Are psyllium seeds a good weight loss aid?

Daddyzak

Guest
I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i was just wondering if anyone
here had an opinion on their use.

Thanks!

Daddy Zak

"DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
was
> just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Daddy Zak

Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle of
seeds though, you'd be better off eating more foods that have high fiber.

"Chrys" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bu6g4a$dqhd6$1@ID-
198599.news.uni-berlin.de:

> "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
> was
>> just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Daddy Zak
>
> Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle
> of seeds though, you'd be better off eating more foods that have high fiber.

Thanks for your opinion. What do you think of metamucil? any good?

"DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Chrys" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bu6g4a$dqhd6$1@ID- 198599.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
> > "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
> > was
> >> just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Daddy Zak
> >
> > Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle
> > of seeds though, you'd be better off
eating
> > more foods that have high fiber.
> >

> Thanks for your opinion. What do you think of metamucil? any good?

I looked into it when I was trying to eat more fiber, but it seems overly expensive and you have to
use a lot of it. High fiber cereal is much cheaper and easier.

"DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Chrys" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bu6g4a$dqhd6$1@ID- 198599.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
> > "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
> > was
> >> just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Daddy Zak
> >
> > Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle
> > of seeds though, you'd be better off eating more foods that have high fiber.
> >

> Thanks for your opinion. What do you think of metamucil? any good?

You would be better off eating stuff high in fiber instead of metamucil. Only use this stuff if you
are constipated. Neither will really help you lose weight other than to fill you up faster so you
eat less. Metamucil also gives some people gas.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:57:13 -0600, DaddyZak <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Chrys" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bu6g4a$dqhd6$1@ID- 198599.news.uni-berlin.de:
>
>> "DaddyZak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> I've heard so much conjecture over the past few months from friends i
>> was
>>> just wondering if anyone here had an opinion on their use.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Daddy Zak
>>
>> Psyllium is a source of fiber. Fiber is supposed to aid weight loss. Rather than buying a bottle
>> of seeds though, you'd be better off eating more foods that have high fiber.
>>

>Thanks for your opinion. What do you think of metamucil? any good?

Be careful with the metamucil. It is a bulk laxitive, not a fiber replacement or an aid in
weightloss. It states right on the jar that using too often can/will cause your body to rely on it,
instead of going through natural methods to rid the waste.

Joyce

A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and effective for
keeping me regular. Healthy too. I would say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I
am Never "stopped up" Ever.

Lesanne
(365)247/157.5/164

Lesanne! Your weight loss is super!

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

<>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

[email protected]

225/190/145

"Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and effective
> for keeping me regular. Healthy too. I
would
> say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I am Never "stopped up" Ever.
>
> Lesanne
> (365)247/157.5/164

Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?

--
Take Care Catherine
154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2

"Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and effective
> for keeping me regular. Healthy too. I
would
> say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I am Never "stopped up" Ever.
>
> Lesanne
> (365)247/157.5/164

I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy them by
the pound, then take em a tablespoon each morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar
in the refrigerator.

"Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?
>
> --
> Take Care Catherine
> 154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2
>

> "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and effective
> > for keeping me regular. Healthy too. I
> would
> > say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I am Never "stopped up" Ever.
> >
> > Lesanne
> > (365)247/157.5/164

What do they taste like? How do you eat them?

Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have is that I forget to take my
metamcil and get "stopped up".

"Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy them
> by the pound, then take em a tablespoon
each
> morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
>
> "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
> > Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?
> >
> > --
> > Take Care Catherine
> > 154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2
> >

> > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > A late note. I swallow a tablespoon of regular old flax seeds every morning, cheap and
> > > effective for keeping me regular. Healthy too. I
> > would
> > > say that they definately did assist my weight loss, since I am Never "stopped up" Ever.
> > >
> > > Lesanne
> > > (365)247/157.5/164

Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next day, the opposite effect on my
regularity. This morning I went back to bran buds.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

<>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

[email protected]

225/190/145

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2uyOb.61790$6y6.1233362@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
>
> Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have
is
> that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".
>
> "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy them
> > by the pound, then take em a tablespoon
> each
> > morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
> >
> > "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:D[email protected]...
> > > Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Take Care Catherine
> > > 154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2
> > >

> > > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > would

Okay. I don't count that point. They mostly travel undigested actually :).
If you put one in your mouth and hold it there (I do this kind of stuff
because of my Dad, the pathologist, (and DDS) who was always trying
experiments with us children, while he was searching for the cure for tooth
decay) I know too much info again,,, but if you do that, your saliva will
make them sort of get really really slippery, as if they grow a little
gelatin coat. These ground up, are psyllium, which is what I think
metamucil is, so we are just eliminating (snort) the middle man. I dump a
tablespoon of them in my mouth and drink a glass of water, which washes most
of them down untasted. The little leftovers that stick because of their
little slippery coats, I chew up. I keep the jar in the refrigerator, right
next to the coffee. EAsy. Cheap. and totally effective. I have not had a
problem with being "stopped up" since I began this little habit. Also
supposedly they are major good for you. A win - win
"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
>
> Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have
is
> that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".
>
> "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy them
> > by the pound, then take em a tablespoon
> each
> > morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
> >
> > "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:D[email protected]...
> > > Hi, Lesanne, Where do you buy the sees?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Take Care Catherine
> > > 154/135.8/136 Lifetime 6/99 Next personal goal 133.2
> > >

> > > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > would

WATER!

"LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next day, the opposite effect on my
> regularity. This morning I went back to bran buds.
>
> --
> Helen
>
> Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
> object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
>
> <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
>
> http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
>
> http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
>
> [email protected]
>
> 225/190/145
>

> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2uyOb.61790$6y6.1233362@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
> >
> > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have
> is
> > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".
> >
> > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy
> > > them by the pound, then take em a
tablespoon
> > each
> > > morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
> > >
> > > "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:D[email protected]...

Never

One of these days I'll try them. I'll have to find a Health food store. We used to have one but it
closed a few years ago.

"Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Okay. I don't count that point. They mostly travel undigested actually
:).
> If you put one in your mouth and hold it there (I do this kind of stuff because of my Dad, the
> pathologist, (and DDS) who was always trying experiments with us children, while he was searching
> for the cure for
tooth
> decay) I know too much info again,,, but if you do that, your saliva will make them sort of get
> really really slippery, as if they grow a little gelatin coat. These ground up, are psyllium,
> which is what I think metamucil is, so we are just eliminating (snort) the middle man. I dump a
> tablespoon of them in my mouth and drink a glass of water, which washes
most
> of them down untasted. The little leftovers that stick because of their little slippery coats, I
> chew up. I keep the jar in the refrigerator,
right
> next to the coffee. EAsy. Cheap. and totally effective. I have not had
> problem with being "stopped up" since I began this little habit. Also supposedly they are major
> good for you. A win - win "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2uyOb.61790$6y6.1233362@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
> >
> > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I have
> is
> > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".
> >
> > "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I get them at a local health food store. They sell in bulk. Very inexpensive, I usually buy
> > > them by the pound, then take em a
tablespoon
> > each
> > > morning, and a pound lasts quite a while. Keep em in a jar in the refrigerator.
> > >
> > > "Catherine White" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:D[email protected]...

Never

KNOCK IT OFF! I'm making too many trips to the bathroom today! <g>

"Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> WATER!
>
> "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next
day,
> > the opposite effect on my regularity. This morning I went back to bran buds.
> >
> > --
> > Helen
> >
> > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
> > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
> >
> > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
> >
> > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
> >
> > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
> >
> > [email protected]
> >
> > 225/190/145
> >

> > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2uyOb.61790$6y6.1233362@bgtnsc05-
> > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
> > >
> > > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I
have
> > is
> > > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".

> tablespoon
> > > each

> every
> Never

I used tea, not really hard to get down, just would divide it. But, I took them yesterday morning
and today I'm all stopped up.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the object
of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him

<>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html

http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html

[email protected]

225/190/145

"Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> WATER!
>
> "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next
day,
> > the opposite effect on my regularity. This morning I went back to bran buds.
> >
> > --
> > Helen
> >
> > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
> > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
> >
> > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
> >
> > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
> >
> > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
> >
> > [email protected]
> >
> > 225/190/145
> >

> > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2uyOb.61790$6y6.1233362@bgtnsc05-
> > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > > What do they taste like? How do you eat them?
> > >
> > > Is the point you give up worth it? I think the other problem that I
have
> > is
> > > that I forget to take my metamcil and get "stopped up".

> tablespoon
> > > each

> every
> Never

ROTFL oh no, can't laugh too hard, oops gotta go gotta go gotta go...

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gZBOb.62902$6y6.1254288@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> KNOCK IT OFF! I'm making too many trips to the bathroom today! <g>
>
> "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > WATER!
> >
> > "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next
> day,
> > > the opposite effect on my regularity. This morning I went back to
bran
> > > buds.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Helen
> > >
> > > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
> > > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
> > >
> > > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
> > >
> > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
> > >
> > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
> > >
> > > [email protected]
> > >
> > > 225/190/145
> > >

> > > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2uyOb.61790$6y6.1233362@bgtnsc05-
> > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> have
> > > is

> > tablespoon

> > every
> too.
> > Never

Truly strange. Everyone I know who eats them gets the opposite result. I found out about it from a
friend who is a massage therapist. She makes home made whole wheat crackers with them in there.
Calls em "*****ers" and sells a bunch of em out of her business.

"LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
> I used tea, not really hard to get down, just would divide it. But, I
took
> them yesterday morning and today I'm all stopped up.
>
> --
> Helen
>
> Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
> object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
>
> <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
>
> http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
>
> http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
>
> [email protected]
>
> 225/190/145
>

> "Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > WATER!
> >
> > "LIMEYNO1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Well, I tried them. No real taste. Hard to get down. And the next
> day,
> > > the opposite effect on my regularity. This morning I went back to
bran
> > > buds.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Helen
> > >
> > > Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift: Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God is the
> > > object of our faith; the only faith that saves is faith in Him
> > >
> > > <>< ><> www.peagramfamily.com http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/
> > >
> > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/MY_WEIGHT_WATCHERS.html
> > >
> > > http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/RECIPES.html
> > >
> > > [email protected]
> > >
> > > 225/190/145
> > >

> > > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2uyOb.61790$6y6.1233362@bgtnsc05-
> > > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

> have
> > > is

> > tablespoon

> > every
> too.
> > Never

It may not be the flax. I have a lot of problems losing weight mainly because of my medical
conditions. One of which is IBS. One of the conditions associated with FMS. So I go through cycles
of loose and hard. Right now it's hard. I can't do any real exercise because of my severe arthritis
and a ruptured lumbar disc, but I try and walk as much as I can. I may try it again when my body
settles back to normal again.