Are Mountain Bikers Real Cyclist

Yes they are just a different breed
smile.gif

Let's see, 127 YES votes from the open-minded cyclists, and 24 NO votes from the closed-minded elitist dild***. It's obvious that these numbers corelate with the I.Q. levels of the two groups. For those in the latter group, the answer is NO, I will not explain it to you.:D :D

mountainz said:
Let's see, 127 YES votes from the open-minded cyclists, and 24 NO votes from the closed-minded elitist dild***. It's obvious that these numbers corelate with the I.Q. levels of the two groups. For those in the latter group, the answer is NO, I will not explain it to you.:D :D

I can't help thinking your name gives a hint to your bias in this thread. You obviously shoot to kill.

I'm biased on the side of cycling period, whether it be ROAD or MTB. I ride both Road and Mtb, and I encounter mountains on each. I enjoy skewering pompous elitists who believe they are better than the rest of us monkeys in the human zoo. Fair Dinkum !:D :D

EnigManiac said:
Anyone who rides a bike, whether it's a racing bike, road, BMX, mountain, cyclo-cross, cruiser or chopper, they're all cyclists. Why anyone would denegrate a fellow cyclist, of any stripe, is beyond me. Who cares what they ride: THAT they ride is what matters.
I would have to agree. I started out BMX racing when I was 14. When I started breaking bones that's when I picked up road racing. I think BMX racing has helped me a lot in becoming a roadie.

I've only ever cycled/competed, in roadracing.

I think anyone who cycles a bike (commute/race/gym), be it a BMX, MTB, Road,
Hybrid, Recumbent, is a cyclist.

I see no distinction and I wouldn't look down on someone who doesn't happen to cycle a roadbike.
We're a broad church, don't you know.

I figure that anyone who says hello as we pass is a cyclist. These are the ones who are out enjoying the bike, what I consider the primary defining factor of a cyclist.

I also can’t remember a time when I did not get at least a head nod, even from the professionals when they fly past during the Tour down under. I can remember a couple of years back when I was passed by the Cedit Agricole and they all said hello and encourage me to keep going.

Guess I am just luck to be living in Adelaide. :D

we just need to define our terms, a mountain biker is indeed an offshoot of the true cyclist. this is not closed minded when faced with the history of road heritage.
if one takes this personal to the point of being derogatory toward those responding, perhaps there are other issues coming to bear...
say it with me "mountain cyclist" simply cannot have the credibilty that road does, if only in terms of recognition hard won over generations of greatness.

and true, if you do not want to be elite, stay away from the road...

mountainz said:

Hypnospin said:
we just need to define our terms, a mountain biker is indeed an offshoot of the true cyclist. this is not closed minded when faced with the history of road heritage.
if one takes this personal to the point of being derogatory toward those responding, perhaps there are other issues coming to bear...
say it with me "mountain cyclist" simply cannot have the credibilty that road does, if only in terms of recognition hard won over generations of greatness.

True dat. I think it is more the sense of 100+ years of history with roadie's than necessarily a snobbishness, though there are those that need a $5k+ rig with all the newest shiny baubles to feel superior.

Get a cup of nice tea, assume the lotus position, say "kumbayah" and let us meditate....

Hypnospin said:

Go back to when the bike was first invented and use. What were the *roads* like? Maybe the first bikes were suitable for off-road use.

Hypnospin said:
we just need to define our terms, ...
define terms?....what terms?...are you off your bloody rocker?

if you ride a bicycle you are a cyclist. Its that simple.

i have highlghted it for you to help you understand it a little easier. You are having a lot of trouble grasping this astoundingly complex concept....

now, what were those terms you need defining?

Idiot.

Hypnospin said:
road riders arent the only ones classed by UCI as 'elite' you ******.

world cup and NPS mtb have an elite class....dont you know anything?

:D
mitosis said:
Go back to when the bike was first invented and use. What were the *roads* like? Maybe the first bikes were suitable for off-road use.
Well EXCUSE ME, Hypnospin the Great. In your honor a monument is being constructed . My Great Dane is in the back yard working on it right now.:D

Anyone who cycles in reality is a real cyclist.

Although I'm a roadie in general, I've had some great times on some great bikes off-road.

I don't really 'get' bike snobbery, but that may be due to the fact that I've mostly biked with local guys who ride whatever bikes they can get under whatever conditions seem to yield some good enough times.

So now that I'm a middle-aged guy thinking of bike touring, my attitude has been set, I'm thinking.

Methinks Hypno is not biting on the troll bait. Try something else?

thusly humbled, hypnos is now stalking the road forum. either that, or blowing by fully suspended bouncing freeriders on the local fire roads...

MountainPro said:
you you bloody rocker?

if you ride a bicycle you are a cyclist. Its that simple.

