Are LATEX TUBES better for puncture resistance than 'normal' tubes?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Are they lighter? (I can't see how they would be lighter than some 'rubber' tubes).
Re puncture resistance do they bend over glass particles like an old ad I have here shows?:eek:
Are they repairable?

IMHO Most of the differences you state are myths.

What I do notice is latex needs pumping up more often and doesn't last as long.

Latex is lighter, has less rolling resistance and goes flat really fast. I doubt that it is more resistant to sharp edges, but I know for a fact that it will blow out through small gashes in your tyre that butyl wouldn't even bulge into.

artemidorus said:
Latex is lighter, has less rolling resistance and goes flat really fast. I doubt that it is more resistant to sharp edges, but I know for a fact that it will blow out through small gashes in your tyre that butyl wouldn't even bulge into.
When you say goes flat really fast, does this mean it just needs more pumps for the daily pre-ride top off, or will it actually lose noticable air pressure during, say, a 2-3 hour ride?

Just curious since I have no intention of ever using them.

Camilo said:
When you say goes flat really fast, does this mean it just needs more pumps for the daily pre-ride top off, or will it actually lose noticable air pressure during, say, a 2-3 hour ride?

Just curious since I have no intention of ever using them.
I found that I needed to top them up daily. I do it weekly for butyl tubes.

Bigbananabike said:
Are they lighter? (I can't see how they would be lighter than some 'rubber' tubes).
Re puncture resistance do they bend over glass particles like an old ad I have here shows?:eek:
Are they repairable?
latex tubes are great! i'll never ride butyl again. but really its a cheap test to see for yourself. try the michalan latex.

they do cost a little more. and you do have to pump them up daily. yes you can patch them. but coupled with good tires, they ride great and they are durable.

Tommasini53 said:
latex tubes are great! i'll never ride butyl again. but really its a cheap test to see for yourself. try the michalan latex.

they do cost a little more. and you do have to pump them up daily. yes you can patch them. but coupled with good tires, they ride great and they are durable.
You really need to watch your brands when it comes to latex as some are not as good as others. I have found that the EVO 55 and the Michelin are a bit soft and we tend to get alot of punctors from hard bumps and pinch flats if you dont keep them hard.

I have had alot of good luck with the conti supersonics

So theoretically it could(could?) be a good idea to have latex tubes as race wheel tubes with clinchers?

Bigbananabike said:
So theoretically it could(could?) be a good idea to have latex tubes as race wheel tubes with clinchers?
Saw rolling resistance test results which IIRC showed a 2-3 watt per wheel savings for latex tubes over butyl. They tested all the race tires with latex, as if it was common knowledge that latex would produce the lowest RR figures.

No one I know uses latex tubes, but if those test data are correct, would say it's certainly worthwhile to use them for racing (along with low RR race tires of course).

Sure if you want to risk a kevlar bead skinwall blowing out due to a sidewall gash. I have had to throw out several skinwalls due to gashes. I think the real choice for most of us is whether to run a tire with a sturdier sidewall with latex tubes, or to run a skinwall with a butyl tube.

I have had a Vittoria latex tube puncture, though, due to a piece of glass which chewed its way through a kevlar belted IRC metro duro and poked out a slight amount into the tube. I typically inspect my tread for glass between rides so it could not have been in there too long.

If you put a tube patch or two on the inside of the tyre wall you'll save the tyre and it'll be as safe as before. I've done it a number of times and had no trouble in the longterm:)

garage sale GT said:
Sure if you want to risk a kevlar bead skinwall blowing out due to a sidewall gash. I have had to throw out several skinwalls due to gashes. I think the real choice for most of us is whether to run a tire with a sturdier sidewall with latex tubes, or to run a skinwall with a butyl tube.

I have had a Vittoria latex tube puncture, though, due to a piece of glass which chewed its way through a kevlar belted IRC metro duro and poked out a slight amount into the tube. I typically inspect my tread for glass between rides so it could not have been in there too long.

Bigbananabike said:
If you put a tube patch or two on the inside of the tyre wall you'll save the tyre and it'll be as safe as before. I've done it a number of times and had no trouble in the longterm:)
The puncture through the tread was so small I just ran it as-is. I did take out the glass, though.

Bigbananabike said:

In spite of all the hoopla about expensive gadgets and gizmos, zillion $ wheels and exotic this and that, a great way to improve your ride is simply using different tires and tubes. Least expensive way to improve things.