Are my RSX shifters dead?

Mudnyereye

May 7, 2007
I have a touring bike with RSX shifters. I picked up this bike at a garage sale for cheap and it has served me well. This Spring I started having problems with the shifters. The shifter for the front derailer won't shift up to the larger rings and the rear shifter is sticking on cool mornings. (It won't shift up). I do some maintenance on my bike but this is beyond my skills.
I took the bike to a bike shop as I figured maybe changing cables would solve it but they say I need new shifters at about $200+. Heck that's more than I paid for the bike!
There is a guy on E-bay that says he can fix them for $50. Does anyone know if these things can be fixed or am I stuck buying new ones?
I can't believe my bike season is on hold again.

Heard lots of folks having some success flushing them out with WD-40. What I'd do to further diagnose is disconnect the cable and shift them through the range with no load. If you are getting goods "clicks" then most likely a dirty cable is your fix.

Mudnyereye said:
There is a guy on E-bay that says he can fix them for $50. Does anyone know if these things can be fixed or am I stuck buying new ones?
I can't believe my bike season is on hold again.

Can you tell me what model year of RSX shifter? I presume they are about ten years old. Let me know if the WD-40 doesn't work as it's difficult to repair STI shifters.

I have some old RSX 7-spd and RX-100 8-spd shifters that I have pulled off some of my old bikes as the right shifter started to perform poorly. I switched to bar-end shifters on my touring bike due to concerns about the durability of the low-end STI shifters.

If you're in the US, I could drop them in the mail or check out www.loosescrews.com as they have low end seven and eight speed STI shifters.

leebm said:
Can you tell me what model year of RSX shifter? I presume they are about ten years old. Let me know if the WD-40 doesn't work as it's difficult to repair STI shifters.

I have some old RSX 7-spd and RX-100 8-spd shifters that I have pulled off some of my old bikes as the right shifter started to perform poorly. I switched to bar-end shifters on my touring bike due to concerns about the durability of the low-end STI shifters.

If you're in the US, I could drop them in the mail or check out www.loosescrews.com as they have low end seven and eight speed STI shifters.
I'm not sure the exact age as I bought the bike in a garage sale about 4 years ago. I found a guy at a bike shop here in Ottawa that says he can fix it. I gave it to him to try. if it doesn't work, I'm not out anything really. How much would you want for an old, left hand shifter?

capwater said:
Heard lots of folks having some success flushing them out with WD-40. What I'd do to further diagnose is disconnect the cable and shift them through the range with no load. If you are getting goods "clicks" then most likely a dirty cable is your fix.
Thanks for the input. I took the cables off the shifter and was unable to get any good clicks. I found a guy here in Ottawa that says he can fix em. I'll give him a try.