Are moderate drinking and smoking good for health?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Francispoon, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Francispoon

    Francispoon Guest

    I think the answer should be yes provided the word 'moderate' is pronounced.

    Views???

    FP

    Tags:

  2. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    26 Feb 2004 04:45:48 -0800 in article
    <[email protected]> [email protected]
    (francispoon) wrote:

    >I think the answer should be yes provided the word 'moderate' is pronounced.

    Moderate drinking, perhaps, depends on your definition of "moderate", moderate smoking,
    absolutely no.

    --
    Matti Narkia

  3. francispoon wrote:

    > I think the answer should be yes provided the word 'moderate' is pronounced.
    >
    > Views???
    >
    > FP

    For alcohol, the answer is: "it depends"

    Where there is hypertension and aldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency (many asians have this), the
    answer is "no" even when there is moderation.

    For cigarette smoking, the answer is : "no" without exceptions.

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

    **
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557

    What is all this about?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?T13943F77

    Is this spam?
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  4. Francispoon

    Francispoon Guest

    "Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > francispoon wrote:
    >
    > > I think the answer should be yes provided the word 'moderate' is pronounced.
    > >
    > > Views???
    > >
    > > FP
    >
    > For alcohol, the answer is: "it depends"
    >
    > Where there is hypertension and aldehyde dehydrogenase deficiency (many asians have this), the
    > answer is "no" even when there is moderation.

    My doctorS here say it is healthy to have a glass of red wine a day. What do you think of that?

    FP

    > For cigarette smoking, the answer is : "no" without exceptions.
    >

    > Servant to the humblest person in the universe,
    >
    > Andrew
    >
    > --
    > Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD Board-Certified Cardiologist http://www.heartmdphd.com/
    >
    > ** Who is the humblest person in the universe? http://makeashorterlink.com/?W1F522557
    >
    > What is all this about? http://makeashorterlink.com/?T13943F77
    >
    > Is this spam? http://makeashorterlink.com/?N69721867

  5. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Matti Narkia wrote:
    > 26 Feb 2004 04:45:48 -0800 in article <[email protected]>
    > [email protected]

    > Moderate drinking, perhaps, depends on your definition of "moderate", moderate smoking,
    > absolutely no.

    Well not so fast ... chemical carcinogens might cause minor DNA damage or other damage that
    stimulates anti-cancer/tumor-suppressor/DNA-repair genes. It would be consistent with
    homeopathic ideas.

  6. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:09:10 GMT in article <[email protected]>
    Matt <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Matti Narkia wrote:
    >> 26 Feb 2004 04:45:48 -0800 in article <[email protected]>
    >> [email protected]
    >
    >> Moderate drinking, perhaps, depends on your definition of "moderate", moderate smoking,
    >> absolutely no.
    >
    >Well not so fast ... chemical carcinogens might cause minor DNA damage or other damage that
    >stimulates anti-cancer/tumor-suppressor/DNA-repair genes. It would be consistent with
    >homeopathic ideas.

    1) Carcinogen levels provided my moderate smoking are far above homeopathic levels.

    2) Homeopathy is bullshit, IMHO.

    --
    Matti Narkia

  7. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Matti Narkia wrote:
    > Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:09:10 GMT in article <[email protected]> Matt
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Matti Narkia wrote:
    >>
    >>>26 Feb 2004 04:45:48 -0800 in article <[email protected]>
    >>>[email protected]
    >>
    >>>Moderate drinking, perhaps, depends on your definition of "moderate", moderate smoking,
    >>>absolutely no.
    >>
    >>Well not so fast ... chemical carcinogens might cause minor DNA damage or other damage that
    >>stimulates anti-cancer/tumor-suppressor/DNA-repair genes. It would be consistent with
    >>homeopathic ideas.
    >>

    > 1) Carcinogen levels provided my moderate smoking are far above homeopathic levels.

    Perhaps it depends on your definition of "moderate".

    > 2) Homeopathy is bullshit,

    Now that is immoderate. Maybe the neuroses pervading this newsgroup have made you slap happy.

    >IMHO.
    ^ Humble like Dr. C, I suppose. :)

    Thanks for your posts of research results.