Hypnospin said:
thusly humbled, hypnos is now stalking the road forum. either that, or blowing by fully suspended bouncing freeriders on the local fire roads...
just as i thought, another waffler.

you are so concerned about being an 'elite' rider that you forgot to check your facts....

VaBiker said:
I drop the "poser" roadies many times on my $126.00 Schwinn MTB some are just A- holes others are cool. The funniest roadies are the ones who see me in their mirror and they try to keep ahead of me, then when I catch them they all of the sudden turn off from their route. One guy I caught up with turned off the same way I was turning off and then makes a U turn when he realized that I was going in the same direction.

I always avoid other riders making an effort to catch up to me or to make a show of passing. If I didn't want to ride solo I'd go out with a buddy or my lady and ride. I've even gone so far as to stop and let the curious george go by. If I'm out riding 12 mph and just relaxing alone I don't want some doofus approaching me. Not that your a doofus, but that you -want- to catch or drop someone else you see out riding does qualify you. An experienced cyclist knows it isn't all 25+mph and pelotans/pacelines. If you want to race, go to an organized race. Then when someone blows past you for a block or two while you're out touring a neighbourhood you can laugh at them laughing at you. Impromptu street racing seems even more juvenile than it actually is when you -actually- race.

This thread is so weak...this whole forum is though.

Hypnospin said:

Dam are you ever a noob. If you want to bring history into it, you had better be aware that the first bicycles had no pedals, chains or tires and were pushed along by your feet. Most of the originators of this heritage you claim rolled about on a flat wooden floor in an enclosed room in a circle as though they were roller skaters. Next came track racing...on dirt. It was awhile before people began to race cross-country on roads that often weren't paved. As for your likely definition of "true cyclist" i.e. 2 wheels and a chain drivetrain then you should ask an intelligent roadie buddy what a "velodrome" is and what it is they do there, rookie.

Hypnospin said:

Christ are you ever a noob! When you try to take the intellectual/elitest high road online it's always a good idea to learn and use proper grammer in order to avoid your post reading like it was written by a third grader with a stick in its ass. AS for derogatory, how about you please keep talking for all the super-cool-elite out there. They'll be needing a spokesperson to humble them with footnmouth disease and since you'll never be among them physically you can serve them with your troll doll ignorance of and on the internet and cycling.

Hypnospin said:

I've raced USCF and NORBA and moved up in both. "credibility" and "greatness" are aspects only of -individuals- and not types of cycling/racing. For instance I stomped on the necks of other Cat5 racers from the first. They were beginners, I wasn't. However I had only ever raced NORBA and was forced to jump through the same hoops as everyone else, no sweat. MY credibility rose significantly among those I raced even though I didn't shave my legs and once they knew I wasn't sandbagging. Part of that was that I wasn't an ignorant slob and treated them like people just as I should.
As for greatness...do you think Lance is great because he is the best or because he rides a road bike? Again, if you want to argue semantics it's recommended that you learn the language you claim to speak. If you only wanted to argue the topic I'd recommend those english lessons because it'll take a few minutes longer to paint yourself in a corner if you can blame your gibberish on a misinterpretation.

Hypnospin said:

That is true. Not the way an idiot like yourself would have it be true, you friggin moron. More like this "If you do not want to be elite then by all means limit your horizons"

The true elite cross train to get there. If you want to excel at any one form of cycling (like actually racing, to excel in a race, not on your club ride, dipshit) you become as adept as you may at all forms while focusing what you learn on your choosen specialty. For instance if you want to excel on the road you need to spend some time on the track. You want to learn to use only the front brake in a superior manner? Go off-road. You want to learn fast mount/dismount? Go Cyclo-cross. (no, you don't want to dismount in a road race, but sometimes you have to and to excel you must have some skill in all aspects of your race especially the unexpected) You want to learn about torque to improve your sprints? Go back off-road. You want to learn to spin really well to help you up those tremendous switchbacks while racing off-road? Go first to the track, then to the road.

The right tool for the right job, to be truly great you can't limit yourself the way this doofus Hippospin would want you to. If you could ask Lance you don't think he'd tell you the benefits of the velodrome or off-roading and how it can improve your game>?

Oh and on topic, this stoopid godawful topic why does bikecafe only have stoopid topics topic. Semantically, technically in any form fashion or function if you are sitting on something and it is rolling and it looks like a bicycle/tricycle/penny farthing/upright foot scooter you are cycling and are a cyclist while you are doing that. Anyone that tries to reserve the word for a smaller centric circle of the larger body is an idiot and to be treated thusly.

Glowingrod said:
That is true. Not the way an idiot like yourself would have it be true, you friggin moron. More like this "If you do not want to be elite then by all means limit your horizons"
I like this guy, he can see through the fraud that is Hypnodick.