Are Mountain Bikers Real Cyclist

Of course dedicated MTBers are true cyclists with the exception perhaps of downhillers that are doing it for an adrenalin rush. They're junkies.

Although I ride both road and MTB, I consider myself an "enthusiast" and not a "cyclist". I'm more into it for fitness and fun and have no intentions of ever racing. Frankly, I enjoyed running more but at my age it's too hard on my joints.

Originally bikes only had no gear, straight handlebars, wooden seats and went about 10 mph. So, I guess most of us have "evolved" to our present-day form of cycling. I ride both kinds and don't have a preferance, depends on when and where.

Learned all of my real bike handling skills on my Mtn. bike. In fact, the real truth be known, the average roadie is a poor bike handler compared to the average mountain biker. So does that mean the a roadie doeasn't have full command of their equipment ;)

well to me im a MTBr and i call my self a biker just because its in the name...and wen u hear cyclist you think old guy riding bike to work everyday...but i would still consider my self a cyclist because we all no the bikes were calld bicycles before bike or cyclist so technically we are all bikers and cyclist as long as were on a pedal design 2 wheel machine with no motor....weather its specified for mountains or street it doesnt matter were all cyclist.

*ex. if you went to your bike shop and said you were looking for a new cycle theyd probly ask you street or mountain bike?*

~Scott

Well as far as I'm cocerned, if its got two wheels, pedals and handlebars and you ride it, then you're a cyclist. As for the guy who said ask the guys in the TDF. Well, if I had a team of lackeys in cars bringing me water bottles and energy gels, then I wouldn't need a hydration pack stuffed with tubes, patch kits, tools, etc either. FWIW since I only have one helmet, it has a visor. Though I have two sets of shoes- look cleats for the road, spd's for the MTB's ( go figure).
As far as off-road cycling improving bike handling- former BMXer Robbie Mcewen has thrilled an untold number of fans with his handling abilities in the final stretches of many a stage. An increasing number of pros cut their teeth on the MTB circuit (Cristophe Moreau, Cadel Evans and Floyd Landis to name a few) and none are known for poor handling skills.
Bottom line: ride and enjoy it. If anyone gives you guff about how you're dressed or what you ride tell 'em to get on their bikes and ride :D

I had a freind who is into cars say off-handedly that mountain racing was not "real" racing. I of course object to such statements.
I am an 'omni-cyclist', as such I like all forms(but lowriders:rolleyes:). My rebuttle would go as follows:
1. Ask the roadie in question if he can ride a 25 mile trail race at altitude in summer heat on a 27 lb bike?
2. Any reasonable Mtb rider I know of can keep pace with most avg to better roadies on his/her mtb.
I hate to get into nit-pick sessions such as these since it is only a product of disrespect on someone's part(not the poster per se). Each form of cometitive and semi competitive sport has it's own disciplines to manage. One underlying factor remains. In light of human nature, if we compare to eachother within a sport, regardless of what it is, those involved will be at their best. Even if the casual mtb rider can't hold pace on a road, he will have a skill set specific to trails or whatever his venue is. Chances are the roadie will not be as skilled in those aspects when they swap places.
Is it the ability of the rider? Not likely. It is the product of the practice and choice of each.

ahh, recumbent riders, I had been train 400 mi. weeks, winning road races, and encountered one. he was bearded and wearing an oxford shirt, street shoes and khakis. the bike was obviously home made from old bikes, with the old paint still on them and welding visible. the thing had a rack underneath to carry such things as a briefcase, laptop and cooler.
this was the laydown version with small front wheel and low cranks. the commuter from hell.
he pulled in front of me from an expressway cloverleaf and accellerated from 25. as I pulled alongside, he was ragged but refused to be repulsed without more effort. he was ready for more.
I just hope mountain bikers will evolve into such advanced genus and species as this, and choose to at least try to walk upright.
maybe shaving of the legs isn't needed to to accomplish this at first, but perhaps consider starting with the brows and working downward.
hey, it's up to you if you want your legs heavy and slow.
next time you are at the trailhead and see a roadie whippin' by on the road you drove on to get there, you can see the next level before your eyes.
strive to even advance toward this ideal and you may earn a degree of respect . at least a little at a time.

ric said:
I guess it's how you look at it and what world you live in. To say a mountain biker isn't a cyclist, I don't know. I think then I'd have to ask how about a Recumbent Rider or someone who rides a Trike, I guess were not Cyclist either. IMO if you can pedal it and you like it then do it. I enjoy them all and I don't ride with blinders.
Ric

I remember a number of years ago when the American Motorcycle Association changed it's name to the American Motocyclist Association. The reason given was to put more emphesis on the rider, and less on the hardware.

In my opinion anyone who pedals a cycle is a cyclist. That also includes unicycles and "boneshakers", whether we compete or just knock around for the heck of it.