  8. Derek F

    Derek F Guest

    "Matti Narkia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:09:10 GMT in article
    <[email protected]>
    > Matt <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Matti Narkia wrote:
    > >> 26 Feb 2004 04:45:48 -0800 in article
    > >> <[email protected]>
    > >> [email protected]
    > >
    > >> Moderate drinking, perhaps, depends on your definition
    > >> of "moderate", moderate smoking, absolutely no.
    > >
    > >Well not so fast ... chemical carcinogens might cause
    > >minor DNA damage or other damage that stimulates anti-cancer/tumor-suppressor/DNA-
    > >repair genes. It would be consistent with homeopathic
    > >ideas.
    > >
    > 1) Carcinogen levels provided my moderate smoking are far
    > above
    homeopathic
    > levels.
    >
    > 2) Homeopathy is bullshit, IMHO.
    >

    > --
    > Matti Narkia
    Have you ever tried homeopathy? Arnica for bruises and
    swellings and Aconite for colds certainly work for me as do
    many others. I was plagued with stomach problems for many
    years and after three visits to homeopath the symptoms
    disappeared for years. I could actually do with seeing him
    again as conventional treatment for a duodenal ulcer and
    acid reflux have not helped me much in the past two years.
    Many homeopathic remedies work on animals who do not know
    that they are being given bullshit. Derek.

  9. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:01:44 +0000 (UTC) in article
    <[email protected]> "Derek F"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Matti Narkia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:09:10 GMT in article
    ><[email protected]>
    >> Matt <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >Well not so fast ... chemical carcinogens might cause
    >> >minor DNA damage or other damage that stimulates anti-cancer/tumor-suppressor/DNA-
    >> >repair genes. It would be consistent with homeopathic
    >> >ideas.
    >> >
    >> 1) Carcinogen levels provided my moderate smoking are far
    >> above
    >homeopathic
    >> levels.
    >>
    >> 2) Homeopathy is bullshit, IMHO.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Matti Narkia
    >Have you ever tried homeopathy? Arnica for bruises and
    >swellings and Aconite for colds certainly work for me as do
    >many others. I was plagued with stomach problems for many
    >years and after three visits to homeopath the symptoms
    >disappeared for years. I could actually do with seeing him
    >again as conventional treatment for a duodenal ulcer and
    >acid reflux have not helped me much in the past two years.

    Yes, I have tried homeopathy. No effect whatsoever.

    > Many homeopathic remedies work on animals who do not know
    > that they are being given bullshit.

    Animals sense the feelings and expectations of the human
    beings attending to them and react accordingly.

    --
    Matti Narkia

  10. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    Mon, 08 Mar 2004 23:41:21 +0200 in article
    <[email protected]> Matti Narkia
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:01:44 +0000 (UTC) in article
    ><[email protected]> "Derek F"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"Matti Narkia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>> Thu, 04 Mar 2004 03:09:10 GMT in article
    >><[email protected]>

    >>> 1) Carcinogen levels provided my moderate smoking are
    >>> far above
    >>homeopathic
    >>> levels.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Homeopathy is bullshit, IMHO.
    >>>
    >>Have you ever tried homeopathy? Arnica for bruises and
    >>swellings and Aconite for colds certainly work for me as
    >>do many others. I was plagued with stomach problems for
    >>many years and after three visits to homeopath the
    >>symptoms disappeared for years. I could actually do with
    >>seeing him again as conventional treatment for a duodenal
    >>ulcer and acid reflux have not helped me much in the past
    >>two years.
    >>
    >Yes, I have tried homeopathy. No effect whatsoever.
    >
    >> Many homeopathic remedies work on animals who do not know
    >> that they are being given bullshit.
    >>
    >Animals sense the feelings and expectations of the human
    >beings attending to them and react accordingly.

    More about homeopathy in

    <URL:http://skepdic.com/homeo.html>
    <URL:http://skepdic.com/comments/homeocom.html>

    --
    Matti Narkia

  11. Jim Chinnis

    Jim Chinnis Guest

    Matti Narkia <[email protected]> wrote in part:

    >> Many homeopathic remedies work on animals who do not know
    >> that they are being given bullshit.
    >>
    >Animals sense the feelings and expectations of the human
    >beings attending to them and react accordingly.

    I did a seearch a few years back and concluded that the
    number of "positive" effects from homeopathy over the past
    century are less than would be expected by chance (p<0.05).
    I still haven't figured that out! :)
    --
    Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA