Are psyllium seeds a good weight loss aid?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Daddyzak, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Daddyzak

    Daddyzak Guest

    I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i was just wondering if anyone
    here had an opinion on their use.

    Thanks!

    Daddy Zak

    Tags:

  2. Chrys

    Chrys Guest

    "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
    was
    > just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Daddy Zak

    Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle of
    seeds though, you'd be better off eating more foods that have high fiber.

  3. Daddyzak

    Daddyzak Guest

    "Chrys" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
    198599.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
    > was
    >> just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Daddy Zak
    >
    > Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle
    > of seeds though, you'd be better off eating more foods that have high fiber.

    Thanks for your opinion. What do you think of metamucil? any good?

  4. Chrys

    Chrys Guest

    "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Chrys" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] 198599.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > > "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
    > > was
    > >> just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>
    > >> Daddy Zak
    > >
    > > Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle
    > > of seeds though, you'd be better off
    eating
    > > more foods that have high fiber.
    > >

    > Thanks for your opinion. What do you think of metamucil? any good?

    I looked into it when I was trying to eat more fiber, but it seems overly expensive and you have to
    use a lot of it. High fiber cereal is much cheaper and easier.

  5. Laura

    Laura Guest

    "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Chrys" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] 198599.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    > > "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
    > > was
    > >> just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>
    > >> Daddy Zak
    > >
    > > Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle
    > > of seeds though, you'd be better off eating more foods that have high fiber.
    > >

    > Thanks for your opinion. What do you think of metamucil? any good?

    You would be better off eating stuff high in fiber instead of metamucil. Only use this stuff if you
    are constipated. Neither will really help you lose weight other than to fill you up faster so you
    eat less. Metamucil also gives some people gas.

  6. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:57:13 -0600, DaddyZak <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Chrys" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] 198599.news.uni-berlin.de:
    >
    >> "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
    >> was
    >>> just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Daddy Zak
    >>
    >> Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle
    >> of seeds though, you'd be better off eating more foods that have high fiber.
    >>

    >Thanks for your opinion. What do you think of metamucil? any good?

    Be careful with the metamucil. It is a bulk laxitive, not a fiber replacement or an aid in
    weightloss. It states right on the jar that using too often can/will cause your body to rely on it,
    instead of going through natural methods to rid the waste.

    Joyce

  7. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and effective for
    keeping me regular. Healthy too. I would say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I
    am Never "stopped up" Ever.

    Lesanne
    (365)247/157.5/164

  8. Limeyno1

    Limeyno1 Guest

    Lesanne! Your weight loss is super!

    --
    Helen

    Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
    of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

    <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

    [email protected]

    225/190/145

    "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and effective
    > for keeping me regular. Healthy too. I
    would
    > say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I am Never "stopped up" Ever.
    >
    > Lesanne
    > (365)247/157.5/164

  9. Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?

    --
    Take Care Catherine
    154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2

    "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and effective
    > for keeping me regular. Healthy too. I
    would
    > say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I am Never "stopped up" Ever.
    >
    > Lesanne
    > (365)247/157.5/164

  10. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy them by
    the pound, then take em a tablespoon each morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar
    in the refrigerator.

    "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?
    >
    > --
    > Take Care Catherine
    > 154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2
    >

    > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and effective
    > > for keeping me regular. Healthy too. I
    > would
    > > say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I am Never "stopped up" Ever.
    > >
    > > Lesanne
    > > (365)247/157.5/164

  11. Laura

    Laura Guest

    What do they taste like? How do you eat them?

    Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have is that I forget to take my
    metamcil and get "stopped up".

    "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy them
    > by the pound, then take em a tablespoon
    each
    > morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
    >
    > "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:D[email protected]...
    > > Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Take Care Catherine
    > > 154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2
    > >

    > > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and
    > > > effective for keeping me regular. Healthy too. I
    > > would
    > > > say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I am Never "stopped up" Ever.
    > > >
    > > > Lesanne
    > > > (365)247/157.5/164

  12. Limeyno1

    Limeyno1 Guest

    Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next day, the opposite effect on my
    regularity. This morning I went back to bran buds.

    --
    Helen

    Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
    of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

    <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

    [email protected]

    225/190/145

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
    >
    > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have
    is
    > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".
    >
    > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy them
    > > by the pound, then take em a tablespoon
    > each
    > > morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
    > >
    > > "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:D[email protected]...
    > > > Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Take Care Catherine
    > > > 154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2
    > > >

    > > > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > would

  13. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    Okay. I don't count that point. They mostly travel undigested actually :).
    If you put one in your mouth and hold it there (I do this kind of stuff
    because of my Dad, the pathologist, (and DDS) who was always trying
    experiments with us children, while he was searching for the cure for tooth
    decay) I know too much info again,,, but if you do that, your saliva will
    make them sort of get really really slippery, as if they grow a little
    gelatin coat. These ground up, are psyllium, which is what I think
    metamucil is, so we are just eliminating (snort) the middle man. I dump a
    tablespoon of them in my mouth and drink a glass of water, which washes most
    of them down untasted. The little leftovers that stick because of their
    little slippery coats, I chew up. I keep the jar in the refrigerator, right
    next to the coffee. EAsy. Cheap. and totally effective. I have not had a
    problem with being "stopped up" since I began this little habit. Also
    supposedly they are major good for you. A win - win
    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
    >
    > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have
    is
    > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".
    >
    > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy them
    > > by the pound, then take em a tablespoon
    > each
    > > morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
    > >
    > > "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:D[email protected]...
    > > > Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Take Care Catherine
    > > > 154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2
    > > >

    > > > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > would

  14. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    WATER!

