they don't even have to be on)!