Are most Powertaps built on Mavic Open Pros?

jsull14

Nov 26, 2005
I've been looking into the Powertap and browsing eBay and some other places and it seems like the Mavic Open Pro is the default wheel for this power device. Is that a fair statement? Is it a good wheel?

Thanks

It certainly seems that Mavic Open Pros are very popular.

FWIW, I built my PT SL on a Reynolds solitude rim. The aluminum aero rims provide the greatest strength you can find anywhere. Plus, the hidden nipples make the wheel look great.

jsull14 said:
I've been looking into the Powertap and browsing eBay and some other places and it seems like the Mavic Open Pro is the default wheel for this power device. Is that a fair statement? Is it a good wheel?

Thanks
Nothing wrong with a Mavic Open Pro, but I've got two PTs built on DT Swiss rims and one on a Zipp 404 so you can get them on a variety of rims, those were all bought built up, I didn't lace the wheels.

You can buy the powertap hubs and powertap wheels with the open pro from the same channel. So the shops selling the powertap can offer you easily the powertap with the open pro.

I have a powertap sl 2.4 in a zipp 404 wheelset as training and timetrial wheel.

QBP is a popular distributor of PT wheels, and now they're using DT Swiss rims for the standard PT wheel.

They were using Mavic Open Pros a little while back, so that's why you see a lot of them.

I have (or have had) PT built into Velocity Aerohead(road/crit racing) ; Velocity Deep V (training - bullet proof wheel); old Campag Shamal (TT); Zipp 360 (track version of 404) track racing. All great wheels for their designated puroses.

Thanks for the help. One last thing. I have a Shimano 9-speed triple currently. (Yes I have a triple) When it says "Cycleops 32 Hole Shimano Powertap SL Mavic Open Pro Wheel" it still needs to be 9-speed to work for me. Correct?? I am assuming most of these Powertaps will be 10 speed as usually people using 9 speed triples have more problems to worry about than measuring power. Thoughts? Thanks

jsull14 said:
Thanks for the help. One last thing. I have a Shimano 9-speed triple currently. (Yes I have a triple) When it says "Cycleops 32 Hole Shimano Powertap SL Mavic Open Pro Wheel" it still needs to be 9-speed to work for me. Correct?? I am assuming most of these Powertaps will be 10 speed as usually people using 9 speed triples have more problems to worry about than measuring power. Thoughts? Thanks
Nope. It'll work as fine with 9-speed as with 10-speed. Triple or not.

Alex Simmons said:
I have (or have had) PT built into Velocity Aerohead(road/crit racing) ; Velocity Deep V (training - bullet proof wheel); old Campag Shamal (TT); Zipp 360 (track version of 404) track racing. All great wheels for their designated puroses.
I like the old Shamals, but have never seen any greater than 16 hole. Did you lace it using half the 32 hole hub? Drill your own holes? ?? - TF

Terry Ferguson said:
I like the old Shamals, but have never seen any greater than 16 hole. Did you lace it using half the 32 hole hub? Drill your own holes? ?? - TF
I used a 32 hole hub - just used 16 spokes. and a really good wheelbuilder ;)

Got a PT Pro in DT1.1 rim 32 hole 3-cross - it's been excelelnt for 2 years.

Just picked up a 650c and laced in a PT Pro in a Mavic Open Pro, again 32 hole 3-cross. Just as fine.

I got a Powertap SL w/wheel on the way. I'm excited, but a little bummed because I like my current wheels (Neuvation M28) but they have only 20 aero spokes and I've been told wouldn't work so well with PT.

I live near the hardest rated climb of the Tour of California and Velo News tracked two Predictor-Lotto riders' power output for that climb during this year's race. http://www.velonews.com/train/articles/11806.0.html

I have done the climb probably 75 times so it'll be interesting to see my power profile versus their's and just how much I need to improve. The fact that they can do the climb in about 21 minutes amazes me.