Are high-protein diets good for your waistline, bad for your stomach?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Roger Zoul, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    I think the key to your article is the phrase "sponsored by Nexium."

    Protein as a liquid, such as from a protein powder in water, soothes my
    tummy. Salami, beef or chicken can lead to mild heartburn. LC ice cream,
    or cheese is soothing.

    My heartburn was a problem in the 1980s and is much milder now.

    Nuts do not trigger heartburn, for me.

    YMMV

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Certainly not the case IME.
    >
    > http://gerd.msn.com/article.aspx?aid=12

  2. Wysong *~

    Wysong *~ Guest

    news:[email protected]

    wrote:
    > > Certainly not the case IME.
    > >
    > > http://gerd.msn.com/article.aspx?aid=12
    > >

    > And not the case for me either.
    >
    > Anyone who calls a low carb a high protein diet does not know what she
    > (in this instance) is talking about.

    =============================
    Right. These low-carb diets seem to be turning out to really be HIGH
    "low-carb veggie, low-calorie" diets with not much protein at all.
    --
    Wysong
    Age 60. Height 5'6"

  3. Wysong *~

    Wysong *~ Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Makes me wonder too. You'd think they'd call them high-fat diets, anyway,
    > as that would seem to generate more response and interest in a world where
    > fat is to be avoided.

    =========================
    And mostly low-carb veggies consumed to keep the weight loss going and fiber
    count up. ;-)
    --

  4. Roger Zoul wrote:

    > Certainly not the case IME.
    >
    > http://gerd.msn.com/article.aspx?aid=12

    Who would go on a high protein diet, apart from weightlifters?
    Not relevant to a.s.d.l-c.

    "Studies show that the less fiber you take in, the more likely you are to
    become constipated; "
    Not relevant to a.s.d.l-c.

    gtoomey

  5. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Certainly not the case IME.

    No, mine either. Before I started lc'ing I was getting some really bad
    heartburn. After the first week of induction, however, that was pretty much
    gone for good. Except when my eating has gotten really sloppy with lots of
    refined grains along with the usual amount of protein and fat. For me fat
    alone isn't a problem, it's just when it is combined with refined starches
    and/or sugar that I get the heartburn.

    Oh, yeah, it is a pretty stupid article.

    HG

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    ::
    :: And mostly low-carb veggies consumed to keep the weight loss going
    :: and fiber count up. ;-)

    Basically, yes.