Are Mountain Bikers Real Cyclist

Wurm said:
No, I just take seriously the way I write and speak the language that I use. Whether you realize it or not, it says a lot about you.
I'm curious..... What does it say about a person who is a lousy speller and has a problem with correct pronunciation?????

just thought i would point this out to nay sayers...

"cy·clist

n. One who rides or races a bicycle, motorcycle, or similar vehicle." http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=cyclist

http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=cyclist&x=0&y=0

Main Entry: cy·clist
Pronunciation: 'sI-k(&-)l&st
Function: noun
: one who rides a cycle

Main Entry: 1cy·cle
Pronunciation: 'sI-k&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English cicle, from Late Latin cyclus, from Greek kyklos circle, wheel, cycle -- more at [size=-1]WHEEL[/size]
1 : an interval of time during which a sequence of a recurring succession of events or phenomena is completed
2 a : a course or series of events or operations that recur regularly and usually lead back to the starting point b : one complete performance of a vibration, electric oscillation, current alternation, or other periodic process c : a permutation of a set of ordered elements in which each element takes the place of the next and the last becomes first
3 : a circular or spiral arrangement: as a : an imaginary circle or orbit in the heavens b : [size=-1]WHORL[/size] c : [size=-1]RING [/size]10
4 : a long period of time : [size=-1]AGE[/size]
5 a : a group of poems, plays, novels, or songs treating the same theme b : a series of narratives dealing typically with the exploits of a legendary hero
6 a : [size=-1]BICYCLE[/size] b : [size=-1]TRICYCLE[/size] c : [size=-1]MOTORCYCLE[/size]
7 : the series of a single, double, triple, and home run hit in any order by one player during one baseball game
pixt.gif

http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=cycle

you know the only true cyclist rides a chopper.
everyone else just jumps on the bandwagon. unless of course we talk about observed trials...

Cyclist14 said:
Anyone riding a bike is a Cyclist, but BMXers kind of stretch the limits

Wurm said:
No, I just take seriously the way I write and speak the language that I use. Whether you realize it or not, it says a lot about you.
Very well then. Can you say I'm an anal retentive dyslexic?:D :D :D

ah to invoke webster, a sign of last ditch desperation.
one could look up "north" and then "true north". there is a difference.
same for "cross" or "true cross"
using this rationale one who plays badmitton is the true raquet sportsperson over tennis.
or go kart racer over formula one.

truth is, road cycling has a heritage that cannot be matched by any upstart abomination and as such remains the highest standard to which the cyclist may endeavour to attain. this being the case it is and always will be the only vehicle upon one can hope to be a true cyclist.

if you read on someone resorts to mentioning Lance Armstrong would be a true cyclist if on a mtb.
seems he did choose the discipline of the road did he not?

we cannot hope to reach his level perhaps but we can choose road as well.

alorlious said:
According to Webster a cyclist is one who rides a cycle.

They also say a cycle is a bicycle, tricycle or motorcycle.

Most of my friends who are mountain bikers first and road bikers second are better climbers than those who are the other way around or not mountain bikers at all. For what that's worth.

In this thread we could clearly see who are the real cyclist. Some of us including me does not really care if we are considered real cyclist or not. We just love the ride and the bike, both road and mtb. And some of you out there are posers. You ride because of Lance or the 'prestige' of cycling or for what ever dumb reason. Posers!!!:D

wolfix said:
I'm curious..... What does it say about a person who is a lousy speller and has a problem with correct pronunciation?????
Well, I guess if you don't know by now, I'll never be able to tell you. :rolleyes:

spacelord said:
Mountian bikers are BIKERS, not cyclists. I am both a roadie and a mountian biker, but I have been mountian bikeing for much longer than I have been riding roads. I never refered to myself as a "cyclist" when on a mountian bike.
okay, lemme get this clear...

mountain bikers are bikers not cyclists...

roadies ARE cyclists..?

the word 'cyclist' comes from the word bicycle as does the word 'biker', they mean the same thing.

by your crazy fcuked up logic you are a roadie and therefore not a cyclist either.

like the guy said, forget labels and get a life..

spacelord said:
Mountian bikers are BIKERS, not cyclists. I am both a roadie and a mountian biker, but I have been mountian bikeing for much longer than I have been riding roads. I never refered to myself as a "cyclist" when on a mountian bike.
Aren't you the little roadie that never waves back when I pass by on my MTB?

animalchin said:
Why does that definition matter anyway? Just get on your bike!
Amen...I think it is an interesting question to see how people view themselves...I consider myself a cyclist even though I only ride a MTB...It is a part of my life...it saved me...literally...I was spiriling out of control health wise and I got on a bike at the urging of a friend...that was 2 years ago and I have never looked back. When you walk into my house all you see is bikes and equipment and tools...Just as a person who flies calls themselves a pilot, someone who rides a bike is a cyclist.

