Are japanese brand bikes good?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by EfficientNinja, Jun 23, 2018.

1. EfficientNinja

EfficientNinja New Member

Hello, Cycling Forums!

We all know that Japan makes good vehicles and they produce higher quality cars than western brands. Aside from cars they also make good gadgets like Sony and Toshiba. But what about their bicycles? Has anyone here tried how their bicycles' quality is?

Thanks!

Tags:

2. BrianNystrom

BrianNystrom Active Member

Japanese bikes have been of very high quality since the 1970's. Unless you're buying some off-brand, you'll get a quality bike. What specifically are you looking at?

Taiwanese bikes are also very high quality and most of the better Asian brands are built there. Some also have factories in China. Many quality American brands have their bikes built in Taiwan and/or China.

3. Chuckabutty

Chuckabutty Active Member

I don't know if any manufacturer makes a poor quality frame. Poor quality overall is usually due to the components. I had two Sun bikes, one a Revolutions cruiser and the other a Spyder fat bike. A label on the seat tubes says "Designed in Miami" but I believe they are made in an Asian country, most likely China. The thing I liked about Sun is that you can actually contact the company and get an answer. I never had any problems with either bike (other than components), but have since moved on to a Specialized Fatboy and an el cheapo Schwinn. The Schwinn I bought online, expecting to have to improve it, and I was right. The frame is great, but the tires and tubes were so bad they wouldn't hold air. The tires had an extremely rough finish, and no actual tread. But, again, we're talking about components. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy a Japanese made bike. Let's face it, they want to keep selling bikes. It wouldn't benefit them to sell junk.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

From what I remember in my casual talks with cyclists, Shimano bike is one of the best. It is made in Japan hence it is expensive. To be honest, I have heard and read a lot about Shimano brand of bike but I have never seen one yet. And although its factories are spread in Asia, the head office is still in Japan so maybe they have maintained the good quality of their product.

5. Steve5

Steve5 Member

I haven't used a Japanese brand bike. But from what I can tell, I know they're of good quality. I like Japanese made products. I think the country's devotion to creating and maintaining quality standards says a lot.

6. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I have a some Japanese made vintage bikes, but new ones from Japan are all custom made. Bridgestone still makes bikes and they have a high end brand they call Anchor; Koga, who bought out Miyata; Toyo who makes some beautiful steel bikes but their more plain ones are being sold by Velo Orange, Toyo also makes their own lugs which at one time Rivendell was using them not sure if he still is; Tokyobike; Scarab which makes all single speed bikes last I knew; Panasonic is still making keirin njs frames, and they use to (maybe still do?) made frames for Rivendell, they also don't show any of their new stuff on the website; Zunow, this one I'm not sure if they're still in business or not, I couldn't find anything recent, but there are a lot of small frame builder in Japan that don't have web sites probably because they can't handle the extra work? I'm sure there are some I'm missing.

7. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

The Japanese make very good quality bikes. Fuji is just one. Shimano makes just about everything these days so I imagine that many of the "other" country's bikes come from Japan. India makes most of the Trek's. Oddly enough Mozilla Foxfire? - they make the Treks as well as many other brands.

8. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Fuji is no longer a brand, it's a decal, the company went bankrupt in 1997 and the rights to keep the name went to Advance Sports International which at least is a descendant of the original owner Nichibei Fuji Cycles Company., but the bikes are made in China and Taiwan. But in 2004 Advance Sports was having cash problems to so they sold 17% of the company to Ideal Bike Corp of Poland.

Also as far as I could find out on the internet India does not make any bikes for Trek, they are made mostly in China with a few coming out of Germany and the Netherlands, the top of the line Treks are made in Waterloo Wi. All India is to Trek is an important market to sell Trek bikes to.

And the comment about Mozilla Foxfire making Treks? were you drunk when you wrote your post?

CAMPYBOB likes this.
  9. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Japan is home to some of the best steel track bike frames on the planet. NJS certified. Go to the Yellow Jersey's website and check them out. http://www.yellowjersey.org/

Fuji status and history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuji_Bikes

Froze, What? You didn't know Mozilla operating systems are installed inside every TREK! LMAO!

India produced lots of bicycles, but very little by way of high end stuff. TI, Tube Industries, of India builds some BSA branded bicycles.

10. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

CampyBob...I don't get the joke! Had he said mozzarella cheese is inside every Trek that I would understand since Trek is so cheesy!

11. CAMPYBOB

Check out the pics, Froze: https://bsa.in/ Hysterical! Rod brakes...center stands...twisted rack supports.

Half of shimaNO stuff is now manufactured in Taiwan or China or Indonesia. Campy is doing a lot of their carbon stuff in Romania.

#11 CAMPYBOB, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  12. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Ok. so I go to the BSA site but I still don't see how those bikes have anything to do with Mozilla Foxfire. By the way, I kind of like the rod brakes because they are different, they are indeed a throwback, I was surprised to see them being built brand new! I bet they probably work better than the new crap that Walmart sells! That BSA Roadster was very unique for today's world, not sure if they would sell well in America though but it was cool to look at.

CampyBob, I know you're a die hard Campy fan and that's ok, nothing wrong with that at all. But to slam stuff made in Asia I find a bit hypocrisy on your part because I know for a FACT that most of the things you own were made in Asia. I could understand slamming stuff made in Asia if we today could buy whatever we wanted to buy and to so without having had Asia building it, but that is impossible today. Heck even if you drive an American or a European car they get a lot of the parts to build that car from Asia. The parts channels to build a car is like watching a worldwide hurricane of parts flying in from all over the globe to a factory that will assemble the parts into a car. It's not like it use to be when you could buy an American car and all the parts came from America, it hasn't been like that for while now. And your computer and cell phone are all made in China no matter the brand. Most kitchen appliances are made in Asia, as are most clothes. Even Colnago has bikes built in the Giant factory in Taiwan!

So your little throw up on Shimano you do all the time gets very old.

13. CAMPYBOB

Froze, you're a fucking moron. I didn't throw up on shimNO. I simply stated that some of their product is no longer made in Japan. Same with Campy. They have had a factory in Romania for several years. So go fuck yourself asshole.

14. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

That's physically impossible to fuck your own asshole, have you tried? no matter how long your penis is you're not going to be able to bend it in that direction all the way around and then stick it in your ass and then ride it. It just isn't possible. Now if you have done that to yourself please show video.

15. CAMPYBOB

Here's Froze reading a typical post: upload_2018-7-5_8-8-26.jpeg

Froze after being triggered by shimaNO comment: upload_2018-7-5_8-10-34.jpeg

Dumbass, Campy has a bunch of illiterate Roma laying up carbon fiber. Could shimaNO using chicom labor and materials be any worse? I doubt it.

My 5800 105 is made mostly in Japan in one of shimaNO's oldest and least technologically advanced factories. My 6800 Ultegra is mostly made in Malaysia. As is Dura-Ace. At least according to the intarwebz.

shimaNO opened their first overseas factory in 1973, in Singapore, and opened a plant in Malaysia in 1990. Their first plant in China was built in 2001. They also have plants in Taiwan and the Czech Republic. Even more cause for you to act like a moron so have at it.

[​IMG]

Now, feel free to find some more butthurt and feelz in that. And while you're dreaming up some more fake rage, go soak your chain in Simple Green like I did yesterday for the umpteeth time. Idiot.

16. reighn

reighn Member

Yeah, I think they're good, Japanese product are well known for good quality, but I think more of their bikes or their typical bikes are not design for long travel or sports.

17. Fang

Fang New Member

Bicycles produced in Japan, even the most common ones, have high reliability and are very light to ride. They should not be maintained except for inflating and repairing tires.

18. Henrywrites

Henrywrites Member

It depends on where you are getting the bike. The first bike that my pal got from Japan stayed for long which is a sign that their bikes can last for long. What I will suggest is that you get one from a user review.

19. cyclintom

And Indian tech guy told me that his brother worked for Mozilla and that they were fabricating all of the Trek Carbon Fiber bikes. Seems to me I looked it up and indeed among the many brands they made in CF that Trek was one of them.

20. cyclintom

The 105, Ultegra and DuraAce groups are made in Japan and these parts work a hell of a lot better than Campy stuff. Although I am a Campy man as well, I have yet to have a Campy Record group that doesn't skip on at least one gear some time or another. The Shimano shifting is virtually perfect.