    "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next day, the opposite effect on my
    > regularity. This morning I went back to bran buds.
    >
    > --
    > Helen
    >
    > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
    > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
    >
    > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
    >
    > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
    >
    > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    > 225/190/145
    >

    > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
    > >
    > > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have
    > is
    > > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".
    > >
    > > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy
    > > > them by the pound, then take em a
    tablespoon
    > > each
    > > > morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
    > > >
    > > > "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:D[email protected]...

    Never

  15. Laura

    Laura Guest

    One of these days I'll try them. I'll have to find a Health food store. We used to have one but it
    closed a few years ago.

    "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Okay. I don't count that point. They mostly travel undigested actually
    :).
    > If you put one in your mouth and hold it there (I do this kind of stuff because of my Dad, the
    > pathologist, (and DDS) who was always trying experiments with us children, while he was searching
    > for the cure for
    tooth
    > decay) I know too much info again,,, but if you do that, your saliva will make them sort of get
    > really really slippery, as if they grow a little gelatin coat. These ground up, are psyllium,
    > which is what I think metamucil is, so we are just eliminating (snort) the middle man. I dump a
    > tablespoon of them in my mouth and drink a glass of water, which washes
    most
    > of them down untasted. The little leftovers that stick because of their little slippery coats, I
    > chew up. I keep the jar in the refrigerator,
    right
    > next to the coffee. EAsy. Cheap. and totally effective. I have not had
    > problem with being "stopped up" since I began this little habit. Also supposedly they are major
    > good for you. A win - win "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
    > >
    > > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have
    > is
    > > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".
    > >
    > > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy
    > > > them by the pound, then take em a
    tablespoon
    > > each
    > > > morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
    > > >
    > > > "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:D[email protected]...

    Never

  16. Laura

    Laura Guest

    KNOCK IT OFF! I'm making too many trips to the bathroom today! <g>

    "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > WATER!
    >
    > "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next
    day,
    > > the opposite effect on my regularity. This morning I went back to bran buds.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Helen
    > >
    > > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
    > > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
    > >
    > > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
    > >
    > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
    > >
    > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    > >
    > > 225/190/145
    > >

    > > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
    > > >
    > > > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I
    have
    > > is
    > > > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".

    > tablespoon
    > > > each

    > every
    > Never

  17. Limeyno1

    Limeyno1 Guest

    I used tea, not really hard to get down, just would divide it. But, I took them yesterday morning
    and today I'm all stopped up.

    --
    Helen

    Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
    of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

    <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

    http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

    [email protected]

    225/190/145

    "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > WATER!
    >
    > "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next
    day,
    > > the opposite effect on my regularity. This morning I went back to bran buds.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Helen
    > >
    > > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
    > > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
    > >
    > > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
    > >
    > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
    > >
    > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    > >
    > > 225/190/145
    > >

    > > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > > > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
    > > >
    > > > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I
    have
    > > is
    > > > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".

    > tablespoon
    > > > each

    > every
    > Never

  18. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    ROTFL oh no, can't laugh too hard, oops gotta go gotta go gotta go...

    "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    > KNOCK IT OFF! I'm making too many trips to the bathroom today! <g>
    >
    > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > WATER!
    > >
    > > "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next
    > day,
    > > > the opposite effect on my regularity. This morning I went back to
    bran
    > > > buds.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Helen
    > > >
    > > > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
    > > > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
    > > >
    > > > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
    > > >
    > > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
    > > >
    > > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
    > > >
    > > > [email protected]
    > > >
    > > > 225/190/145
    > > >

    > > > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

    > have
    > > > is

    > > tablespoon

    > > every
    > too.
    > > Never

  19. Lesanne

    Lesanne Guest

    Truly strange. Everyone I know who eats them gets the opposite result. I found out about it from a
    friend who is a massage therapist. She makes home made whole wheat crackers with them in there.
    Calls em "crap*ers" and sells a bunch of em out of her business.

    "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    > I used tea, not really hard to get down, just would divide it. But, I
    took
    > them yesterday morning and today I'm all stopped up.
    >
    > --
    > Helen
    >
    > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
    > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
    >
    > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
    >
    > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
    >
    > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
    >
    > [email protected]
    >
    > 225/190/145
    >

    > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > WATER!
    > >
    > > "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:VwyOb.2511[email protected]...
    > > > Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next
    > day,
    > > > the opposite effect on my regularity. This morning I went back to
    bran
    > > > buds.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Helen
    > > >
    > > > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
    > > > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
    > > >
    > > > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
    > > >
    > > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
    > > >
    > > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
    > > >
    > > > [email protected]
    > > >
    > > > 225/190/145
    > > >

    > > > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

    > have
    > > > is

    > > tablespoon

    > > every
    > too.
    > > Never

  20. Limeyno1

    Limeyno1 Guest

    It may not be the flax. I have a lot of problems losing weight mainly because of my medical
    conditions. One of which is IBS. One of the conditions associated with FMS. So I go through cycles
    of loose and hard. Right now it's hard. I can't do any real exercise because of my severe arthritis
    and a ruptured lumbar disc, but I try and walk as much as I can. I may try it again when my body
    settles back to normal again.