I love MTB'ing but I spend just as much time on the road as off of it. Soon I am going to invest in a road bike so I can really enjoy that side of the sport. Don't classify yourself just get on your BIKE and be in the moment!!! :)

heater said:
You try pedalling a 40lb+ bike uphill for an hour and tell me that's not dedication!
I could do that all day if I too had a 20T ring and 34T out back.

I don't often see DH'ers going uphill under their own power. That's why they call themselves "Downhillers".

:D
Wurm said:
I could do that all day if I too had a 20T ring and 34T out back.

I don't often see DH'ers going uphill under their own power. That's why they call themselves "Downhillers".
:D Hey Wurm ! We get your point already, it's on the top of your head.:D

Real cyclists don't buy bikes for looks, don't spend hours deciding whether to wax or shave, don't have to have the latest sponsor on their jersey, don't worry about saving 2 grams on a pair of $300 pedals and argue about non existent flex in their cranks, don't think LA is the best rider in the history of the world as we know it and then spend time on cycling forums arguing that they are better than other people who pedal.

They ride their bikes (recumbents, bmx, mtb, road, hybrid etc) and enjoy doing it. :)

:D Go get'em Tiger!!!! This whole ELITIST attitude is new to me, I've been CYCLING on MTB's for 20 years, and I must say that the vast majority of MT. Cyclists of been down to earth. (pun intended) I just bought my 1st Road Bike recently, And have really enjoyed CYCLING on that also. The big Question: what are all the posers that have USPS jerseys going to do with them now that Lance is Cycling for the DISCOVERY Team?

mountainz said:
The big Question: what are all the posers that have USPS jerseys going to do with them now that Lance is Cycling for the DISCOVERY Team?
They'll just have to wear the USPS jerseys on solo rides, and when it's time to show off on a group ride, bring the Disco jersey.

:rolleyes:

I'm a little perplexed by the notion that downhillers aren't cyclists??
I've ridden road, XC and am now downhilling, and I would be the first to admit that although I can cane around the mountains all day on a XC bike, After 5 Mins of intense downhill action, my entire body is completely pumped.
Its the most intense cycling i've ever done.
To top it all, skills wise, by the time your half way down and your body is burning, you still have to be able to lay it on for the big jumps, and technical sections when all you want to do is sit down and rest your calves and forearms.

If you knew any downhill racers, you'd find they are athletes. They train in the gym, on the road or XC as hard as anyone who races any other discipline.
You may think gravity is doing the work, but you'd be wrong.

Oh, and you don't see many DH bikes with 20T rings......i think the norm is around 40T. And if you'd ever tried even pushing a 40lb + rig to the top of a mountain, you may have some idea of exactly how much work is involved.
It's easy to sit down and plug away with a cadence which is comfortable on a 20lb bike.

All said and done though, one of the good things about riding of all disciplines is that the people by and large are pretty cool anyway.
I've found the DH boys and girls to be very laid back, and even the big boys who are amazing to watch, are very understated about themselves. Maybe thats what comes from actually respecting your discipline, and knowing that the courses you ride have the ability to turn nasty at the slightest drop of cencentration, and to take anything for granted is the way that accidents happen.

And whats up with BMXers?? If you saw how much they practice to get as good as they are, maybe they'd be given a little more respect as brotherins.
I could only wish that i had the kind of skills it takes to do the stuff you see even the kids doing.
And its great to see that cycling in some guise still appeals to the youngsters :)

xtreme4life said:
I'm a little perplexed by the notion that downhillers aren't cyclists??...
Speaking only for myself, in large part I'm just "busting ass" on the DHer's, MTBer's & BMXer's. ;) I used to love the DH/freeriding that I did quite often - it was a blast and no, isn't is NOT easy physically. You simply use different muscle groups in an anaerobic way than in the aerobic way with road cycling.

Yes, I think we're ALL "cyclists", and all deserve respect for the efforts they put in to be good at whichever form of cycling they do.