Sometimes by our nature as enthusiasts, in that we are subscribers to the forums, we tend to get hung up on the frames and wheels, and forget that it's that human "engine" that keeps it upright and makes it go. That engine is a cyclist!

Doctor Morbius said:
Of course dedicated MTBers are true cyclists with the exception perhaps of downhillers that are doing it for an adrenalin rush.

Interesting. So how dedicated does an MTBer have to be to be considered a true cyclist? Do roadies have to be dedicated as well or are they just automatically considered cyclists. And downhillers aren't? You try pedalling a 40lb+ bike uphill for an hour and tell me that's not dedication!

You guys still dont get it! If you are a bicycle enthusiast then you are a cyclist. And yes, downhillers are also considered cyclist. Brian Lopes considers himself a professional cyclist. The root word is "cycle.";)

king4wd said:
Well as far as I'm cocerned, if its got two wheels, pedals and handlebars and you ride it, then you're a cyclist. As for the guy who said ask the guys in the TDF. Well, if I had a team of lackeys in cars bringing me water bottles and energy gels, then I wouldn't need a hydration pack stuffed with tubes, patch kits, tools, etc either. FWIW since I only have one helmet, it has a visor. Though I have two sets of shoes- look cleats for the road, spd's for the MTB's ( go figure).
As far as off-road cycling improving bike handling- former BMXer Robbie Mcewen has thrilled an untold number of fans with his handling abilities in the final stretches of many a stage. An increasing number of pros cut their teeth on the MTB circuit (Cristophe Moreau, Cadel Evans and Floyd Landis to name a few) and none are known for poor handling skills.
Bottom line: ride and enjoy it. If anyone gives you guff about how you're dressed or what you ride tell 'em to get on their bikes and ride :D
I couldn't agree more. I started riding a mountain bike for fitness. Being a little more than slightly crazy, I had a few spectacular wrecks - broke a couple of things. My wife pleaded with me to ride a road bike instead. I tried it and liked it. I respect anybody who straddles a seat and hammers the pedals (or reclines and hammers - a la 'bent riders).

BanditBoyDavid said:
The other day while resting on ride a man pulled up next to me and told me that he thinks that only roadies are real cyclist and that mountain bikers are not. I didn't believe him and still think that Mountain Bikers are real cyclist. But he got me thinking of what other people think of mountain bikers.
I wonder if Lance was out riding his mountain bike and this same guy rode up beside him if he would have said that about mountain bikers.......

I am a roadie and have been one for about 30 years .... However, about 8 years ago I bought a mountain bike ...... I spent more time riding that summer then I ever did on my road bike ..... And here is what I find interesting ...... My average daily ride was a little over an hour for both bikes ....... I have a heart rate monitor and when I finished the "fun" mtb ride , the HRM said I got a great workout ..... When I tried to match that output on my road bike , the fun factor dropped. And I ride for fun and fitness, not for anything competitive.....
I simplified my life and sold the mountain bike.... Mistake . This spring there were days I would have been out riding .....
I would almost bet that the average mountain biker is in better overall condition then the roadie that rides the same amount of time.....
Also ...... Mountain bikers can wear clothing that is fit for wearing in a coffee shop .....
From a roadie......

Whether you are a roadie or mountain biker, both use a bicycle and in my book that means both are cyclists. They just use different terrains. For me, I have more fun off-road than on-road. Tried of dodging the lousy auto drivers who never seem to yield to a roadie.

its like saying people who drives an SUV or 4X4 are not driver, only those who drives a sports car is a driver.

I've been a MTN. Biker for 20 years, after my next grueling ride I'll ask my legs, lungs, heart , etc. if they belong to a real cyclist. My legs would certainly respond and give that guy an a**- kicking

mountainz said:
I've been a MTN. Biker for 20 years, after my next grueling ride I'll ask my legs, lungs, heart , etc. if they belong to a real cyclist. My legs would certainly respond and give that guy an a**- kicking
I want to post an addendum:, I bought a road bike at a swap meet on Sunday, now I can join the ranks of all my MTB buds that ride MT. & RB's. :D :D :D

spacelord said:
Mountian bikers are BIKERS, not cyclists. I am both a roadie and a mountian biker, but I have been mountian bikeing for much longer than I have been riding roads. I never refered to myself as a "cyclist" when on a mountian bike.
Ever notice how BIKERS can't spell better than a 5-year old can? :rolleyes:

spacelord said:
Mountian bikers are BIKERS, not cyclists. I am both a roadie and a mountian biker, but I have been mountian bikeing for much longer than I have been riding roads. I never refered to myself as a "cyclist" when on a mountian bike.
You obviously take yourself way too seriously, ride to live, live to ride dude. Don't get your identity tied up in labels, we're all God's Children, brother.

mountainz said:
You obviously take yourself way too seriously, ride to live, live to ride dude. Don't get your identity tied up in labels, we're all God's Children, brother.
No, I just take seriously the way I write and speak the language that I use. Whether you realize it or not, it says a lot about you.