Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Are hubs usually stiffer when new?

Started by MartianMan · · Last activity · 3 posts · 919 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
27 June 2006
Last activity
27 June 2006
Original author
MartianMan
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
919
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just got a new wheel with an a virgin Ultegra FH-6600 hub on it. I noticed that the axle seems quite a bit stiffer than the FH-6500 I have with several thousand miles on it and no wobbles. It's perfectly smooth and not ridiculously hard to turn, just doesn't seem to spin as freely as the older one (more of a feeling of stiff grease). Is this normal with a brand new hub and will it free up a bit when ridden?

  2. I'm wondering if by stiffer, you mean that the axle resists a bit when you try and turn it in the hub by hand? If so, there's a few causes. First, the bearings are being compressed (pre-loaded) too much and are causing a problem. If you keep riding on a wheel like this, the bearings will eventually grind away until it spins freely again. Not a good solution. Get them adjusted. Second is that there is a misalignment of the bearings/races or a bent axle! Not Good! You'll usually feel this as a "binding" once or twice per revolution. If in doubt, take it to your local mechanic. Third is that it's packed full of highly viscous grease. Awesome. Although it can feel tough to turn by hand, it doesn't actually cause a lot of drag. It does, however, protect your bearings from the elements.

    In short - if you're not sure which of these applies, go talk to a bicycle mechanic that you trust. If you're in Vancouver, I'll be happy to look at them for you. Don't worry, I'm not making a living as a mechanic and won't charge you.

    John Swanson

    MartianMan said:

    I just got a new wheel with an a virgin Ultegra FH-6600 hub on it. I noticed that the axle seems quite a bit stiffer than the FH-6500 I have with several thousand miles on it and no wobbles. It's perfectly smooth and not ridiculously hard to turn, just doesn't seem to spin as freely as the older one (more of a feeling of stiff grease). Is this normal with a brand new hub and will it free up a bit when ridden?

  3. ScienceIsCool said:

    I'm wondering if by stiffer, you mean that the axle resists a bit when you try and turn it in the hub by hand? If so, there's a few causes. First, the bearings are being compressed (pre-loaded) too much and are causing a problem. If you keep riding on a wheel like this, the bearings will eventually grind away until it spins freely again. Not a good solution. Get them adjusted. Second is that there is a misalignment of the bearings/races or a bent axle! Not Good! You'll usually feel this as a "binding" once or twice per revolution. If in doubt, take it to your local mechanic. Third is that it's packed full of highly viscous grease. Awesome. Although it can feel tough to turn by hand, it doesn't actually cause a lot of drag. It does, however, protect your bearings from the elements.

    In short - if you're not sure which of these applies, go talk to a bicycle mechanic that you trust. If you're in Vancouver, I'll be happy to look at them for you. Don't worry, I'm not making a living as a mechanic and won't charge you.

    John Swanson


    Agree with John.
    If you have the tools and are comfortable with the process you can follow the *hub adjustment* section in the following from Park Tool Repair section of their web site:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.