Are Mailorder bikes ok??

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by greenhornbiker, Jan 17, 2008.

1. greenhornbiker

greenhornbiker New Member

Wished I would Have found this site before I ordered a bike, I hope I didnt make a mistake. I am new to biking and liked a cafe style roadbike I tried last year (specialized Sirrus) and bought one for my girlfriend for x-mas. However, I decided to buy a Motobecane Cafe Noir from bikesdirect.com. Havent received it yet, is anyone familiar with this bike, it seems like I got a good deal, it has Shimano 105 components and carbon fork, paid $699. They allegedly retail for $1499.

Tags:

2. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

bikesdirect.com is the largest US distributor of Motobecane, so the $1499 retail is bogus. On the other hand, most buyers seem to agree that the Cafe Noir is a darned nice ride for $699.

Some purchasers have complained of inexplicable flat tires, so before fully inflating tires and taking off down the road, it might be smart to check that rim strips, tubes, and tires are properly seated on the rims.

3. greenhornbiker

greenhornbiker New Member

Thanks for the reply, I figured the $1499 was bogus but you made me feel better about people saying it is a nice ride for the $699, seems like it has alot for that price, most bikes in that price range have the Sora group and no carbon fork. I willl check the tires prior to riding.

4. rparedes

rparedes New Member

Most of their bikes had decent reviews (I'm currently looking very hard at one their carbon frames). You can also go to: http://www.roadbikereview.com/
    and go to the manufacturer forum and get tons of reviews of motobecane, mercier and dawes bikes.
    Keep us informed on how the bikes does and the service from bikesdirect.

Definitely follow up on Oldbobcat's suggestion to check the rim tape (or just replace it) or take it to your LBS and have them check it.
    Enjoy!